Author Topic: What game animals have you taken with Lightfield EXP hybred slugs?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
I am new to slug guns, and big bore in general.   I have an NEF Tracker II that likes the Lightfield Hybred EXP 2 3/4 in 1.25 oz slugs.  I am looking forward to hog hunting with them.  However, I would like to know if anyone has used them on any big game other than hogs and deer.   I am specifically interested in responses abouth other big game such as black bear, caribou, elk, etc.  Please advise of your experiences and your opinion of the slug's performance.  Thank you in advance for all replies.

ST762 
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline deerslayer79

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: What game animals have you taken with Lightfield EXP hybred slugs?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 10:29:31 AM »
I have taken 6 whitetails,all have dropped within 20yds,and a fox+a whistlepig.Awesome ammo IMHO.
beer,check ammo,check gun,DAMMIT,I knew I forgot somethin!!

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 02:17:38 PM »
Ya think the lead slug is hard enough for something like caribou, elk, black bear, etc?  I would like something for the heavy game that makes a very large hole to let air in and blood out.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 10:05:12 AM »
i would think i could take my 12 gauge slug gun with 1-1.25oz slugs and tackle anything in north America within its range limitations. i may be wrong but i wouldnt hesitate. after what i have saw slugs do to deer.

Offline deerhunter10

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 08:43:05 PM »
Used them for the first time this year, 2 deer dropped where they stood! Ranges 35-60 yards, have shot deer before at these ranges with a shotgun, but never have I seen them drop before like that. Very impressed, so much so considering them in my 20 ga.  I know this topic is a bit old, but just came across it when I got back from my hunt, thought I'd throw my 2 cents out there because I know everyone is always looking for current info on topics like this, myself included. So if anyone has shot the 20 ga in the field wouldn't mind the feed back on how they performed. I'm sold on the 12.

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 05:12:35 AM »
Lost track of how many deer, but add 1 bobcat & one coyote.  Mike

Offline usmc2111

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 06:27:50 AM »
I know quite a few people here in Eastern NC that have killed bears with a slug gun. Biggest was about 350lbs.

Offline mparks

• Mick's outdoor page
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 05:55:18 AM »
1 very large doe at 20 yards from tree stand.  Double lung.  Ran 50 yards.  Full caliber hole punched right through her with a very heavy blood trail.

1 1.5 year old buck at 80 yards from tree stand.  Heart and shoulder.  Ran 30 yards.  Full caliber hole through the heart and off-side shoulder.

I like 'em!  Most accurate slug from my A-Bolt that I've tried.  Around an 1" for 5 shots at 50 yards.

Offline Birddog1

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 07:46:49 AM »
I just started using them this year.  Took 1 doe.  Exit hole was about the size of a fifty cent piece.  Great accuracy too.

Offline Sod Farmer

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 10:28:42 AM »
Swamp Thing -
The people at Lightfield recomended to me that for bear and other game larger than deer, to use their Lightfield Commander slugs.  The Commander slug is not designed to open quite as fast and is loaded to higher velocities.  You will break bones and get an exit wound.  The Lightfield Hybred is designed to expand quickly and not exit.
I'd rather go hunting with Chenney than go for a ride with Kennedy

Offline nkhunter

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 01:39:25 AM »
I have taken too many deer to count, a couple coyotes, I had a big thing for showing off and shooting groundhogs with my savage 210F there one summer, and after seeing what a slug will do to a escaped steer, I'd probably take my savage and partitian golds against any animal on earth.