Author Topic: Brass life span in a 30-30 Handi  (Read 953 times)

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Brass life span in a 30-30 Handi
« on: January 27, 2008, 04:48:01 PM »
As I so often find myself doing, I am mullin a few things over.  I have a few questions for you guys who reload the 30-30 in your Handi rifle. 

What kind of case life to you get out of your 30-30 brass?  I am wondering how much the cases stretch with max or near max loads from the manuals.  How often do you have to trim your cases?  I am aware that 30-30 brass is rather thin compared to the brass from higher pressure cartridges like a 308 or 270.

Thanks for your help. 

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Re: Brass life span in a 30-30 Handi
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 06:31:50 PM »
As I so often find myself doing, I am mullin a few things over.  I have a few questions for you guys who reload the 30-30 in your Handi rifle. 

What kind of case life to you get out of your 30-30 brass?  I am wondering how much the cases stretch with max or near max loads from the manuals.  How often do you have to trim your cases?  I am aware that 30-30 brass is rather thin compared to the brass from higher pressure cartridges like a 308 or 270.

Thanks for your help. 

After 5 firings you will start getting vertical cracks in the case necks. some might go longer. I usually trim and full length resize after each firing. A lot depends on your chamber dimension, as I had a 30-30 handi that was easy on brass as the chamber is way loose on my Topper than the handi was.

I am given so many 30-30 brass that I don't worry about it. Any case not looking good gets tossed. Federal brass generally weighs more and thus I don't use it for my loads, especially if I'm loading stout loads.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:16:38 PM »
If the Federal brass weighs more that is no reason to throw it away. 8.6gr of brass is equal to 1gr of water and about 0.9 gr of powder.. with heavier
brass you get a little more pressure because of the lesser case volume. Just ajust your powder to the case volume.

By seating the bullet further out you can make up more case volume.
The 30-30 has a very long neck, a bullet can be seated .200" and still be
plenty into the neck.

If you adjust your die so the sized case is flush with the chamber your brass will last alot longer because of the lesser stretch.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 02:45:13 AM »
Hey Fred, I should probably clarify my last post. I usually accumulate the Federal brass and trade or give them to someone. I have so many Win/RP brass saved that I'm using those that weigh around 130 grains empty without the primer. Some of the Federal weigh as much as 145 grains and I just don't use them as I have two loadings set up with Barnes X bullets(hunting) and for practise Hornady SSSP's. (I stocked up on the Hornady's before they discontinued them.)

I'm loading fairly stout with 130 grain bullets and am seating near the lands of the rifling. I FL resize so as not to have any problems with stuck cases or cases that don't immediately slide into an empty chamber. I'm not to worried about the life of the brass.

I probably won't change anything I'm doing at this time but I do appreciate the advice. Thanks .............carbineman

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 04:50:35 AM »
In general case life is a function of two factors. Factor one is the pressure level to which you load it. More pressure means shorter case life. Factor two is the chamber of your gun and the amount of headspace associated with it. The larger the dimensions of your chamber and the more headspace it has the shorter the life of your case.

If you have an over size chamber or one with excessive headspace it causes excessive working of the case during resizing and that work hardens the brass which will result in case failure sooner. There is no finite number of loadings to expect from a case and only your experience with your gun and your loads can answer the how many times can it be loaded question.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 07:00:28 AM »
Cabinman.
Consider a 2.0gr reduction of powder with the heavier Federal cases. Since they are heavier they may well be stronger. Full length sizing is fine as long as you don't set the shoulder back beyond flush with the face of  the chamber.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 01:50:09 PM »
Guys, thanks for the replies.  Mainly I was wondering how 30-30 brass life in a Handi compares to a lever action rifle.  In the big picture I suppose I just need to get off the fence and get myself a 30-30 Handi.  I too would be loading spitzers.