Author Topic: 9MM Largo to 38 Super Conversion  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Booyah

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
9MM Largo to 38 Super Conversion
« on: January 04, 2008, 04:54:17 AM »
I have heard that a 9MM Largo cartridge is the same cartridge as the 38 Super except that the groove on the case of the Largo for the extractor is deeper.  And by modifying the extractor, a handgun that shoots the Largo can be changed to shoot the 38 Super.  Does anyone know of this ?

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 9MM Largo to 38 Super Conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »
Contact a knowledgeable smith---I believe there are some more things to do.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 02:36:56 AM »
Do not use 38 Super ammunition in a firearm chambered for the 9mm Largo.

If the firearm you are shooting is designated for the 9mm/38 (which is the 38 Auto, not the Super Auto) as some of the Spanish designations read, then using either (9mm Largo or 38 Auto) in your chamber without modifying the extractor can be done.  If the firearm is designated 9mm Largo, Steyer, Bayard, Bergmann, Bergman-Bayard or 9x23mm then the extractor must be modified to take the 38 Super case.

I don't think it is just the extractor groove.  The 38 Auto and Super Auto are semi-auto versions of the 38 Special and are semi-rimmed cartridges that wear a small rim (which was the cause for a lot of the inaccuracy of 38 Supers).  All the european 9mms mentioned above are true semi-auto cartridges that are rimless with an extractor groove. 

Now, the European 9mms, especially the longer ones (longer than the 9mm Luger or 9x19) are definitely not in the same power category as the 38 Super.  The Super is a much hotter round.  You might get away with shooting 38 Supers in 9mm Largo chambered guns for a while, but you are most likely going to wind up with a broken extractor or even a split chamber and the gun then becomes a boat anchor. 

9x23mm brass is available from any number of sources.  9x23mm brass duplicates the overall case dimentions of the longer Eurpoean 9mms and can be reloaded to duplicate any of the European 9mm power levels. 

I would not fiddle with the extractor on any 9mm Largo firearm but just purchase 9x23mm brass and reload in the proper power range - like 9mm Luger levels.  HTH and JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 05:01:49 AM »
I hand loaded for my Star B Super and always used 38 Super brass. I wouldn't use factory ammo because it is at +P levels but hand loaded cases to hot 9mm Luger loads work fine. Just remember if you break the extractor, you may not easily get one and hot ammo will do that in a semi.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline SharonAnne

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 04:52:21 PM »
don't do it. the 9mm largo is not designed for the pressure. VERY BAD IDEA
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson