Author Topic: Rust  (Read 1141 times)

Offline crimsontalon

• Trade Count: (0)
Rust
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:42:45 PM »
Not sure if this is where i need to post this but i pulled the breech plug on my ml today and what did i find but a good ol rusty breech plug and some small rust spots in the barrel.I cleaned up everything as much as i could & everything looks ok the barrel may have some very minor pitting but i ran a couple of clean patches through after everything was done & I Didn't see anything after i did that but my question is even if there is minor pitting in the barrel & the breech plug rusted  should this affect the rifle in any way.I don't think it will but i was reading & saw that rust can weaken the threads on a breech plug & create a problem.Like i said I'm not sure if this is where i need to post this but I figured since its a CVA someone might be able to help.Thanks.

Also when everything went back together this time i put a good bit of oil on the breech plug & down the barrel I did this before with the barrel but not the breech plug i figured the anti seize would prevent rust "wrong".Could it be that i didn't put enough oil in the barrel before or do i need to go another route such as bore paste  or something to keep this from happening again?
Roll Tide!

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
Re: Rust
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 06:46:21 AM »
I don't think there will be any problem with your muzzle loader. I check mine often use bore butter on it and in it and have not had a problem. I was looking through the new Cabela's Shooting and Reloading Catalog and found a product from CVA called the Barrel Blaster Rust Inhibitor Plug. The statement on the item states that you put the plug in the barrel and it releases a vapor that mixes with the air in your barrel to form protection for your barrel and inhibits rust and corrosion. If, you live in a damp climate this might help and it is only $11.99.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:55:21 AM »
The key to rust/corrosion prevention in a muzzleloader is making sure it's clean first, use a breech brush and lots of hot water to clean it well and it shouldn't be a problem with just about any decent breech plug lube, I've used Bore Butter, Gorilla Grease, Super Lube and some home made concoctions on breech plugs, never had a rust problem.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 06:56:19 AM »
For the last 2 years I quit using hot soapy water to clean my T\C black powder Hawken. Now all I use to clean it is FIRST I run an alcohol patch down it to get out the major fouling. SECOND, I use http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=985312&t=11082005 CVA Bore Blaster foam cleaner. Then FINALLY, I run a patch soaked with http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=667637&t=11082005 Breakfree CLP down the barrel.

If I'm going to shoot the gun within 24 hours, I will run a dry patch down the bore before I reload it. If it's going to "storage" I make sure it's a heavy soak patch. I have no rust problems using Breakfree CLP. Good stuff.

MHO

Dave

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 09:05:58 AM »
Watch out when using the CVA bore blaster product if you have a nickel finish. Sits too long and it stains the nickel. I use Birchwood Caseys scrub to clean after a hot water bath. I then use Birchwood Caseys Barracade as a lube. If you had rust around the breech, you might want to inspect hammer area and trigger. I am not sure which rifle you have but I have an Optima you can't break down. In the early going I didn't get dried out and got some rust. Now I use an air hose to make sure it gets dried before I lube everywhere.

Offline crimsontalon

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 02:23:05 PM »
I use the CVA barrel blaster foam also & it is great stuff works really well,I think I'm gonna give the Break free a try I've been using a small bottle of outers gun oil I've had for years maybe its not doing the job.

My ml is a optima also & i am glad you mentioned rust around the hammer i need to check that.Will the compressed air in cans work for this or is it better to use air from a compressor?

Roll Tide!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 02:38:20 PM »
Unless the compressor system has a seperator, it will have moisture in it too, that's why compressors have a drain on the bottom of the tanks.

Use really hot to boiling water to make the final rinse to heat the metal good and you won't need to use compressed air, it dries super fast, lube or oil it right away, I've been using that procedure for the last 20yrs or so, it works well. You could also use WD40 to get rid of any moisture, then wipe it out and use a better protectant, although WD40 isn't all that bad for short term protection, it rated better than several others in the GunZone test.

I hook an old washer hose to the utility faucet in the basement, the hose without a fitting on the end is the perfect size to fit snug in my CVA and TC inline breeches, just turn the hot water on and run it for a couple minutes and it will be hot and clean, then dries fast.  ;D

Breakfree CLP is one of the best and readily available lubricant/protectants you can buy. ;)

Tim

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Offline crimsontalon

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 05:15:19 PM »
I Forgot i had a can of Break Free so i cleaned all of the old stuff off and applied Break free.Also I'm going to start storing the gun barrel down like i should have been doing all along ::)

Now I've got to figure out how to get a fiber optic pin for the font sight don't know why it broke I haven't hit it on anything. I sent CVA a e-mail maybe they can point me in the right direction.

I appreciate all the advice.Thanks
Roll Tide!

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »
I do exactly like Tim does. I quit using solvent after I quit using Pyrodex. The hot water works well and then I run break free down the barrel and clean out the breach plug in boiling water. Ill run a wire through it to knock anything out then I spray it with break free. I don't even put grease on the breach plug unless I shoot it a bunch.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 06:27:50 AM »
Tim, thanks for the tip on using a short hose. I have been using hot water but poring it down the barrel. I haven't been getting water around the hammer and trigger area because of the fact you can't break it down with the standard Optima. You think it would be ok to clean with hot water also?

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 06:52:44 AM »
I Forgot i had a can of Break Free so i cleaned all of the old stuff off and applied Break free.Also I'm going to start storing the gun barrel down like i should have been doing all along ::)

Now I've got to figure out how to get a fiber optic pin for the font sight don't know why it broke I haven't hit it on anything. I sent CVA a e-mail maybe they can point me in the right direction.

I appreciate all the advice.Thanks

If you just need the optic insert, just go to Lancaster Archery http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2714 and you can get a selection of colors and sizes that will fit just about any need you may have. I bot a bunch of different sizes about 2 years ago and now I have 'em when i need 'em. They are not expensive to buy.

MHO

Dave

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 06:53:46 AM »
Oldrookie,

I chamfered the hose end so it would seal better against the breech threads, it doesn't go in far, but is good enough if I don't turn the pressure on too high,  just go easy on the pressure and it should work for ya. ;)

Tim

Offline crimsontalon

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 06:32:21 PM »
I checked the hammer area for rust looked like there was a little in there but i think it was just grime & dirt i cleaned that up & sprayed a little break free down in the area that is exposed when the hammer is back.Maybe i should have asked before i did that but is it going to hurt to do that?
Roll Tide!

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 08:42:18 AM »
I would have done the same. Breakfree won't hurt a thing. You done good!!!

Dave

Offline crimsontalon

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »
Good deal.Thanks for the help.
Roll Tide!