Author Topic: Moving to NC?  (Read 553 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Moving to NC?
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:07:15 PM »
I went up to visit my son & grandkids last week.  My wife seemed to like the Hickory, North Carolina area and for the first time in years she talked like she'd consider living somewhere else besides FL.  My pastor retired recently, and I don't have much keeping me here.  I think I could buy a pretty nice house up there using the equity I have built up in my current home.  Any suggestions on finding a job up there?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Oldtimer

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Moving to NC?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 02:45:50 PM »
As long as you stay away from the larger urban areas in NC, the house prices are really reasonable.  That is why a lot of the retirees who move from up North to Florida then come about halfway back, to North Carolina or Virginia.  In fact, the term for them is halfbacks.  As for finding a job, though Hickory is in the middle of the furniture making area of North Carolina, there are jobs to be had.  The main block to finding a job is passing the drug test.  A friend was the manager of a food plant and it was a rare week that they could hire 1/4 of the people they needed, because so many still had dope in their systems.  So, if you are not a dope head, you can come up here and find a job, and you may just run into some of your old neighbors, too. 

Offline sidekick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:54:08 PM »
I lived in the Hickory area from 1979 through the first part of 1984. It was a great place to live then. I get there on occasion to this day for business, and it still seems very nice. The furniture market was still pretty strong back when, but I don't know about today. If my job would allow it, I would move back there in a minute. While there, I was a member of the Catawba County Wildlife Club, which had a great facility for shooting and such. If still in existence, I'd recommend you check it out.

Offline kebs

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 02:48:59 AM »
Before I took my job in Stokes County, I thought about a position in Hickory.  From what I remember you would not be far from Charlotte.  There is a good bit of public hunting land there, and you would be fairly close to the Mountains.  I came from Ohio, and I hear that folks are moving in from Ohio and Florida all the time.  Thus far I like it here.  However, until you get a CHL, you have to get a permit to purchase a handgun.  It is a remnant of the Jim Crow era. You can buy a long gun with no special permit, just the normal background check.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 06:35:23 AM »
Check out the tax situation.  Have a friend that got a big promotion and moved there from Texas.  After taxes she lost money, taxes were a lot higher than in Texas and a lot more of them.  After two years she moved to Florida, to get away from the high N.C. taxes. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:45:08 AM »
I hope she enjoys paying high property insurance.  I have friends with old/little houses paying $6000.00 a year for property insurance.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 01:43:33 PM »
She is looking for a job back in Texas, therefore she is only renting while in Florida.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.