Author Topic: cnc handi-rifle parts  (Read 2586 times)

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
cnc handi-rifle parts
« on: January 23, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »
i have been in the steel fabricating and welding business for the past 25 plus years, we build a lot of large and small jobs, in the past 25 years i have built about it all, i am also a handi-rifle shooter, i read the post about the replacement tigger guard and forend spacer, i good friend of mine owns a large tool and die co., i showed him a handi-rifle last weekend, he looked at the tigger guard and spacer, he said he could set up a cnc milling machine and run the parts in blue steel or brass with no problems, he didn't think there was a demand for small run part, he ask me what the demand would be and what parts would sale for, he said to set up a part into CAD and run the odd parts he would need at lease a order of 1000 parts of each part, he did not give me a price on each part, so what is a cnc milled out spacer or guard worth, what would you pay for one of these parts, this is not a done deal by any means, the price may be to high per part, so far he has not gave any prices on the parts. just want your guys replays on the subject.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: cnc handi-rifle parts
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 05:18:36 PM »
I seriously doubt you could get half that many orders, let alone 1000 for what they'd likely cost. The factory blued steel parts when they were available sold for about $70, $30 for the spacer and $40 for the trigger guard if that gives you an idea. Add a poll to this thread and just get an idea of how many would be interested. You can see what Moyers sells em for, but they required a fair amount of work to finish, but aren't expensive.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ro

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »
i am not trying to get into the gun parts business, he was running parts about the same size as a spacer, he said he was selling that part for about $8.00 each, it was just a thought, he may come back to me with a big price of 15.00 each, no way am i going to make a deal for anything,

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:05:44 PM »
You won't know unless you run the poll. One question to ask him is if they'll have the appropriate hole spacing for mounting or if that will have to be done in the final fitting, many won't have the skills or tools to do that. :-\ You might also ask him if he wants to become a GBO sponsor, there may be lots of other opportunities for him here too, and if he can run a small quantity for more money each cuz I think you're gonna run a bit shy of the 1000 needed. :D

Tim

Offline MidTNJasonF

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 09:56:03 PM »
Sounds like his operation is a little too big for such a job if he is talking minimum runs of 1000 parts on a small part like this. It all comes down to how many setup operations are needed to complete the part. the trigger guard would probably take two setups, maybe three. I could probably do it with one setup fixture on a vertical mill and have to sell the part in the $15 to $20 range with a quantity of 100. Those are ball park figures and with that being said I do not quote jobs for our shop. The boss would probably turn such a job down for a new customer and might accept it from a customer we have worked with a bunch simply to keep them happy.

"I've come to realize that just about everything is none of my business." Br. Cassian Vigna

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 10:42:48 PM »
I'd take half a dozen at the price's quoted. 

I'd like to see extractors/ejectors made too. Something from steel and not cast crap.

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 01:12:13 AM »
for the price that was quoted I will take a half a dozen, TO START!!!! Where can I send payment?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 06:19:29 AM »
me too. I'll take 6. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 08:01:49 AM »
Count me in too!
I can use at least 6. ;)

Steve
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline dave hall

• Contributor
  • The Great .458
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 08:45:29 AM »
I like the brass idea that would look good beside the dark wood and dark blueing.I don't really care if it plastic or metal it will just make my 120 look different.I know 4 or 5 guys that would like metal parts,too.
NEF Handi SB2  .45-120 Sharps.
Stoeger Coachgun 20 Ga.
Ruger  SP101 4.2"  .357 Mag.
Rossi Ranch Hand (Mares Leg) 45 LC

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 09:00:41 AM »
My guess is that a ejector type underlug would be a good seller, someone could probably make a good business out of custom barrels if they were avaliable.  I would say $25.00  would not be unreasonable.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline MidTNJasonF

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 10:44:14 AM »
I did not want to give the impression that this was something feasible that our shop would do. I was commenting more on what it might cost, ball park figure, to do for a medium sized machine shop. I guess I am not familiar enough with the Handi rifles yet to understand why it would be needed. Is there a design flaw or a problem with the trigger guard assembly from the factory or is this purely a cosmetic thing?

If someone has a picture or two of the assembly removed from the rifle it would give me a better idea of what would be involved in the fabrication. Again not as a plan to make them but simply as a study in how it could be designed.

"I've come to realize that just about everything is none of my business." Br. Cassian Vigna

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 11:28:05 AM »
There are pics in the FAQs in the trigger job links, you can download Perklo's trigger work info at www.perkloafm.com

Having steel or brass parts replace the plastic parts and look nicer. ;)

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,125031.0.html

Tim

Offline fernie

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 11:54:37 AM »

Factory guard is plastic.

I'd take a half dozen of each right now, spacer and guard...maybe more later.  I'd prefer steel.

Doc

Offline MidTNJasonF

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 01:01:21 PM »
Ahh I see now. I had somehow not noticed that the trigger guard was plastic on my Handi. Now the idea for a custom part makes a little more sense. It actually looks like a very simple part. I assume the trigger guard is fairly universal across calibers what about the forearm spacer. Is it different for various barrel options?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 01:08:43 PM »
Too bad we brought the plastic TG to your attention!! ;D

Only the 10ga/12ga slug gun spacer is different, thinner at the barrel on the two "legs", the metal spacers would work, just need to be modified, the outside dimension is the same.

Tim

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »
I'd take 6 sets as well. I know a few more would come from the shotgun board also.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 02:05:03 PM »
I hear the wheels a cranking ::)  I'd be interested in 6 steel sets also.  Maybe 1 or 2 brass sets.  I emailed the guy in Idaho about the availability of his pieces a little over a week ago and haven't heard from him.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 08:47:38 PM »
I broke a t/g the other day and the action is at NEFs right now.

Colder n hell around here and bumped it too hard and shattered.  part of it hit something inside and the trigger
lost all contact, just swung loose in there.
Since I wanted to get a trigger job and barrel too, thought I'd just not mess with it and send it in for the whole
thing.

I just threw that:  "I'll take six" out there hoping others would chime in as they have to give you something to
discuss with the boss.  Never hurts to show there's a demand for something when you start the discussions.

Might not come up with a thousand, but, I'll just bet if you'd contact the buyer at Brownells they'd jump on a
hundred or more right quick too.  There's other gun parts sellers out there too. This bunch can provide a decent
list of place's to contact if he seems interested.

Good luck, I've been thinking of carving one or two out myself. but, this is a hand cranked mill and lathe I have and
not very good.

Am currently trying to make a "steel" ejector right now to replace a thinned down cast original that broke in my
.17x28 conversion.

Took awhile but, today I finally came up with a short piece of 3/4" drill rod.  Not what I wanted, but, I can make do.

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline goldhound56

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 08:51:20 AM »
I would like 4-6 at the right price !

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 09:49:12 AM »
I too would be interested. I have been wrestling with myself about ordering the cast brass pieces. His service stinks and I have Cinnamon lams on both of my guns, so I think a steel one would look better. If it works out I have 6 fore ends and two frames, might even buy a spare set or so...never know when I will add to the collection. The plastic trigger guards are serviceable and not too bad as holding up, but I just like the thought of some thing a little more traditional.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline ro

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 07:51:35 PM »
i am sorry i posted the cnc handi parts post, it was a just a though when i was in his shop he was running parts, each one of those cnc machines cost over $400,000 each, that is why he wants a run of 1000 parts to set it and run parts, a long round or square steel goes into the back of the machine a part comes of the front and drops into a tub below, this cnc runs 10-12 hours per day everyday making some kind of parts, he can run the parts but i don't think there is demand for 1000 of them here at one time on this site.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 10:57:33 PM »
No need to be sorry. We bounce ideas around here, not all of them work out. ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 06:13:05 AM »
Just having the discussion might trigger an idea with someone.  We all learn and share what we can.  Someone might come across a shop that will do the low production run, but we will never know unless the idea had been brought up.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 06:54:46 AM »
RO...not only Handi rifle small parts but also aftermarket parts for other brands of rifles, pistols and shotguns, tools and doo-dads for the reloading marker.  All it takes is a look through Brownell's or Sinclair's catalogs to see the potential market and where do you think they get their parts????...from some CNC machine shop or home shop entrepreneur.

The main problem is advertising the products...the only way you can sell it to get the information out to the buying public.  I would buy at least 4 sets of trigger guards and spacers...count how many have been "promised" on this forum alone...think about how many Handi's have been sold and how few people actually spend time on forums, then do the math.  Without a market being created by advertising and the actual fact of the parts being available...there IS NO market. 

You have a good idea and if I were younger and not so worn out I would be out there hustling this new world of CNC machines and opportunities.  Remember Mr. Wrigley and his chewing gum...he made billions one stick at a time.  The cost of CNC machines and operators mandate they be kept running making thousands of parts...the more they make the cheaper the piece.

The opportunity is out there and is being grabbed up as we speak.  I just takes some legwork and the ability to take some loss before the knocking on the door stops.

The same idea has been posted on several other forums in relation to pieces and parts and CNC machines, and other newer types of metal manipulation, including EDM of parts and rifle chambers.  I gave the same advice.  Opportunities are there for those able to grab them by the short and curlys and hang on.

'Njoy

Offline ro

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 08:02:31 PM »
i want think all you guys for your posts on this subject, like i said i not getting into the parts business, i think there is a place for these parts but 1000 at a time on this site would take for every to sell at 3 or 4 per order, nef has sold 1000's of these rifles overs the years, lets say they have sold 100,00 handi-rifles, note they have sold alot than that over the years, most people just buy them and hunt with them, they don't care about the handi-rifles like we do, to them its just a cheap low end gun, they have never heard of GBO or been on this web-site, so really the only ones who buy the after market parts is someone like us, most guys won't spend 40.00-50.00 on a 200.00 rifle when the plactic parts are doing the same job
as steel, which i can't blame them for that, but there is a demand for a good milled steel part for these guns, midtnjasonf said worked in tool shop he mite set and run like 100 at a time but the cost would be high per part like quick said from the old factory price cost, after that part drops out of the cnc it has be de-burred, holes drilled, buffed, and put into a hot blue tank, so it takes alot to make just one forend spacer.