Author Topic: Recommended Loads - Old Army .45 Cal. (Correction)  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Marlin_444

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
  • Stand in the corner and SCREAM WITH ME!!!
Recommended Loads - Old Army .45 Cal. (Correction)
« on: June 21, 2008, 03:38:45 AM »
Hey All:

I am picking up an Old Army in .45 Caliber and want some direction from you on suggested loads...

The BP Revolvers I have shot in the past are Remington 1858's and Colt 1851's using

1.  30 Grain Pyrodex Pellet
2.  Wonder Wad
3.  .454 Hornady Lead Ball
4.  Top dressed with Bore Butter

Can I and or should I go hotter (powder 40 plus or minus), or Conicals (Buffalo Bore)???

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

Ron
SCREAM A LITTLE and I'll see you at the lake, around the beach, on the mountain & in the woods on this side or the other... Ron

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Recommended Loads - Old Army .44 Cal.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 10:02:44 AM »
Hello,

In my 5 1/2 inch SS fixed sight model I use the following;
1- CCI #11 Magnum Cap
2- Pyrodex 30gr Pellet
3- Wonder Wad
4-Speer .457 Lead Ball
No need to use Bore Butter with a Wonder Wad, have had no problems with leading or fouling.  In my revolver these loads shoot 6" low at 25 yards.  However, with my R&D 45 Colt Conversion using 200 and 250gr Cowboy loads it shoots much closer to point of aim.  Have yet to try 45 Colt loads using 30 Pyrodex Pellets.

Offline Marlin_444

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 01:51:20 PM »
Great thanks... 

I have not had a "Chain Fire" so that was the only reason I used a "Belts & Suspenders" approach of using both the Wonder Wad and a Smear of Bore Butter...

Is your Old Army a .44 Cal or .45? 

Thanks!

Ron
SCREAM A LITTLE and I'll see you at the lake, around the beach, on the mountain & in the woods on this side or the other... Ron

Offline Flint

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 11:14:17 AM »
All ROAs are 45 caliber, the bore is .45 caliber and the chambers are sized to seat a .457 ball.  Although the Colt and Remington repros (and originals) convert to 45 Colt or Schofield, as their bores are 45, the chambers in the repro cap & ball guns are a bit smaller than the Ruger.  The difference beyond that is that Ruger calls the gun a 45, and the Colt and Remingtons were called 44s.

44 was the bore diameter before rifling.  45 caliber is the groove diameter after rifling.  A question of period opposed to current labeling.

As to loads,, it is a typical Ruger.  It will take more than the Colt or Remington repros, the chambers are deeper, it's not quite a Dragoon, but it will take 40 gr of powder without a wad, and you will know you pulled the trigger.  I shot 35 gr of 777 powder, and certainly made an impression, a load I would never try in a Colt or Remington repro.  35 gr of BP in a cartridge conversion is the equal to any 45 Blackhawk.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 02:56:59 AM »
Marlin_444 ,

I also have a Ruger Old Army, but I haven’t had much chance to work with the loads yet.  I have the 7 1/2" barrel blued adjustable sight version.  I am using 35 grains of real FFFG black powder with #10 caps and a wonder wad with excellent results.

I don’t know if you have a manual with yours, but here is the link to the online manual.  Page 11 talks about powder charge.

Taken from the manual:
The Ruger Old Army can take as much black powder as the chamber will hold, leaving room for the bullet.  This maximum loading is not usually the most accurate loading, however.

A good starting accuracy load, using a pure lead .457” diameter ball, is 20 grains of FFFg and sufficient filler (corn meal is frequently used as a filler material) to seat the ball approximately 1/16” below the chamber mouth. You may find that some minor adjustment of this charge upwards or downwards is more accurate in your “Old Army.”
Filler is not required and can be completely dispensed with if the powder charge takes up at least 1/2 of the cylinder.

www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/InstructionManuals/13.pdf

yooper77

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 05:38:19 AM »
I've been shooting a ROA since 1981.  It seems to work best with a round ball and as much 3f powder as you can get under the ball and still rotate the cylinder.  I have shot .456  220 grain bullets, and some .457 190 grain wad cutter type bullets.  I always lube the face of the chamber on top the bullets, with some stuff called Pistol Patch from the old Blue and Gray Company.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »
I also shoot a SS ROA and have used both conicals and round balls; with best results from round ball.  I've used 4f b/p with 30 gr and got excellent results with and 2" groups at 25yds.  Veral has a special mold for the ROA that's a flat nose conical that performs like the ball.  I haven't got it yet, but I have it on my CHRISTmas list.  Have tried Buffalo and have a Lee mold; both shoot looser groups than the ball.

Offline Marlin_444

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 05:42:52 PM »
Cool Y'all keep'em coming!

Ron

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 06:46:31 PM »
Rem #10's.
35g FFFG
Wonder Wad
.457 Round Ball
Bang!

...Chris   ;)
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline Marlin_444

• Contributor
Re: Recommended Loads - Old Army .45 Cal. (Correction)
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 07:52:57 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Ron

Offline osceola

Re: Recommended Loads - Old Army .45 Cal. (Correction)
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 12:03:27 PM »
Here is where I figure my ROA is topped out;  http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1171314549.38=/html/catalog/blackpow.html Scroll down near the bottom of the page in the blackpowder conical bullet section.  These are made for the ROA, their bottom ring is .453 so they easily press into the bullet seating position and load straight. 200gr bullet, 37gr of Hogdon 777 3f w/ a wonder wad will Crony at 980 fps with a standard deviation of 20 fps and make a 2 inch group at 25 yds---I hold shots to under 40 yds, the energy is there and they pass cleanly through.
Be Safe!