Author Topic: Gas check question  (Read 915 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Gas check question
« on: January 12, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »
I have a couple different molds from Lee, they are special order molds for the 450-70, sized .460 for the Marlin rifles.  A 350gr and 420gr, both accepting gas checks.  I just used, for the first time, a Lee lube/sizer die also sized .460.  Now I always assumed that when I sized them, I placed the gas check on the bottom and ran it trrough the sizer.  I did this but the gas checks just spin on the bullets and can be fairly easily pulled off.

I have some 180gr, 30 cal lead bullets that i had bought.  they have gas checks on them and i cannot spin them at all. 

The Lee sizer, just pushes the gas check/bullet combo up through the die on a flat post, there doesn't seem to be anything that would crimp the bullet.

Did I miss a step or is the die not crimping them on correctly?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Gas check question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 01:51:10 AM »
The push through sizer should crimp them on tightly. Either you're not getting good fillout on the gascheck shank of the bullets, or the mould is a little out of spec. How do the checks fit by finger pressure? They should kind of snap on, not be loose before they're crimped. Are the bullets properly filled out, or are the bases rounded a little?
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 03:58:49 PM »
I guess to be more accurate , it seems like SOME of them are very loose, but none seem to snap on.  I did put some on the last batch and seemed tighter, maybe the lead mix is an issue?  Just using a mix of "whatever" at this time (learning still) and will get more involved with actual mix when I get the rest down pat.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline ron haralson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 05:38:46 AM »
Sounds to me like you've got some old lyman gas checks - the didn't crimp on. My lee sizers work faultlessly in both 30 and 45 calibres.
                                                                      Grouch

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:51:37 PM »
I've never had any of the crimp-on gaschecks, just the press-on type. Most of my stock is nearly 20 years old now. As long as I have done my part in the casting department, there have been no problems getting the gaschecks to stay on. Ah, yes, they have been all Lyman and used in 257Roberts, 6.5x55, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 32WinSPL, 8mm Mauser, 356Win, 357Mag, 38Spl, 40-82Win, 41Mag, 44Mag, and 45Colt. I really like cast bullets.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline ron haralson

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 05:24:47 AM »
The more recent Lyman gas checks were crimp - on just like Hornaday(this goes back somewhere near 20yrs). the older Lyman gas checks didn't crimp on and often fell off just out of the muzzle. I didn't use .45 back then, but it was certainly true with .30, .35, and .25 calibres. It's the only likely explanation I can think of.

Best of luck,
Ron

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 03:33:20 PM »
I had that problem with some .30 cal bullets that I cast from a Lee mold, using Hornady gas checks  I overcame it by running the bullets through the Lee sizer base first. Worked  well for me!
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 01:55:52 AM »
could be a flllout problem. Keep in mind to get reall good fillout with a lee mold you need to run them hot enough to get frosted bullets. could be a dimension problem with the mold but if its one of the ranch dog molds thats probably not the case. Another thing you may try is like was suggested switching gas check manufactures. Some checks fit some bullets better then others. If you try all of this and its still happening you may want to try to aneal your gas checks to make them softer. Put a bunch on a cookie sheet and heat them to a glow with a propane torch and then let the air cool. The softer checks sometimes grab the bullets a little better because they dont spring back as much after crimping.
blue lives matter