Author Topic: Humane Society :(  (Read 979 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Humane Society :(
« on: July 03, 2003, 01:55:27 PM »
The local paper had a letter to the editor from a Humane Society bigwig asking our city council to bad our archery deer season in the city that is used to control the deer heard. Here is my response to that letter. Jim
To the Telegram. Editorial page Letters to the Editor

I felt I had to reply to Lynn Mooney Reginal Coordinator of the Humane Society of the USA letter dated July 3rd 2003

After reading your letter I felt I had to respond. I am a Hunter!! Bow, and Gun. I also have a great appreciation of life, human and animal. Yes I do harvest animals and as humainly as possible. I also realize that our city has a deer problem that has to be taken care of and your methods of repellents, nets, and fences have been proven as not to work. You say we hunters are not humane in our harvesting of animals yet you evidently will not mind that with out hunting, the deer will over populate and either starve to death when we get a harsh winter, or deer / car crashes that leave the animal crippled or suffering along side the road or ditch or dead. Which is more humane?? I feel the hunting is, plus the animal is a resource and not wasted but used to feed some one either the person or family who harvested it, or a food kitchen some where who greatly appreciate the food.

I do know that the Humane Society and PETA would like all hunting and guns banned. I also know the following: Hunters and sportsfolk like animals not just only for food, but for the animals themselves. Most hunters and gun owners have a dog or some other pet. In the case of dogs most are like family and not just a pet used for hunting. Yes I have a dog and he is my spoiled pampered part of the family. Most hunters and shooters appreciate the view of the animals they harvest when it is not hunting season and shoot lots of them WITH A CAMERA!! Or we just like to look at them. We appreciate what nature has given us and show it. Most of us respect animals and when hunting take all means possible to do it safely and humanly.

Hunters, gun owners, fishing people, sportsmen and women offer a lot. We spend lots of money to pursue our sports. LOTS of money! We in spending that money keep a lot of folks in business, all types of businesses. We buy food, clothes, gas, lodging, vehicles, boats, campers, dogs, guns, bows, and accessories, liquid refreshments of all kinds, go to restaurants, and bars, resorts, campgrounds and the list goes on too much to mention. We also through our licenses provide the States and Gevernment with money for wildlife funding. Not just game animals but all wildlife!! If it was not for us sportsmen and women there are species that would have been lost. We saved them due to our funding of wildlife projects! We have a lot to offer!! People of the community, what has the anti gun and anti hunting crowd ever done for you? Next hunting season when you see all of us spending money in your town look to see how many peta or humane society folk or anti gun and hunting people are around spending money? They may be asking you for yours for a donation so they can keep up their propaganda, but I bet they will be spending little of it to line your pockets.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 04:35:06 PM »
Nice rebuttal letter, Jim.  :agree:   We gotta fire back every time one of those guys puts this stuff out there!
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Contributor
    • HANDLOADING FOR HUNTING
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 10:12:12 AM »
Here here... :D
I want to finish well
I want to end this race
Still leaning on HIS AMAZING GRACE

Offline Carl l.

• Avid Poster
  • Hunting,Fishing,Camping and Woodworking
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 10:56:32 AM »
Good Letter--Well Said Carl L.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 12:04:04 PM »
that was a good letter, but did the paper print it????

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2003, 05:46:48 AM »
We have the exact same kind of problem in several municipalities surrounding San Antonio, and the same type of bleeding-heart IGNORANT, well-meaning, but woefully uneducated anti-hunters win the debate every time and hunting is banned in these places.

I can't believe that tax-payers have put up with the charade. Every three or four years (when the deer population has exploded again, unchecked and out of control) the community makes a huge issue of bringing in special wildlife trappers who set up feeding plots and rocket-propelled nets to capture deer and transport them to some remote area that thinks they don't have enough of their own. After the first couple of captures, they can't continue to catch enough deer (they avoid the netted areas). The community spends tens of thousands of dollars to "humanely" catch and release deer, but never solve the root problem.

Ask these "humane" representatives to show you ANY research that demonstrates that deer can be managed well without any form of predation. In suburban America we have virtually wiped out any natural predators of deer save the occasional domestic dog gone wild that kills other animals (and is quickly dispatched for this act). The "humane" folks simply want to view the whole issue as an emotional appeal, and can't or won't look at the facts. They can't bear to tolerate "Bambi" being "murdered" by gun-toting blood-lusting premadonnas. They prefer to let "Bambi" and the whole family die a slow, torturous death by disease, starvation, or injury, meanwhile wiping out the low browse of the entire community and seriously upsetting the entire ecosystem in the process.

I've driven through these communities and I've seen the deplorable, pitiful state of the deer and the entire ecosystem. If these folks have an OUNCE of humanity, they would see that by far the most humane treatment of both deer and the ecosystem as a whole is the useful harvest of a percentage of deer every year. And this can most productively be accomplished only in one way - permit hunting. There is a TON of research to support this stance, and not ONE reputable research project that I am aware of to support the "catch and relocate" theory of management.

Asking these Humane Society people to pull their heads out is like asking a turtle to shed its shell - it would truly take a miracle for it to ever happen. But we can be a voice to those who stand on the sidelines with little or no information about this issue, and help them see things in a more sensible light. Three cheers for the rebuttal letter, Jim!  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.