Author Topic: Knight Wolverine - conicals ??  (Read 1839 times)

Offline punisher

• Trade Count: (0)
Knight Wolverine - conicals ??
« on: August 27, 2007, 05:35:05 AM »
I have a Knight Wolverine, bought it new maybe 8-10 years ago, it is in great shape
as I have used it very little, but am looking to prep it for deer season here in Michigan.
Can I shoot conicals out of this accurately, that is, was this gun designed for use with
sabots as opposed to conicals?
My shot's will be 100 yards (MAX) so I prefer I nice heavy piece of lead.
Thanks for any feedback!

Offline Wolfhound

• Contributor
Re: Knight Wolverine - conicals ??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 06:00:16 AM »
Although they were designed with sabots in mind they do real well with conicals too.

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 07:55:10 AM »
I've always been under the impression that all Knight barrels are equal with regard to bore dimensions.  I have a SS T-bolt and have always used heavy conicals (White Power punch 400 grain & No excuse 460 grain).  Both of these are .503" diameter and load quite easy in Knight .500" - .502" bore.  I suggest using a bore button between powder & conical to reduce lead fouling.  As a precaution you need to assure your load does not slip off the charge, especially,  If your barrel is extra clean & slippery.  (I rely on a few dry fires with musket caps but still check with ramrod from time to time)  I did have one time the load slipped but that was with a squeaky clean barrel.  White does recommend a different 400 grain conical for non White rifles likely for this reason.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 04:02:52 PM »
Conicals work well in Knights. They are just as accurate as a sabot in some cases,
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline nimrodder

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 06:11:51 PM »
I shoot 70gr Swiss 3f, wool unlubed wad and a 460 No Excuse in my Wolverine. Very accurate.
White S91 .504, .451
2 White Lightnings .504's
White M2000 Blacktail Hunter .504

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:16:14 PM »
 I have shot some home cast conicals in my Knight. They were from a 320 gr Lee R-E-A-L mold. They shot good & did a great job on the one deer I used them on. The one thing I did find was that after going down the bore there was not a lot of friction left to hold them in, tight over the powder. I never had a problem but I was careful & would check occasionally to see that the stayed put. There is a warning to this in the Knight manual but be sure the conical stays tight to the powder charge. This year I used a cast 44 bullet in a plastic sabot. It worked fine on a large doe.
NRA, Veteran

Offline nimrodder

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 01:30:15 AM »
Fire a squib charge or wrap your bullet with white teflon tape, that will keep conicals from sliding off the powder. The tape works great if you like to hunt with a clean barrel and does not affect accuracy.
White S91 .504, .451
2 White Lightnings .504's
White M2000 Blacktail Hunter .504

Offline indydave

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 12:20:36 PM »
ok i have had a wolverine  for years     7 different knights   here is THE conical to shoot 50 cal   NOEXCUSES bullets 495GRAIN CONICAL   HE MAKES A 460GRAIN  in 54 cal he makes a 535grain and if you have a 58 cal he makes a 560 grain     they shoot the best with 2f blackpowder  or triple seven   65-80 grain charge   ALL of mine shoot 70 grains 777
 most will shoot 1 1/2 5 shot groups at 100 yrds  my old 50 cal wolverine will do 5 shots in an INCH   recoil with these loads are mild! :o these bullets come prelubed with a hard high pressue lube no mess! swab the bore between shots with a light saliva patch for best accuracy  but i have loaded with 777 up to 3 shots before swabbing    NOEXCUSES  has fair pricing too   22.00 for 50 or 100 with shipping for about 55 bucks    these are great heavy cover bullets    great knockdown and penetration     i would use 'em on anything in north america ;D
No i don't make 'em   but i damn sure shoot them!!!!!!!! :)