Author Topic: Model 12 16ga  (Read 546 times)

Offline bartrak

• Trade Count: (1)
Model 12 16ga
« on: January 08, 2008, 10:27:13 AM »
I have a model 12 in 16ga with a 26" full choke barrel. The gun was given to me by an uncle, which told me he brought it new in 1924. The problem I have is it will eject a paper hull but want eject a plastic hull, I believe the ejector is worn or weak. Where can  I get parts and do you all feel that is the problem? I am not a gunsmith and just guessing at the problem.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
Re: Model 12 16ga
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 10:57:32 AM »
To me, a Model 12 is too complicated to fix myself.  I have no problem with BPSs, 870s, Benellis, etc... but the old M12 just has too many small parts.  Every time I have a question or need work I go to Simmons.  They've been the experts in Model 12 work for decades.  I've had them install lefty safeties, replace warn out parts, order lost screws and pins, whatever comes up.  My favorite M12s have the simmons rib as well.

Offline Win71

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:47:10 AM »
Bartrak, I doubt that your problem is your extractor or that there is anything wrong with your Model 12. Model 12, 16 gauge guns prior to 1927 had 2 9/16" chambers, today's 16 gauge shells are 2 3/4" in length. When the longer shell is fired in a shorter chamber the shell opens up past the chamber and into the tapered forcing cone area of the barrel, this can raise chamber pressure and cause sticky extraction. The second problem you are likely to have is the ejection port on your Model 12's receiver is also shorter than later guns with the longer chamber, more than likely this is the problem you are noticing. Some Model 12 owners in the past have had these shorter chambers reamed to accept the longer shells and have had their ejection ports milled longer to aid in ejection. Either one of the operations will greatly decrease the value of your classic Winchester. There is some good news, a couple of different companies are now making shells for these and other old shotguns that suffer the same issues , these shells are listed as 2 1/2" but are really 2 9/16" and will function beautifully in your Model 12. I have a Model 12, 16 gauge made in 1923 and have used these shells hunting upland birds in Michigan and pheasants in South Dakota with good success. Here are the links to the websites for these ammunition manufactures.    http://www.rstshells.com/   http://www.polywad-shotgun-shells.com/    The Poly Wad Speader loads are a little pricey but are great in a full choke gun if you want to use it at closer range, it does are good job of opening the pattern. I would use the RST shells if going where shots are longer and RST's are available in more shot sizes.
You mean to say there are rifles other than old Winchester leverguns ?

Offline bartrak

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:53:01 PM »
Thanks WIN71!!
I knew someone would have the answer. I would not have the gun modified in any way, I will give the web sites you suggested some attention. Thanks Again!!

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:36:14 AM »
Just one other consideration. 
Some of the 'brass' on the promotional shells (not brass really) are very pliable.  Even though the height of the brass is very short, they expand against the walls of the chamber very firmly.  Too firmly.  I have a second year 20 ga (that has had the chamber opened to 2.75) and the promo loads will always require excessive force to eject.  Fire a AA, and it ejects smooth as silk.