Author Topic: Flea Market Cannon tools  (Read 945 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Flea Market Cannon tools
« on: December 16, 2007, 07:04:29 AM »
Well, I indulged the wife this morning and took her to the street fairs and boot sales.  I saw this stuff sitting at one table and bought them

Now in my opinion, Cat Whisperer without a doubt is the King of the flea Market  browsers.  If there is a bargain out there CW will find it.

But I think I did pretty good this morning.

2- 8 inch spring calipers by Moore and Wright, Sheffeield, England

3- 6 inch spring calipers by SK

1- 6 inch caliper

2- 3 inch caliper

Folding caliper set

0-4" .001" Outside Micrometer by Mitutoyo

R310.  Am I good or what!!

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
Re: Flea Market Cannon tools
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 07:18:31 AM »
Ya did good!

Used Mitutoyo stuff is highly sought after. A 4" extension set with all standards is a find!

I've gotten some nice tools at flea markets and yard sales, but nothing lately.

(Editid cawz I caint reed gud. I originally read it as 3", a 4" set is even better!)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 07:26:18 AM »
    You did quite well, DD.  $45 for all those tools ain't bad.  We know a little about inspection tools, and the mic set alone is worth a lot more than that used.  It's nice that the calibration standards are included too.  Now you have no excuse for failing to measure any O.D. up to 4.000" accurately!

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline tnmike55

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 07:30:41 AM »

Way to go...I heartily agree with seacoast...the MiC set was a steal alone at that price

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 07:33:07 AM »
   You did quite well, DD.  $45 for all those tools ain't bad.  We know a little about inspection tools, and the mic set alone is worth a lot more than that used.  It's nice that the calibration standards are included too.  Now you have no excuse for failing to measure any O.D. up to 4.000" accurately!

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

But I like my 6 inch craftsman steel rule, I've had it for  25 years.

Well there is a down side,  I had give him what he was asking for the calipers and could only get him down to  R130 for mic set...he started it at  R200.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
What's the exchange rate?

I passed on a huge Starrett mike yesterday for $80; must have been at least 18".  In fact the frame was aluminum so it wouldn't be too heavy.  Digital (mechanical) readout to tenths but it was missing some of the anvils and there was a hitch in the spindle so I let it go.  0-4" is more usable anyway.  :-)

According to the Starrett catalog, the frame is tubular, so it may still be iron.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 08:43:16 AM »
Douglas - you did well!

I assume since they're not new you won't have to pay import duty on them.  Might even be able to ship them home at gov't expense as 'professional tools'.

We have - as we speak - a number of dial and digiatl calibers and mikes on our company auction which closes Monday.  I'll be airborne headed for Guadalajara at that time; but as a friend in quality said "don't bid on them, there's a reason we're getting rid of them."

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 09:32:03 AM »
Speaking of micrometers ... (hijack alert!)

I have a NSK set of three micrometers (1", 2" & 3") that I got in a sort of 'involutary' trade. I had some tools go missing on a previous job and I was given this set as compensation to keep my mouth shut. The perpetrator was a relative of the boss, and he knew that I wanted these.

The stuff that was stolen wasn't worth much (some small sockets and wrenches he 'borrowed' without permission) but they were mine and I depended on them being there when I needed them. Plus, I disliked this bozo so I made enough of a stink that he left soon after and never came back.

The deal maker was that this same putz would leave these outside for days at a time and the wooden box had gotten wet several times (it's a miracle they weren't stolen). When the boss saw the condition that it was in, he handed them over to me without even looking inside. He probably thought they were ruined.

The saving grace was that the inside of the box was lined with molded styrofoam, top and bottom. The two halves completely enclosed the contents, like a box within a box. Cheap, but very effective. The wooden box got saturated but the contents didn't.

I replaced the stuff that went missing for much less than the micrometer set was worth. I cleaned up the box but it wasn't very sturdy after that. My MAC tools dealer gave me a zip up cover he had. I'm not sure what it held originally but it was the perfect size to hold the boxed micrometer set. That protects the shaky, peeling box just fine.

EDIT: I got the camera working again. Here is the mic set:

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 10:21:32 PM »
 With all the outsourcing of manufacturing going on, along with old-timers retiring and few young guys taking their place (or buying old-timers tools, like I used to do), there are a lot of opportunities to buy good quality older machinist tools cheap now.

I've seen good condition Starrett, Brown & Sharp and Mitutoyo micrometers like I bought used 25 years ago sell on Ebay recently for less than I paid for them back in the 80's.

Along with the above, new measuring tools made in China, etc. are very inexpensive. I'm amazed that Enco and Harbor Freight can sell new 1" travel indicators for $10. I supervise about 60 machine operators and most use at least some Asian made measuring tools. They have to pass metrology inspection/calibration every six months, so they mostly work okay.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline tnmike55

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 03:39:10 AM »
Speaking of chinese measuring tools....these are great!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47257

Youve got to be selective at Harbor Freight...some of their stuff is junk. These calipers are well worth sixteen dollars. They are not coolant resistant so if you dont dunk em they will do the job. I have had a pair for several years and they have performed as well as my Fowler made ones.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 11:30:33 AM »
I've got one of those calipers and it works fine for me. The batteries that came with them sucked.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline tnmike55

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 03:58:08 AM »

Ditto the battery comment.  Get an Everyready replacement and your good to go.

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 08:09:53 AM »
Picked up another Mitutoyo outside mic this weekend. This one is 3"-4" .001, missing standard which I guess is common for used tools. Checked it with the standard from the other set I got and it right on. It's a bit dirty, but not bad.

Again way cheap.  I couldn't figure out why it was so cheap.  My friend explained it to me.  This is inch, or as they say here, imperial.  South Afrcia is metric.

I think I'll start looking ofr this stuff a bit closer.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 08:32:15 AM »
  This is inch, or as they say here, imperial.  South Afrcia is metric.

And here I call it non-standard inch, since the REST of the WORLD is on the metric system.

But some things will NEVER change - just try translating into metric the saying: "inch by inch life's a cinch!"

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)