Author Topic: Barrel Fitting Question  (Read 343 times)

Offline kfarm

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Barrel Fitting Question
« on: February 27, 2008, 03:15:08 AM »
I think I have the right idea about what I have to do to fit a barrel to another frame.  I sent in my target model for two new barrels, got a 357 mag and a BC 45-70.  I have already rented a reamer from Frank at 4D, and now have a 357 max. Boy what a thumper.  Now to my question.  I have a Handi in 308 that I do not use and would like to fit the 357 max to this frame and leave the 45-70 soon to be 45-120 on the BC frame.  When I put the 357 barrel on the 308 frame, it will not lock up and there is no clearance at the bottom of the barrel and around .006 at the top.  It is my understanding that since it is not closing all the way flush and that there is space at the top, I need to deepen the notch on the barrel lug until it does.  Just asking before I make a $80 tent peg.  However; when I tried the 308 barrel on the BC it does appear to fit frame tight and lock up.

I know many of you have much more experience than I thanks for the input Carroll.
Carroll

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Barrel Fitting Question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 03:18:54 AM »
Read the barrel fitting info in the FAQs, it tells ya what to do in the correct order, you don't want to mess with the pivot until the chamber face/headspace is taken care of, that may be all it needs.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kfarm

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Barrel Fitting Question
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 03:21:25 AM »
Thanks for the quick response Quick.
I'll re-read the FAQ, got it printed out and by my bed.
Carroll