Author Topic: Any Ideas to help a bonehead out?  (Read 496 times)

Offline hunterwinco

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Any Ideas to help a bonehead out?
« on: December 26, 2007, 01:05:47 PM »
I've got a standard 22 hornet barrel that I got under the acc. program.  I got the brilliant idea that I should put threadlock on the little hole plugs that go in where the scope rail is mounted.  Then later I went to remove them to put the rail back on and of course I broke one off trying to remove it!  :-[  Does anyone have any ideas how to remove this?  Any tricks?  Can you buy "eze-outs" that small? --

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Any Ideas to help a bonehead out?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 01:16:21 PM »
You loctited the blind screws? ??? Loctite can be softened with heat, there are tips for removing scope rail screws in the FAQs that should help. If the blind screws are plastic which the are on some barrels, don't plan on them coming out normally!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hunterwinco

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 01:19:56 PM »
yes I did!  Leave it to an anal retentive engineer!  I was wondering about just mounting the rail with only two screws instead of three.  Tim, what would be the best way of heating that?

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 01:26:23 PM »
I use a pencil electric solder iron
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 01:44:34 PM »
The "Base screw removal help" link in the FAQs has lots of suggestions that should help, here's the link.

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,112979.msg1098352173.html#msg1098352173
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 09:21:43 PM »
Tim:  I always loctite my base screws.  And the screws on the scope rings.  Have never had one break when removing them.  But then again have only seen plastic ones once.  Threw them away and replaced them with steel ones.  Had a horse fall on one of my rifles once, breaking the bases off.  I drilled a hole in the center of the screws, Then drove a torx bit into the hole, heated the area around the hole and turned the screw out.  I then chased the threads with a tap just to be on the safe side.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.