Author Topic: TrackerI missfireing  (Read 611 times)

Offline bighemidaddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
TrackerI missfireing
« on: April 02, 2008, 05:34:21 PM »
Went to the range today to sight in 12gage trackerI I picked up last week. took 5 boxes of slugs all 2.75
1oz. remington,winchester and brenneke KO. First shoot nothing primer was dented, next 2 no problem, 4,5,6 nothing primers were dented,all were remington. next 10 were winchester no problem, next was brenneke,
first one nothing primer was dented. Next one brenneke no problem ,next brenneke was the one that missfired
no problem. looked at all primers,dent the same.any ideas.

thanks
bighemidaddy

Offline ThomasB

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: TrackerI missfireing
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »
You want to make sure that you are pulling the trigger all the way back so that the transfer bar is fully engaged.
From what I've read on the different H&R groups - that can cause problems with misfires due to transfer bar not coming all
the way up to engagement.
Tom
Thomas B.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 11:42:10 PM »
Don't know if it could cause a misfire, but have you checked the head spacing.  If you close the action, without a shell loaded, on a .002 feeler gauge, you should NOT be able to pull it out.  Some guys use a business card, that's about .002.  Also, a visual check, just close the action and hold it up to the light to see if you can see any light between the breech face and the end of the barrel.  It is possible for it to latch properly and still have improper head space.  Just my $.02.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 02:51:38 AM »
Could also be a build up of crud in the action. give it a good flush and see if that fixes it
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 12:56:22 PM »
Thanks, Markus.  That's the first thing I should have thought of. :o
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline bighemidaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 04:18:42 PM »
I checked the lockup its OK going to take it apart and clean it out for the 2nd time
I"ll let you know if it works.

thanks
bighemidaddy

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 02:43:44 PM »
I use brake parts cleaner for that.  Spray it in every nook and cranny, lots of it down the stock bolt hole, firing pin hole, around the trigger, latch release button, latch release in the receiver and the barrel lug.  Then I let it drain out for 15min. or so and blow it all down with compressed air, until I get nothing running from any where.  The a few short burst of Tri-Flo, let it set a while and more compressed air.  That's the way I do it and have never had a problem. 
Used gun oil on the barrel lug and ejector once.  When it was cold out, it wouldn't flip the hulls, so I sprayed it with some WD and cleaned it out and then it worked fine.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline bighemidaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »
Cookieman
I"ll try that, I might try swapping it to a H&R receiver.

thanks

bighemidaddy

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 12:47:19 PM »
   Sounds like a problem I once had with Uzi's. Soft primer strikes were a curse. Was usually always a spring issue. Does the resistance on the hammer feel weak? I had that happen with a pre-transfer bar 20 gauge one time. It was a $12 dollar fix at the gunsmith.