Author Topic: Spring-loaded Fore-end Spacer  (Read 670 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Spring-loaded Fore-end Spacer
« on: December 27, 2007, 04:47:31 AM »
Found just the right spring to spring load the fore-end spacer on my My Green Hornet. It shoots very well with the fore-end off but not with the fore-end on. When installed it will put a constant pre-load on the action. This I am hoping will help with accuracy with the fore-end on. It's an idea that I have been toying with for some time now. I will also bed the fore-end by FredM's method. Love tinkering around with these Handi's. I may patent this idea if it works and sell the patent to NEF for millions-------------ha. Has anyone else tried this??? Did it help accuracy?

I think Tim thinks I'm nuts on this one so he hasn't commented. Oh well I won't share the patent with him!!!!!!!!!!!

Mc

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
Re: Spring-loaded Fore-end Spacer
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 10:50:24 AM »
It's worth a shot.
Keep us posted.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 12:11:01 PM »
Boy now would be the time to sell it to them as some think they will get a large influx of capital investment money from this new Holding company I don't by it though I think they will suck them dry. kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 01:53:49 PM »
MC
The way I see it you will just create another disconnected loose joint.
The steel bedded hinge piece would not be articulated with the uplift gernerated
by the forearm lug bolt.

This is one of my features for a connected unit. Unless the hinge
piece would slide on steel tubes with the springs and bolts inside the tube tighly
fitted.

But with another loose joint you are not reduceing the amplitude of the vibrations. Reducing the amplitude of vibrations is the whole idea of accuracy.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 11:35:49 AM »
OK Fred I have finished bedding the fore-end and I'll try it for accuracy as-is. I can't help but think though that with a good amount of pre-load on the spacer it would not be loose at all. My plan for pre-loading the spacer is grinding the spacer screw heads down so that they fit the spacer well and then drilling a 5/16 diameter hole into the fore-end for the compression spring. We'll see what happens.

Mc

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 11:48:44 AM »
Most just use shims (layers of paper work good for testing) to "preload" fore arm tension.
I had one so tight you had to force it open after releasing the barrel.
(did not keep it that way)

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 01:21:47 AM »
My learning experience went like this.

I have a 50 yard home range which made testing convenient for the handi hornet.  When I switched the pallet wood stock out for the laminate,  I lost accuracy.  Turns out the lock up was different as the forearms were slightly different lengths.  After I cut down the laminate forearm slightly,  the lock up was then to loose.

Through trial and error accuracy testing while shimming the fore end shoe with aluminum I found the sweet spot.

I then epoxy bedded the shoe & shims to the forearm like so.

This more than anything improved accuracy.

From there having both pressure points and free floating on my other fore arm.  I elected to dowel sand to the lug and O ring the fore arm for free float.  I had some very good groups with pressure points but P.O.I. shifts with humidity,heat,etc.  I hunt varmints from shooting sticks and predictable first shot POI is a must.  I now have that.

The above really made it a nice consistent shooter.  BTW-  I have absolutely zero horizontal/side to side barrel play at the end of the fore arm by hand.

After reloading I shoot 5 rounds at 50 yards for testing.  This is what it does on average.  Bags front and rear, 12x, un-modified trigger, no fouler shots.  Occasionally for kicks I have shot 10 shot groups and it will put 10 in the .5s at 50.  I have learned to do all my Hornet testing at 50 yards.  From there I paper punch 100 & 200 yards along with hunting of course.

I am sure there are many things that may work,  some more complicated than others.  Just showing what worked for me.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 03:02:23 AM »
HI Just Bill:

Your experience convinces me that the spring loading idea will work as it provides a nearly constant force regardless of barrel heating. Thanks for taking the time to post!!

Mc

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 08:17:55 AM »
McLeron,

Whew.................just back in from Fox/Coyote calling.  Hiked a ton which felt good but called in nothing to my eye.

Anyways............good.................glad it helped  :)  Wasn't (still am not) sure what your talking about, have in mind anyways.

Have fun......

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 11:57:20 AM »
It shoots very well with the fore-end off but not with the fore-end on.

OK, so if this is true, then why pre-load, or bed the barrel or any of that stuff.

What would happen if the action opened freely and the forend was fitted so it placed NO STRESS between the barrel and the action???  Only extreme changes in environment or the barrel heating up from lots of shooting would affect it...Right??

I don't have any Handi Rifles, so I haven't had to deal with these problems....I guess I might understand this better if I had one. :-[ Yep, looks like I am talking myself right into the doghouse with the CFO. ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"