Author Topic: Federal "Power Shock" for .243  (Read 1127 times)

Offline GEREP

• Trade Count: (0)
Federal "Power Shock" for .243
« on: December 24, 2007, 10:43:14 AM »
Just curious of any of you Handi shooters have used the Federal Power Shocks (100 grain) in their .243's.  As some of you know, my 12 year old daughter will be getting her new Handi tomorrow for Christmas.  I was at Walmart this afternoon and noticed that the Power Shocks were extremely reasonable in price.  Perfect for a doing lot of practice.  I was going to pick up a few boxes but thought I would ask here first to see if anyone has tried them out of their Handi rifle and if they worked well.

Her new rifle is the adult model, 22" barrel and wood stock.

Thanks guys,

KPC

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Federal "Power Shock" for .243
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 11:10:53 AM »
Those and the 95gr Fusion are the gold standard for 243 accuracy!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
Yeap to add to Tims comment, my 243 22" standard contour barrel shot the Federal Power-Shocks excellent. My first factory choice if/when I pick up another.
 Have fun.

-Aaron

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 01:49:55 PM »
my wife has been shooting those in her new .243. while it is a savage and not a handi id say the ammo is top notch. my wifes gun puts them under 3/4 inch and a friend of mine likes them in his ultra .243.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 01:59:36 PM »
as I understand it the 100 grainers are about perfect for the .243 Handis....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 02:28:48 PM »
If you bought some be sure and put in for the rebate.  I believe rebate is good on purchases made until 12/31/07 and has to the mail early January.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/pdf/FP192_PowerShokCouponFNL.pdf
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline iceking02

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
Golly, GEREP, you sure waited a long time to get your daughter her first Handi... I just couldn't hold myself back after her 8th birthday...

Welcome to GBO, this place is a great wealth of knowledge...stick around and you'll experience this firsthand.

And, not to hijack your thread, but has anyone loaded the Barnes TSX, Nosler BT/Partitions or other "premium" bullets in their .243? I have a box of premium bonded-bullet .243s but I can't remember the type. I am hoping to use these more for hunting than sighting in or practice but wondered what most folks were shooting in their Handis.

Last night I loaded up some .243s with the 85g Nosler BT and RL-22 (42grains) and was wondering whether or not you folks had any other pet loads with the 85gr+ weight bullets. My first priority is accuracy, second is recoil, third is velocity. These loads are, again, for a little girl. I'm trying to get her interested in shooting PRIOR to her getting interested in boys...

Merry Christmas one and all!!!

IceKing02

Offline GEREP

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 07:00:57 PM »
Thanks a bunch guys...sure appreciate the help.

Yes, I was on the Federal website and noticed the rebate offer and I did print it off. 

Thanks again...

KPC

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 05:50:41 AM »
 KPC ,

I used those over the winchesters 100s' just becuase the federal 100s' were 1 inch low of the bullseye at 50 yards with the rifle sighted in @ 100 yards  and the winnies were about an inch and a half low at 50 yrds. (nephew needs all the advantages he can get from his uncles knowledge heh)
 He didnt use it on the hunt but let me take it to harvest a Ram (Mouflon) and well   ... Ram got hit and the Dirt got hit by the ram.. he never thought about getting up ,and if he did  it never happened .....Great little round my brother and his wife (same hunt just got back yesterday evening ) used the same Feds 100 grainers and took 3 wild pigs ranging in weight from 100 to 140 and all were clean kills only the 140 went anywhere after the shot , believe my brother said 25 yards or so .. In short Great round Great accuracy (went to the range this morning and shot the nephews 243 super light youth to make sure it had come home still zeroed ,10 ring kill at 100) And a Great price ...... I would say trust it , just be sure the recoil isnt to hard on her... moved my nephew around a bit more then i thought it would

Regards

P.S.  The winchester in my nephews 243 are shooting the same point of aim at 100 ...I only went with the feds due to a little flatter trajectory ..Happy shooting ,and let your lil one know we all said CONGRATS !!!!! on her new gun ;)
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline jamers

• Still Crazy But No Longer Breathless!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 08:55:48 PM »

I bought a bunch and my handi-243 puts them where ya point em time after time .My handi was built in 1997 and I really like it .
                           jamers
Let us reflect on what is truly of value in life,what gives meaning to our lives,and set our priorities on the basis of that.