Author Topic: British Seige Guns...  (Read 582 times)

Offline MikeR C

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
British Seige Guns...
« on: December 28, 2007, 04:43:43 PM »
I found this link and meant to post it a while back. Reading the "New kid on the block" post reminded me of it.

http://www.palmerstonforts.org.uk/index.php

Click the "Artillery" tab then select "Artillery drawings".
Some of the drawings have links at the bottom of the drawing that show more details. I hope you enjoy them.
Thx
MikeR C

Offline lance

Re: British Seige Guns...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 04:56:04 PM »
 Excellent Link! four or five pages of great artillery pics too,and tons of info.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 04:57:01 PM »
Great photos!  I like to study fortifications almost as much as artillery.  Thanks for the link.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline MikeR C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 05:23:32 PM »
I would DEARLY love to see more drawings of the "64pr. 58cwt. R.M.L. (converted) on Wood, Garrison Carriage". I really like the elevating mech. I tracked down some of the British links and found where some others had asked about more drawings for this gun and nobody there knew of any.
If anyone has seen other drawings of this carriage I would sure appreciate hearing about them.

Thx
MikeR C

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »
Great pictures. The 100 ton gun at malta, fire coming out of both ends was really impressive. but I have to ask. Was this by design or old age. There were a few other pics that showed similar style guns with a hole at the rear. Was this a pressure limiting factor?. thanks for sharing. Frank

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 02:36:31 AM »
On the 100 ton gun you can see a lanyard leading to the breech area where the fire is coming from.  This could explain the fire coming from the breech.  Not sure what type of firing mechanism is being used.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 05:59:24 PM »
I saw the lanyard, but still cannot figure out what method of ignition they used. Friction primer?. Impressive pictures. After seeing some of these and other posts have come to the unshakable conclusion that the big ones are there for a reason. No one has the equipment to haul them off. kings point merchant academy in new york had a 5"38 deck gun as one of its memorials. Was there some years back attending some courses. Keep the pictures coming, may never see those guns in person, but its nice to see them online. Happy New Year all. Frank

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 06:00:06 PM »
I saw the lanyard, but still cannot figure out what method of ignition they used. Friction primer?. Impressive pictures. After seeing some of these and other posts have come to the unshakable conclusion that the big ones are there for a reason. No one has the equipment to haul them off. kings point merchant academy in new york had a 5"38 deck gun as one of its memorials. Was there some years back attending some courses. Keep the pictures coming, may never see those guns in person, but its nice to see them online. Happy New Year all. Frank