Author Topic: Ultragon?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Ultragon?
« on: February 09, 2008, 12:55:52 PM »
What is this new parabolic rifling I am hearing about as in ULTRAGON??? I just bought a H&R Ultra Slugger in 12 ga..the Talo special with the Thumbhole stock....Has the rifling been changed since I bought? I got it in about august of last year... Did I buy one to soon?  Thanks All Drop

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Ultragon?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 12:56:54 PM »
Go to the H&R Shotgun forum, there are some discussions on it.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 03:17:58 PM »
I couldnt get an answer pinned down over there either....

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 06:53:05 AM »
Short and simple, if you bought it in Aug of 2007, you have the old rifling, which certainly is not a bad thing by any means. The Ultragon™ rifling is a 2008 change, and who knows if it will be better than the old rifling. I will tell you this, the new rifling is probably not going to make them any more accurate, but you can bet it will be less expensive for them to manufacture. The bottom line seems to be all that matters anymore. I plan on getting one of the new Ultra Light Slug Hunters with the Ultragon™ rifling when they come available, and maybe a USH if that barrel proves accurate. I just can't see them being any more accurate than my 2003 USH LE 20ga is.

My Hope is that the new Ultragon™ rifling will allow me to shoot full bore slugs at lower velocity without the lead shaving that happens in the sharp rifling. If this works as planned, I also see a new Tracker II barrel in my immediate future.

Don't be too quick to get rid of your Talo for the new rifling, the Ultragon™ rifling is yet to be proven in the field by the real product testers. For saboted bullets, I don't see how the Ultragon™ rifling can be more accurate than the previous rifling. Time will tell.

This is the new Ultra Light Slug Hunter and a quote from the link about Ultragon™ rifling. This will be much easier for cleaning, especially for those using lead slugs.

Ultragon™ Rifling:H&R’s Ultragon™ rifling has six oval lands and grooves without sharp corners like traditional rifling.  The unique geometry, similar to parabolic rifling, imparts bullet spin without leaving sharp impressions on the sabot jacket or Foster type lead slug.  This provides a perfect seal with virtually no loss of pressure and less projectile distortion inside the barrel, resulting in greater accuracy and easier cleaning.

http://www.shootingsportsretailer.com/content/view/284/4/
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member