Author Topic: Javilaina Hunting Rifle  (Read 648 times)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Javilaina Hunting Rifle
« on: January 05, 2008, 11:36:28 AM »
I am going on my first Javilina hunt  next month in AZ.
I have a few rifles that fit the bill but am concerned about the optics.
I was planning on using a 22 Hornet with a 6-18X 40 scope on it.
My concern is an article I read on a plane about how fast and what kind of brush they run through and I'm not sure I can pick them up on the 6X scope fast enough to make a shot before they disappear.
Should I bring an opened sighted rifle?  And is my 45-70 Marlin  too much with 300 grain bullets?
Next best option for open sights is a .308 bolt rifle.
McDuck

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Javilaina Hunting Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 08:30:27 AM »
I've never shot a mini-pig so anything I say is a pure "wag" (wild a$$ed guess).
 Unless you're shooting at Pdogs or pasture poodles at a distance, your 6x18 is waaay too much.  Open sights suck! The other option is a good ghost ring peep but both of those, open and peep, require a good bit of practice to be good with. 
Since this sounds like it's suppose to be more fun than a hunt of a life-time, I think I'd get some sort of economical (read kinda cheap) 2.5 or 1.5x5 scope and use that.  I just looked in the Natchez flyer and you can get a fixed 2.5 for well under $100. There ought to be all sorts of sales on left over BSA and other stuff going on at Wally's now.
enjoy.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:25:15 AM »
The hornet was set up as a back yard gun to take out ground squirrels in the rocks and coyote at longer ranges and the big scope was a big mistake but I have it and do not have time to rip it off and get a 2-7 Weaver or Leupold on it.  I have had a few BSA's and do not like them.  The cross hairs on my pistol scope are bent.  I guess spiral is a better way to describe them and it would drive me nuts at the bullseye shoots looking at it.
I am actually ok with open sights and am able to find targets quickly with them in the brush.  I shoot cotton tails all the time with my CZ 452 Lux and it works great on running critters.  When I think of AZ I think of open areas and did not think of small quick animals that would be the four legged version of Wood ducks in the swamp until I read the article.
If I had the time and $ I would simply pick up a CZ 527 or Handi with open sights in either 223 or another Hornet to use.   I guess I'll take the Hornet and a 357 Handgun and just sling the rifle if it's too thick.
McDuck 

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 11:35:16 AM »
i don't clam to be an expert, the last javalina hunting i did was an off shoot of deer hunting,
we shot them with pistols and open sights, i had a 44mag ruger with i think a 10 inch barrel
 i would think the hornet would be fine, with no scope, or low power.
Been a long time.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 12:48:44 PM »
Thanks for the input.
I am going to bring a handgun so I should be OK.
Either a 6" 357 or 44. 

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 01:20:56 PM »
I've set up a ruger ultralite in 243 with a 2x7VX-II scope.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »
a 243 was one of my other options but I don't have the time or the $ to change things around for the hunt on the 20th.  So I'm going with what I have and will see.
The two rifles that are on the list for this year are a Ruger M77 (Either a SS Hawkeye or a Compact) in either 243 or 260 with a Weaver 3-9X38 scope and a CZ 527 Lux with open sights in 223.