Author Topic: Why send emails about ads?  (Read 455 times)

Offline sdb777

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Why send emails about ads?
« on: December 25, 2007, 02:39:43 PM »
Why would someone feel it necessary to send a message telling the seller that the item could possibly be found at another place(normally his buddies house) for a cost that is foolishly low? 
Is this some kind of way of saying that an item is so far out of their reach that they need to try to 'cut-down' a seller?

I've seen rifles being sold that look like the price maybe double the actual value, and I just continue on looking for the next possible item that fits my 'budget'.  I have never sent a email/IM to the seller saying his item is priced higher then my buddy can get them cheaper!  And then telling them to actually reduce the price or think about removing it(this user is now 'spammed' from my view).
I guess I could think of them as loser's, and just laugh at them....or maybe post their emails in an open forum so others could laugh also?

Has anyone else received these emails from other user's here?

Scott (rant over)
Custom Cartridge pens available.....

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Why send emails about ads?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 05:48:34 PM »
I'd appreciate a PM from you letting me know who is doing this. I've already banned one member over it. I absolutely do not put up with members spamming other members via IM or GBO E-mail for any reason.

The previous instance were several nasty PMs and e-mails telling a member in effect where to stick his items cuz they thought the price was too high.

If you've gotten these PMs or e-mails I'd like to see them and know who they came from. I take such actions seriously and will take the necessary actions to end it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline sdb777

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 01:04:37 AM »
Didn't know you took action against this kind of stuff?  It's good to know though....although I've already deleted the message that was sent from my email account.  The address from which it was sent is now in my "Spam Account", which is just fine by me.

I was just wanting to know why someone would feel the need to do this.......

Scott (day after CHRISTmas sales.....yuck) B
Custom Cartridge pens available.....

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 04:49:35 AM »
For me to take action I must know that it came in a PM thru the GBO PM system or from a GBO E-mail not just a regular e-mail. I punish only the improper use of the GBO PM and e-mail systems. I have no control over what someone does otherwise.

Most folks post on multiple sites and I make no attempt to worry about what happens other than on GBO.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 09:47:17 AM »
I could not give comment in your particular case not knowing the content and tone of the PM your talking about. However,  If someone knowledgeable in the appraisal of the sale item could advise a seller in a respectful manor that they may want to reconsider their asking price on something, I feel it could be off service to them.  Some people really don't have a clue how to price some items and are wasting their time and ours by asking way too much.   For instance, I would not be personally offended if I was advertising my S&W .38sp, Model 60 for $500 and someone were to PM me stating that the Blue Book of Gun Values shows an average resale of $350 for my gun and that I may want to rethink my asking price if I realy want to sell it.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 12:14:29 PM »
There have been times that I would have liked to responded.......as asking price used is often over retail price......

I don't......as it's against the rules......

besides, I figure anyone who buys should know the fair market value.....

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 12:27:42 PM »
I totally agree if done respectfully I have done that several times myself.

I can assure you what happened here was NOT respectful in any way shape form or fashion. It was mean spirited and hateful and totally in violation of our rules. Had it been posted online it likely would have resulted in an immediate ban of the individual.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 01:58:26 PM »
I totally agree if done respectfully I have done that several times myself.

I can assure you what happened here was NOT respectful in any way shape form or fashion. It was mean spirited and hateful and totally in violation of our rules. Had it been posted online it likely would have resulted in an immediate ban of the individual.

That's kind of what I figured.  That's why you will notice I put the words "in a respectful manor" in italics. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC