Author Topic: Three old cannon photos from Fort Frederica  (Read 724 times)

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
Three old cannon photos from Fort Frederica
« on: December 30, 2007, 03:56:53 PM »
I remembered these old photos when I was posting about my experience with image hosting sites. They were some of the very few images that were not lost when PhotoPoint went down. Back then I bought into the 'online storage' pitch.

Since then I never put a photo on the web unless i have it stored locally. The supposed advantages of online storage are a farce. Storage media is cheap insurance.

These were taken in 1999 (I think) at Fort Frederica on Saint Simons Island, GA.

I don't really know, or at least don't remember, anything specific about the cannons in the photos.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Three old cannon photos from Fort Frederica
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 04:25:30 PM »
You are very correct about on line storage. I have about 3000 pictures stored on line right now.  All of them are backed up on floppies or CD's or on my hard drive.  Which reminds me I need to do a back up of that.

If my photo hosting sight failed the internet might collapse.

I have a chemical picture of that cannon in the middle with my wife hanging on the muzzle circa 1989.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 03:09:40 AM »
You are very correct about on line storage. I have about 3000 pictures stored on line right now.  All of them are backed up on floppies or CD's or on my hard drive.  Which reminds me I need to do a back up of that.

If my photo hosting sight failed the internet might collapse.

I have a chemical picture of that cannon in the middle with my wife hanging on the muzzle circa 1989.

Double D,

3000 photos!  :o if you add one more you may be the cause of an Internet crash! ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 04:59:40 AM »
That made me laugh. Then I checked my account at FotoTime and saw that I have 717 images there that have all, at one time or another, been posted on the web.

Me and my first wife moved to Brunswick in the early 80s and I had a bunch of photo prints of the area that were lost in the split and divorce (along with my, uh, I mean her home). After a few years of single life, I met Pam and we lived together in B-wick for another year before moving back here to my old hometown. We got married shortly thereafter.

The photos above were among my first digital pictures, taken with a (then new) 1-megapixel Epson camera. I gave that camera to my mother years ago and she still uses it, mainly because it is huge and easier for her to handle than today's cameras. It also uses CompactFlash media, which is easier for her to handle than SD cards.

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 05:57:30 AM »
This is  my www.fototime.com  account
Space Usage You are using 11% of your storage.
Pictures in account 2947 Average space for each picture 154.94 KB
Disk Space  4 GB Disk Space Used 445.91 MB
Disk Space Remaining 3.56 GB
Bandwidth Usage   
You are using 4% of your allocated bandwidth.
Monthly Bandwidth Used 874.51 MB Monthly Allocated Bandwidth
(5 times disk space) 20.00 GB.

All 2947 of these pictures are not posted on the internet. I say only somewhere around 70% are posted..  Some are posted to share with family and friends. Some for future reference.

I use to post pictures for others also.  I don't do that  much any more.  I prefer to  lodge the picture on my site.  Then I send the person the link and have them post their pictures themselves and tell us about them.  About 50 % of the people I do that for won't post the link themselves.

I have had this subscription since 2001 and it has always been $23.95.  I can't recall what the original size was but about every 2 years  my storage  capacity has been raised no charge up to the current  4 GB storage and 20Gb band width.

This sight is a little more complex to use than MyHostedPictures or the other free sights  I have greater multiple picture upload capacity both in the number of pictures and size of pictures with fototime.   MyHostedPictures is a little quicker to get into and up load a picture or two.  I use both. 

I just went through my pictures and tried to find the picture my wife and the Fredrica cannon...I did find these two picture taken the same weekend at nearby by Ft. McAllister, March 1989.

That's my wife in the pictures and other than she now wears galsses she hasn't changed a bit.  That's my story and I am sticking with it!

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 06:14:54 AM »
I generally add photos as needed for the purpose of posting them. So if it's on FotoTime now, at some time or other it was on the web. Once it's on the host, I may go back and re-post it (some of the photos there have been in numerous threads) or it may sit there never to be seen again.

I have the same 4GB limit, so I hardly ever remove anything. You never know when that forgotten photo may come in handy.

BTW: I can never get Pam to pose with cannons for me.

Most of my photos of her are from the backside...

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 03:47:53 PM »
     Nice photos, Terry C.  It looks like a very interesting place; it's now on our list.  The cannon in the third photo, with it's below-center trunnions, equator ring around the cascable, the rectangular vent field and the Royal Cipher just this side of the trunnions, looks like a probable British Navy gun to us.  With their presence is this area throughout the 1700s, it's not inconceivable.

DD, that wooden barbette carriage in your second photo was dismantled and lying on the grass near the entrance to the 8" shell magazine the last time we were there in December of 2005.  It was very educational to see exactly how all the rails and transoms fit together!  A unique opportunity.  It is interesting too, that not 20 feet from where your wife stood in 1989, was the spot where a 15" Dahlgren shell from the Monitor, Nahant penetrated 18 feet of the sand and marsh grass rampart during a Federal bombardment in 1863.  Also during one of the seven, extensive Federal Navy bombardments, not one man was lost, but the fort's mascot, a cat, perished.  The exhausted, grimly, gaunt-looking artillerymen had only one request of their commander which was, "Sir, would you kindly mention the loss of our cat in your official dispatch to headquarters?"  He did.

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline lance

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
    , but the fort's mascot, a cat, perished.  The exhausted, grimly, gaunt-looking artillerymen had only one request of their commander which was, "Sir, would you kindly mention the loss of our cat in your official dispatch to headquarters?"  He did.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            A Civil War ghost story-  on the fort's grounds, people say they see the ghost of beloved "Tom Cat".I've always wanted to get down that way and take some cannon pics, a ghost cat would be a bonus!!!
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Double D

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 08:09:40 PM »
It is interesting too, that not 20 feet from where your wife stood in 1989, was the spot where a 15" Dahlgren shell from the Monitor, Nahant penetrated 18 feet of the sand and marsh grass rampart during a Federal bombardment in 1863. Tracy and Mike

And, if I remember the story right by the next day, because the walls of the fort were sand the defenders filled the hole in and repaired the wall.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 09:31:21 PM »
     Right you are, DD!  Because historical photos of fort in December of 1864, when it fiinally fell, show the sides of the ramparts and the trapezoidal-shaped traverses were very steep, they were most likely faced with marsh grass mud bricks baked in place by the Georgia sun.  If you did not repair battle-damage areas  with fatigue parties of night-time workers, you literally faced loosing a large quantity of your sand fill which would leak from the shell's entry cone void in the rampart and weaken it considerably. 

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling