Author Topic: 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Rifle (Double Dovetail Insert Making and Fitting)  (Read 6421 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Rifle (Double Dovetail Insert Making and Fitting)
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2008, 01:25:15 AM »
I wanted to complement and commend the gentlemen at Seacoast Artillery on both their work and dedication to researching the fine points of what they build, working in scale is a proposition that has led others to take shortcuts, which become obvious when something is out of proportion, you have the skill of a Swiss watch maker, I am glad the two of you did not go into that profession! It is obvious that this is  more than a business and more of an obsession/love affair in metal. I wish I had deep enough pockets to own one of these fine guns, I am certain those that can afford your work are well satisfied with their purchase.

Allen <><

Just an added P.S. my Wife wanted to know the name of your "foreman" overseeing your work.  :)

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2008, 05:10:57 AM »
     Welcome to the board, KABAR2 and thanks for your kind words about our rifled cannon.  That's Mike's cat, lil' dickens.  That entire photo can be found in the "Hook Cutter" section of the thread, "How to Make a Rifling Machine from A to Z" , page 3, middle, which Double D resurrected yesterday.  He was Mike's cat and he loved to lie or sit on that optical comparator computer box and watch us work.  Unfortunately he had an altercation with an automobile recently and lost.  He was a fine cat and really loved the  "Welder's Glove" game.  Only I could get him agitated enough to get him to leap 6 or 7 feet, hissing and growling, with fangs and claws fully extended to attack the hated "Glove Beast".  Someday I'll get an indoor cat for Mike and our shop, a Big 'ole Maine Coon who can be a "guard cat" And a "watch cat". 

When you get to building a cannon be sure to post a few pics.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2008, 11:22:48 AM »
Tracy & Mike,

Sorry for your lose, The thread you mentioned is where I cropped the image,He probably liked the heat of the processor he was sitting on. Our main' coon's name is Peaches, he's a real pussycat..... I describe him as a boneless cat, when you pick him up and pet him he just sort'a melts, hence boneless. Like you I have a background in gun smithing, class of '81 Trinidad State Jr College, Most of my past work has been in restoring antique rifles muskets and pistols, I was a Re-enactor of the American Revolution from about 1979 to 1988, and always had a great interest in military history. I have an Idea for what I am going to build, first though I will construct a working model with a section of 20MM barrel I happen to have, I will post photo's as soon as I can get use of the lathe and milling machine. I do contract work for a defense contractor & have full access to the machine shop facilities. I just have to make time to start it.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline rifleshooter2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
You guys are great. Can you adopt me ;D

Andy
Save Legionville

Offline phalanx

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2008, 01:33:35 PM »
Question : is that beauty bored and milled from a solid block? Boy if i lived on a coast line somewhere i would be the first to have one of those. The finish ,is it going to be blued ? its a shame to paint something that pretty. Maybe a real fine grain Park.
Sir that is one impressive tube. Allen look at this thing.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2008, 02:36:25 PM »
      KABAR2  I lived in upstate NY, except for 4 years in Vermont, until 1976.  I had Lapan's foundry near Glen's Falls, NY cast some balls for my 1797 SBR 4" mortar back then and I was in a Fife and Drum corps for 3 years, so I know a little bit about our "ignored, in the west, period of history", the Revolutionary War.  Building a working model of a larger piece is very smart!  Keep us apprised of your progress.

rifleshooter2,  actually you have a very interesting proposal there.  Mike and I need some extra cash flow around here, between occasional commissions, so if we take you up on the adoption, how many of those spectacular bronze grenade mortars can you turn out in a month?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

phalanx,  yes, the 7" Brooke Rifle is turned, gundrilled, reamed, rifled and milled all out of a single piece of 4150 steel at 30 Rc.  We have to include the tube, trunnions and the front sight mass from a single round of 4150 in the extensive turning and milling machine operations on the 100 Pdr. Parrott Rifle.  It takes a LONG time to machine around those trunnions and rimbases and then quite a while with special "sharp" cold chisels, files and stones.  We hot blue by an industrial process which gives a very deep black finish and is more resistant to scratches as well.  Even if you don't live near a seacoast, there still are "targets of opportunity".  Here in Colorado it's lots of fun to go icicle-busting.  We find them at this time of year near 9 or 10,000 feet hanging from cliffs.  They weigh from 50 to about 750 pounds and shatter with a spectacular spray of ice shards when they are hit.  Or you can bake your brains out on the prairie like we do every summer, because there is another 1,000 yard range around every corner.  We don't need no salt water!!  Tropico needs salt water, not us!

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline phalanx

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2008, 03:16:45 PM »
tube isn't the problem. Carriage is,if i had that tube i would have it on a steel,large,carriage with wheels and tires from a Peterbuilt.
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline phalanx

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2008, 03:52:57 PM »
Seacoast: Colorado?? i am your next door neighbor. N.M. A fine Cannon maker such as your self is only making Coastal Artillery?
I need to lay down.
I can fire my guns off my back porch ,you are right, i like you i have a lot of range opportunities.
This Brook could be adapted into a steel carriage ,with tires large enough to carry it right ?
Picture this,Chicken plate made of 1in triple s steel. Recoil slide and brakes. Split tail tang.
Any 3/4 ton truck could pull it.
Sorry ,i get to dreaming,you have one very nice tube. Some country's wish they had that.
And for you to take the time to mill and bore this,you have some very serious equipment,and love for your art.
Your lathes must be monsters. Oil field and Mining size.
And your love of what you are doing ? no where in the Mid West have i seen anyone capable of doing this task.
I have tried to get Machine shops who had the equipment to try simple projects,  i gave them the plans from the turn of the century ,only for them to tell me they have no one capable of doing this.
You are a credit to your State.
Constantine III