Author Topic: Ruger #3  (Read 2292 times)

Offline bull

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Ruger #3
« on: October 07, 2007, 09:15:53 AM »
Just got home from a gun show with a Ruger #3 in .375Win. I had been looking for a .45-70 #1, but couldn't pass this up. It has wood from a #1, pistol grip stock, and the wider, longer forearm. Feels good, except for that silly lever. That could hurt someone. I remember seeing/reading of some modifications done to these rifles to make them a little more comfortable. I think it was Fred M who showed some pictures of his mods. I hope he can respond with some info or hints. But I'm open to any other ideas too.

bull

Offline John Traveler

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ruger #3
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 11:42:49 AM »
Congratulations on your fine "new" rifle!  I have the Number 3 in .375 Winchester as well, but with original butt stock and forearm.  The only negative I can think of is that they are equipped with the 22" carbine barrel, but in this caliber that is a good compromise, I guess.

That Winchester High Wall style finger lever bothered me at first too, but I got used to it.  The original owner had trouble with it rapping his knuckles, so he slipped a piece of surgical rubber tubing over it.  I removed the ugly tubing, but after one range firing session and bruised knuckles, I re-installed it.

If I may ask, how much was your Number 3?  I paid $225 for mine four years ago.

John Traveler

Offline HEAD0001

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 06:13:24 PM »
There was a #3-45/70-- listed on the Varmint Hunter's forum.  I think the guy was asking $350 for it.  Tom.
Tom Chase  Passed away at his home on Wed Nov 23

RIP Tom.

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 01:18:34 AM »
I just picked up a #3 in 45-70 last week, for $475.  Looking at what many are going for on the various sites, this and anything lower seems to be a decent price.
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline bull

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 03:26:52 AM »
John, I'm in southwest Michigan, and I paid 500 for the #3. Not a great deal, but reasonable for around here. I did find a used #1 in 45-70 for $650. But I think the 375 will keep me occupied for a while. I already have a Marlin 375, but with the "Micro-Groove" rifling, they get finicky with cast bullets. So this will give me a new way to play with the 375.  Besides, they are still making the #1 in 45-70, not so with the 375, or the #3. And I did have a wild idea that I could look at re-chambering to 375 JDJ in the future.

Yeah, I could get used to the lever shape, but it would be a little more comfortable with it shaped a little different. I was thinking of just bending it a little to get my fingers in behind it, bu I saw a picture of Fred's and like the look of it. I just need to find out how far he went. I may try to get a spare if I screw up the original.

bull

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 12:21:20 PM »
Bull
Remove the leaver and cut it at the first bend. Heat the lever and bent it down
and forward to conform to the trigger,

Weld the cut off piece as shown, finish and blue.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline bull

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 01:59:49 PM »
Thanks Fred, that is the kind of info I am looking for. I wasn't sure if you had it welded and such, but that was my guess. I may wait till after deer season though. Have you done anything as far as a pressure point on the barrel? I still haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. It's been too darn hot. Hopefully by this weekend it'll cool off enough. I have been researching all the tricks and such for #1s that I can find.

Thanks for the help.

bull

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 03:56:36 PM »
Bull:
Ya gotta love them No. 3's.  I found one in 45-70 some years ago and have taken deer & hogs with it using cast and jacketed hand loads.  (You can easily load these light carbines hot enough to really hurt your shoulder!)  The lever doesn't bother me on recoil 'cuz with my big hands I grip it outside the lever.  Earlier this year I came across another one, in 375 Win:

This one has a 26" Douglas barrel (The factory 22" tube came with the deal as well).  The previous owner had modified the foreend nicely, but had added on a "custom" walnut pistol grip, which I removed.  With 235 Speer SPs it groups a little over an inch on the range.  These loads seem a little light and I'm still working on them.  This will be my primary rifle when general deer season opens in November.
Hope you find one in 45-70
 ;)
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline thornblom

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 07:08:18 AM »
Howdy ya'll,

Afew weeks ago I bought a slightly used Ruger #3 in .375 Winchester.  Sent it off to JD Jones and had it re-chambered for the .375 JDJ.  It had weaver mounts on it, so I bought Warne medium height permanant type rings and mounted a Luepold 1.5x5X scope on it.

Now starts load developement.  I need some suggestions on powder types.  I want to use the 225 grain Hornady spire point.  I got RCBS dies from JD and have formed my cases and primed them with Federal 210 match primers.  I guess there are several powders that will work:  AA-2520, N-140, Rl-15, Varget, H-4895, IMR-4895 and WW-748 and IMR-4064.  In the past loading other calibers I have had good luck both accuracy wise and velocity wise using WW-748 and IMR-4064.  Loading data for the .375 JDJ seems to be scarce other than what JD provides.

Have any of ya'll had the Ruger #3 re-chambered to .375 JDJ?  And, if so, how does it shoot for you?

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

Offline HBW

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 07:34:57 AM »
It's good to come across a few other Model #3 fans here.  I have one in .375 Win and a second in 30-40 Krag.  Both have proved to be fine working rifles.  I love them both but kind of favor the 30-40.

Offline coargonaut

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 04:07:37 PM »
New guy here, and a #3 fan.
I picked up mine many years ago. Chamber in 22 hornet. Had a bent barrel, so only paid $125 for it.
A couple of years ago, I sent it over to Z-Hat, and had it re-barreled for 250-3000 AI. Stripped the finish, and had it all Parkerized. Kept the same wood for now. Man, does it ever shoot! Took first blood last fall with a mulie.
I will snap a photo and share.

Ed

Offline 45LCshoooter

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 04:47:32 PM »
My #3 is also a 45/70 and I grip outside the lever too: didn't realize anyone did it any other way. I did cut the butt of the stock flat and added a pad. I've put a peep on it recently but haven't gotten a chance to do anything with it. I've loaded it far beyond what the weight of the rifle calls for (all safe, pressure-wise)...kinda a "test of manhood" game when the family gets together.
All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien