Author Topic: The list is in...  (Read 1719 times)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: The list is in...
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2008, 01:23:01 AM »
 Deltecs,
        your last statement especially, rings a bell..The next rebellion could probably be between the Reds and Blues..not so much states, as ideologies.
   It would be much like the Blues and Greens in the ancient Roman empire which started out as two of the colors of the chariot racing teams in the colosseum, and continued on to
  Bysantium, where it became a religious/political force, culminating in rebellion.
     The "Red and Blue" connotation has similar connotations, in that one party is of an individual independence, God respecting nature, while the other is of a collectivist, unbelieving
  nature.
   The  reason I turn from the Red/Blue states formula is because most often states like my own are called Blue, but in reality are Red ..with very populous blue enclaves (i.e. cities).

The real struggle is between the two differing philosophies which I noted above..currently called the " culture war" !

Unfortunately, if we were to break down into an internal struggle, there are now very powerful nations/forces just waiting to devour us. It would be the same if we were to become economically dependent and weak.
  Right now, Wall Street is running scared with a threat of either a Clinton or McCain..

It sure is strange how folks sometimes can be led by one of the truly GREAT ONES and not even realize how great, until he is gone...
        That being said; I will close with some quotes from Ronald Reagan reflecting upon the culture war as he saw it ...

"Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged."

"To sit back hoping that someday, some way, somebody will make things right, is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last__but eat you, he will."

"We are never defeated unless we give up on God !"
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2008, 10:24:25 AM »
Ironglow,I agree.   I think most states are in the same position with regard to the liberal attitudes of metropolitan dwellers.  It seems they have the herd instinct with associated societal morals that the welfare of society is more important than the rights of the individual.  If metropolitan society had morals in reverse, I don't think they could survive.  Especially within high population densities.  Alaska too has this problem; Anchorage is very liberal and is approx 1/2 the States population.  So are the next 2 largest cities, Fairbanks and Juneau, but not with the same intensity.  The Matanuska Valley as bedroom community of Anchorage, is still fairly conservative because the cities within the borough are small yet, even though it has relatively high population for Alaska.  I foresee them too becoming more and more liberal due higher population density.  The ideologies differences are gulfs becoming wider and wider between political parties and bipartisan politics are lacking therefrom.  The same applies in other states within blue and red areas.  Kind of like a marriage where both parties compromise to maintain the union sometimes.  When they cannot or do not compromise, divorce or violence happens.  The same applies equally to wide separations in ideologies.  Within a marriage if one wants to stay married, the health of a spouse is of major importance regardless of cost.  This is the same within our country; some states have been supported with federal tax dollars to the detriment of others and then complain of the high cost spent for improvements or expansion in others.  I wonder just how much money the feds have spent in NY or Cal on food stamps and free medical to illegals.  I bet we could have built that bridge easily then with some of that.  Whether the tax dollars come from the Highway Trust Fund or tax dollars elsewhere, the people are still paying for these services.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2008, 04:38:37 PM »
Agreed Deltecs;

It is irritating to see 100# of groceries bought with food stamps being put in the back of a Cadillac..
   Whatever we subsidize, we get more of !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2008, 05:08:40 PM »
Deltecs, true enough. It could also be not just red versus blue, but rural vs urban. I have alot more in common with some folks in rural Michigan than many in Dallas, Houston or Memphis. Or illegals for that matter, in other words it could be a very bloody & screwed-up mess.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 01:40:58 AM »
Can't understand a state that prides itself on being independent cry so loud for govt. help !
Alaska is a beautiful place , it seems to be one of the few unspoiled places at least in the USA , why spoil it !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline deltecs

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 11:38:58 AM »
Can't understand a state that prides itself on being independent cry so loud for govt. help !
Alaska is a beautiful place , it seems to be one of the few unspoiled places at least in the USA , why spoil it !

Alaska wasn't crying for government help.  Money was tacked to a bill for bridges assistance over several major waterways.  The national news called it pork barrel spending.  Individuals in other states picked up the politically correct term and started crying.  They cried about our game management, expansion of oil development areas, highway and bridge construction projects, jealous of our dividend fund, interfere with our fisheries resources, designate federal land into game preserves, national parks, wilderness areas, and national preserves in areas that are bigger than some states, that lock up our public use of the land for hunting or transversing, and then scream foul if we complain that we are not treated equally as other states.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 11:46:16 AM »
Not sure exactly how or why this turned into a discussion of Alaska vs the lower 48 but back to my question asked real early in this thread.

What is the source of the information on this list? No reference is given as to who supplied it or what it is based on. So again I ask who made up this list and on what is it based? Who decided the spending of funds constituted a pork barrel project?

If the OP can't answer this and neither can anyone else I say again this list and this thread is nothing but BS.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 11:53:11 AM »
 I didn't catch the name of the group but it was one of those taxpayer watchdog groups that was on Fox News the morning I reported it. I may be able to find out who it was if I can trace Fox News back far enough.
   Then again, if one group is no good for for accuracy, then perhaps none of them are..depending upon our individual view..

Offline deltecs

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 01:43:31 PM »
The responses were not about Alaska per se, but to correct inaccurate information with regard to the so called pork spending by Alaska's Representative, #6 on the list.  Other posts were in objection to that spending and attempts were made to substantiate and correct misconceptions.  I too think our concerns have been conveyed to others.

Greg
deltecs