Author Topic: Win. model 42 .410 cal. shotgun  (Read 1403 times)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Win. model 42 .410 cal. shotgun
« on: December 20, 2007, 05:39:08 AM »
Can anyone give me some input on a model 42. Winchester .410 I just inherited . All she needs is a good cleaning its
 in excellent shape. what would be a recommended ammo? Are parts available if need it?

Thanks,
Ed

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Win. model 42 .410 cal. shotgun
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 11:25:39 AM »
I have a Browning/Miroku copy, but mechanically they're the same as your gen-u-ine.

I use any 2 1/2" commercial load, without qualm, or probs - in all my .410's ( I have several different brands/models), including those with 3" chambers.

Numrich lists parts, but I doubt you're gonna need any.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=0950z42&MC=
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
Hey Ranger,

I just a received copy of the instruction for operation and care manual Winchester Model #42 From company call rediscovered shooting treasures. I'm also waiting for the gunsmiths instruction for this model. With your help directing to e-gunparts.com  I should be on the right path to get this one back in action. Will post some pictures once she done...

Thanks,
Ed

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 05:24:26 PM »
Finally got around to getting photos for your viewing.. enjoy!

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 04:50:59 PM »
My father passed away last December and left a like-new Model 42 .410 shotgun as he just never used it much. My oldest brother got this one in our selection process. Because it was our father's, the $$ value is meaningless but it might be otherwise for others. Go to your next local gun show and see what the asking price is. I saw one two weeks that they were asking $1995.00 for.

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 05:05:10 PM »
BigJeepman,

I've also look around on the net and found the value on this model #42.  I have no plans on getting rid of her, I will have her re blued and the wood is in excellent shape, so it will be used sparingly and kept safe in my gun box.

Ed

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 10:52:18 PM »
The very first shot I fired from a shotgun was out of a Model 42.  The first three to be exact.  As a kid my dad to my brother and me to a trapshooting clinic for kids.  We had three shots from a practice trap then got to shoot a round of 25.  My brother used my dad's Model 12 (12 gage), and I was handed the Model 42 for the practice shots.  My first shot I called for the bird, closed my eyes and hit it right in the middle.  I missed the next two birds, and shot the round of 25 with an Ithica Featherlite 20 gage and missed most of them as well.

Thanks for the memories.  Somehow most of my early gun memories involve Winchesters.  Go figure.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 02:22:14 AM »
My first and most memorable experience with shotguns was with my father's Model 42 also. I do not recall how old I was but I think it was around 6 or 7. I remember how anxious I was because I was always 3rd in line behind 2 older brothers. We were shooting cans off of fence posts. My father used his .410 shooting clay targets. I do not remember him missing too many times. He never owned a 12 gauge in his life. He also owned a Fox 20 gauge sxs that I chose with my first pick. They were the only shotguns he ever owned.

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less