Author Topic: The "Six Flags" Spanish/Confederate siege mortars  (Read 724 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The "Six Flags" Spanish/Confederate siege mortars
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 04:30:44 PM »
 cannonmn, very interesting research project, have you looked in the "O.R." for any mention of them?
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 10:27:51 PM »
have you looked in the "O.R." for any mention of them?

Thanks L.  That's on my "things to do list."  Since the OR's are online now, and completely searchable, it won't be too hard to do.  I actually kinda hoped one of the NSSA folks would do it for me after I posted over there, you never know.  I'm pretty sure I've checked the OR's before regarding any mention of captured Spanish weapons, and found none, but there could be an administrative report of the ordnance at Ft. Clinch that the Confederate CO filed with his bosses.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:34:24 PM »
BTW if you haven't been to the "MOA" site, checkit out here:  http://moa.cit.cornell.edu/

The OR's are found within the "Making of America" button on lower left, as I recall.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 10:38:46 PM »
O.R.?

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:11:37 PM »
"O.R" in this context refers to the "Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies and Navies in the War of the Rebellion"

Years after the Civil War, a special office was set up to compile all the documents from that War into a publication, and a few decades later, it was done.  The result was well over 100 volumes in two sets, a smaller set for both Navies and a larger set for both Armies.

The over-1000-page index starts here, then there are another 150-odd pages of corrections and additions.  We all used to have to go to a large library that had the complete set (more bulk than many sets of Brittanica) but now it is all online.  I guess the way you have to search it is using this "comprehensive index" one page at a time, but at least you can do it from home now.

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?root=%2Fmoa%2Fwaro%2Fwaro0130%2F&tif=00244.TIF&cite=http%3A%2F%2Fcdl.library.cornell.edu%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmoa%2Fsgml%2Fmoa-idx%3Fnotisid%3DANU4519-0130&coll=moa&frames=1&view=50

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 02:18:37 AM »
Totally off topic here, and having nothing to Spanish mortars....but would this reference be a place to look for the roster of units from each state?

Offline lance

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 03:48:52 PM »
 cannonmn, i'm serious when it comes to history, and enjoy your research projects. I used to have to go to Virginia Tech to see the "O.R.", sure glad i found it on eHISTORY.com............ ya never know, there might be some ordnance request report, or orders on what to do with them old mortars. i'll pitch in and help look for any info. Sometime i'll have to tell you about the three batteries of buried cannons in Virginia at the last days of the war. I don't think that record is in the "O.R." but know where you can see it.

Offline lance

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 03:59:53 PM »
Totally off topic here, and having nothing to Spanish mortars....but would this reference be a place to look for the roster of units from each state?

Douglas, google: civil war soldiers and sailors system, it's run by the NPS and i use it alot. other interesting sites are eHISTORY official records, and Broadfoot Publishing Company rosters. you should have great luck with the soldiers and sailors system, plus it's free to use, as is eHistory. not to get too far off topic, i'd like to know if the Confederates used them big beautiful Spanish Mortars.