Author Topic: ha,another leson learned  (Read 900 times)

Offline catdaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
ha,another leson learned
« on: January 27, 2008, 02:11:26 PM »
i dont know if there is a point to this , but ill tel yall anyway. as i was making my way back to the road out of another wma with no luck in northeast florida,i came acros an old man, he had to have been in his mid sixties, and he was draggin an 8 Pointer, in florida an 8 pointer is a massive deer. his camoflage was blue jeans, a faded plaid workshirt,and an orange hat,his high tech deer gun was a scratched up single shot 12 gauge. we had some words,and went are seperate ways,and as i watched him walk over too the road and get himself and his deer picked up, i felt a case of foolishness that ive never felt before. here i was dressed in realtree every thing,and a 30-06 was what i used, an ive only shot a small doe all season.this old man had taken a huge trophy with nothing but a scatter gun and a map, while i used a treestand,gps,and all the latest in camo... one of the things he said when i asked how he shot such a deer without camofluge.he simply said.. ''i sat real still''

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
Re: ha,another leson learned
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 02:26:54 PM »
I think this is like I have heard from old timers many times on fishing tackle also
Most are made to catch fisherman and their money not fish.
I think the same goes for hunting in my own opinion.
I think most is over rated I don't do all the camo and this and that.
Like the old boy said you gotta sit still.ya you can stalk a deer but I mean if you sit and don't sit still
You are wasting your time. I can't take the cold and my feet etc so I hunt out of a ground blind I don't follow
any of the so called rules.
I smoke and eat and about all you can do wrong and I have had deer 10 foot from me looking right at me.I don't
make eye contact and back to the start if you move your busted.
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 02:51:05 PM »
I've had more close encounters with deer when I'm not wearing camo than I ever have when I was.  I think a big part of it is psychological....."I've got camo on, nothing can see me"....and then we aren't as careful as we would be if we were wearing street clothes and feeling very visible.  Honestly, the only reason I even wear camo when using any kind of firearms is because it's almost impossible now to find decent hunting clothes that aren't camo, other than Walls or Carhartt coveralls.

Offline catdaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »
are mamal's clolor blind, iknow deer are, and turkeys arnt

Offline ken2222

• Trade Count: (23)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 03:38:51 PM »
Guys....I've had this same discussion with my oldest son who won't get near me in the woods. He thinks you have to have all the new fangled stuff...scentlocker and the like. I've always cut apples and thrown 'em in the bag with my clothes but thats about as far as it goes. I shoot nearly all my whitetails from 50 yrds and in....yet I carry weapons that will reach out. I sit STILL.....and that truely is THE secret! I've had more deer next to or under me than I care to count.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 07:08:11 AM »
Camo, cover scent, doe-in-heat, magic bullets, etc. It's all designed to catch the "hunter". If you can't sit still, none of it is worth a hoot.  If you can't be still, you'll never be a good hunter.  Even in a tree stand.  I've watched a "rain" of Hersey Kiss wrappers and cigarette butts falling out of a tree while the "hunter" twisted around and coughed and rummaged thru his possible sack for more candy and such.  And this was before every jerk had a blue tooth hanging in his head: "Oh honey, you say the principal called? Johnny's running a fever so you're taking him to the doctor. That's good, honey. Uh, I am deer hunting. There's one now. Never mind, he's running away for some reason."   ;D

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 10:18:32 AM »
The current edition of Outdoor Life this month had a very good article on deer senses, sight, hearing, etc.  It's worth the read if you can find the magazine.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 04:20:33 PM »
Quote from: beemanbeme
"Oh honey, you say the principal called? Johnny's running a fever so you're taking him to the doctor. That's good, honey. Uh, I am deer hunting. There's one now. Never mind, he's running away for some reason."

Was that YOU on the other side of the hill late last Thursday?  I wondered who it was that forgot to turn their cell phone off.  Thanks for running the largest deer I have seen in some time my way. 

Just kidding.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 07:45:12 AM »
one of the things he said when i asked how he shot such a deer without camofluge.he simply said.. ''i sat real still''

He also more than likely knew exactly "where" to sit real still. His old age and experience along with his woodsmanship narrowed down his choices. Experience in a particular area, especially hard pressured areas open to the public is very important as hiding spots and escape trails for the deer that survive are not as obvious for those that get shot. For a deer to get old in these areas he has to have a spot that most hunters overlook. Many of the larger deer I have taken over the last few years were in areas on public land where twenty years ago I busted bucks by accident or blood trailed them thru. They didn't  like the hot spots where all the hunters that scouted the weekend before had found, they were in areas that without my previous  experience I never would have thought a deer would go there. Happened again this year.  I bet you're old timer got his buck in a spot similar to this. You should have followed his drag trail back to where it was shot......you may have been surprised......and maybe luckier next time out.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 07:56:58 AM »
age and ruthlessness will beat youth and camo every time !
a thought - did the folks that lived off the land and settled the world before malls and grocery stores have camo ?
then again the old guy could have shot it out the window and and his buddy went down the road and turned around while he got it to the road as you walked up !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 10:07:27 AM »
LOL, yeah, that's another good point.  Maybe he was a "road warrior".  ha ha.

Offline catdaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 10:34:38 AM »
pioneers had buckskins, and thats the most perfect camofluge,deer ,squirrels ,rabbit,and  grouse all have gray or brown fur or feathers the most perfect color for any season in the woods,the blacks that still live and hunt in the african jungle, they have natural camofluge,dark colors is all you need , brown, green,gray ,black or tan