Author Topic: New H&A smooth bore .54  (Read 669 times)

Offline blackpowderbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
New H&A smooth bore .54
« on: June 24, 2008, 03:26:30 PM »
I just finished a new toy. I put a Getz .54 smooth bored tube on a H&A underhammer action and built a new stock for it. It is going to be my all purpose gun, rabbit, squirrel, possum and the occassional garden raiding deer (durring season of course)
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: New H&A smooth bore .54
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »
Hey BPBill, what sight is that on that there gun?

Nice job on the stock.  I really like the H&A underhammer.  About as simple and functional as you can get.
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 07:56:46 PM »
The rear sight is an apature dovetailed into the reciever. The front sight is a standard blade dovetailed into rthe barrel.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 05:45:44 AM »
where did you get the parts, didnt think they made them anymore?  Mike

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 08:08:03 AM »
I think Numrichs has some. I had the parts laying around for the last twenty some years. I meant to build a utility gun out of them but only now got around to it. I took it out to the range last weekend. It grouped about 12 inches at 50 yards. Best load combo was a 70gr 3f, a 28ga wad, and patched .490 ball. I tried a patched .530 ball but there is to little room to patch that ball in a smooth barrel. I did have luck with some paper carts I made up. 75gr3f and oxyoke wonderwad and a .53 ball still wrapped in the paper like a thin patch. It fouled very rapidly however. Perhaps as a hunting load it would suffice. Next I will try it with shot, that is how it will render most of its service anyway.

Offline Tennessee.Traveler

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 12:38:07 AM »
Bill,
I finished a .50 cal. H&A kit from Deercreek last week.  It is browned and metal looks good.  Stock is utility grade maple and plain Jane!  I have trouble getting BP supplies here in Knoxville so I haven't really shot it yet!  I had a couple of power belted .50's that I use in my Knight that I fired just to make sure I had the hammer, trigger & spring in correctly.  My 3 shots grouped 2" at 50 yds.

I haven't tried round balls yet, I can't find nipples at Wally-world yet - maybe in September.  Parker & Son has black powder and caps so I guess I'll make a trip out Ashville Highway!

Actually, I'm killing time, waiting for my .45 cal. 1 in 18 twist barrel to come in from Long Hammock barrel.   I'm going to put a Lee Shaver Soule tang sight on it and use paper patched  500 gr. bullets.  I'm expecting small groups at long range!

:) :D ;D

Tennessee_Traveler