Author Topic: Saftey issue  (Read 465 times)

Offline j two dogs

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
Saftey issue
« on: December 25, 2007, 05:08:27 AM »
Ask this question on another thread. I am wanting to replace my cross bolt safety with a Ludwig kit. Would carrying my gun at half cock be safety enough? I am sure you marlin people would know this answer, thank.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Saftey issue
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 06:39:26 AM »
Yeah the half cock is all the safety you need.....I used to hunt with an older winchester 94 and all it had was halfcock and so was my old hawken muzzleloader....the safety was added on in the later years to keep the lawyers happy.....i do have a newer marlin and a winchester both with the safety....i normally carry them with the safety off but put the safety on in order to unload the rifle....i feel a little more comfortable unloading it with the safety on.....i have never had an accidental discharge with the older models but it does limit you from accidentally firing a round while unloading

Offline dla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 02:35:37 PM »
The cross-bolt safety was added to reduce the deaths associated with folks fumbling the hammer from half-cock.

Leverguns were cheap and easy to pack, so they were given to kids as their first rifle. Old-not-so-bright geezers told them to carry them chamber loaded and hammer at half-cock. Kids would fumble the hammer and BOOM!. So in reaction to the data, data presented in every hunter's safety class, the industry went to the crossbolt safety. It solved the problem of fumbling the hammer and it also made it safer to unload the levergun by cycling the action.

To each his own, but it never hurts to know the facts.

Offline Ron/Pa.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 02:59:47 PM »
I once owned a pre safety Button Winchester, bought it for my Wife to use. After the second , one by my Wife and one by my oldest Son, accidental discharge I sold it!! I have heard numerous stories of close calls with these guns. I now have a Marlin With the safety button and have no gualms at all with the Missus using it. I can`t understand why people complain about them?

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 01:31:34 AM »
It does make me feel more comfortable unloading it....I have been around firearms my entire life and i have had an accidental discharge one time while uncocking a single action revolver it will scare you pretty bad.....My cousin, when he was a boy shot a whole through the floorboard of his dads truck with an old hawken muzzleoader while uncocking it.....I'm not sure why it was cocked but it happens soemtimes