Author Topic: Melting problem  (Read 801 times)

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
Melting problem
« on: January 26, 2008, 05:45:46 AM »
Traded for what is supposed to be WW. Five bricks, approximately 8 lbs each. Looks like they were poured into a coffee can as an ingot mould. Won't fit in my Lee melter. Figured I would melt them in my old faithful stainless pot on a Coleman stove. Cast stuff for my BP like this, using pure lead, for many years.
This stuff will not melt. Got the bottom of the pot glowing a dull red, and the alloy not only didn't melt, didn't even slump. Any ideas about how I can melt this stuff. Anybody got any ideas what it might be?

thanks

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Melting problem
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 04:13:03 AM »
good chance what you have is zinc. it looks like  lead but is much harder to melt. What i would do is take a brick of what you know is ww of the same size and weight them together. Zinc will weight about half what lead does so it should be easy to tell. If they weight close to the same it could be that your coleman stove just doesnt have the btu to heat up a big piece of lead and will take alot of time to do it.
blue lives matter

Offline Idaho Ron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 12:04:54 PM »
tn junk, You won't want to use WW for that .501 in your ML. You will have a tough time getting them down a ML if they are hard.  Ron

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 04:22:07 PM »
tn junk, You won't want to use WW for that .501 in your ML. You will have a tough time getting them down a ML if they are hard.  Ron

Thanks, and I agree. This material is for my .460 S&W and my .357 MAX. I will use only pure lead for my BP guns.

This stuff weighs like lead, so I guess my little stove just doesn't have the BTU's to melt such a big piece. Gonna hafta find some way to do it. I called the guy I got it from and he assured me it was Wheel Weight.

alan

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 01:40:41 AM »
if it weights like lead its probably pure and pure can be a bugger to melt in big chunks without lots of btus!
blue lives matter

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 03:01:24 AM »
Takes a lot of heat alright.  If you ever get a chance to pick up a cast iron pot, don't pass it up.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 01:04:40 PM »
A propane torch will get it down, but it will take an awfully long time. If you have access to a shop that has an oxy -acetylene torch, you can reduce it with that, but it still will take a while. I had a 60 lb. ingot of pure lead that I tried both methods with.  The big torch won out...
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 05:40:44 PM »
Had a brainstorm (or brain fart, not sure which). I'm gonna drill the thing like Swiss cheese with a 1/2" drill bit in my drill press. That will give me the drill chips and I can most probably break the big chunk up with an ax after I drill it full of holes. Both should melt well.

alan

Offline adirondacker

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 06:03:01 PM »
i wouldn,t reccomend this,but i cut my big lead chunks up on a chop saw,i have used a skill saw too.safety glasses and a mask would be reccomended.again i didn't tell you to do it but that's what i do.just a regular carbide framing blade.i know other guys who use a woodsplitter.good luck, adker

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 12:29:33 AM »
When i smelt wws for future use i use a 2 quart cast iron pot for an ingot mold. It makes an ingot that wieghts about 50 lbs. My turkey fryer and bigger cast iron pot have no trouble melting them later.
blue lives matter

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 01:25:47 AM »
I use the same method as Lloyd; have used my fryer base for years with a dutch oven and plumbers dipper.  Use it outdoors only and once lead starts to melt; start lowering the temp to prevent the lead from boiling, yes it can get that hot on a fryer.