Author Topic: A Sobering Experience  (Read 1093 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
A Sobering Experience
« on: January 23, 2008, 03:40:42 PM »
It only takes a moment of "not thinking". :-[

Tim

http://dishhead.home.insightbb.com/leg.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: A Sobering Experience
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:04:17 PM »
Wow, he really fell asleep at the switch.  He was testing a safety - how ironic.  I'm glad he survived and that no one else was hurt.  He is lucky he wasn't home alone.   :o

Offline ironduke2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 04:46:48 PM »
Basement in that condition shouldn't be a reloading room. Bob

Offline fernie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 06:05:02 AM »
That's gotta hurt...

..that's why it's called an 'accident' instead of a 'planned.'

In about 1980 I went to a shooting range in s. Wis..  On the wall they had a photo of a man lying prone at their range.  He had reassembled his bolt incorrectly and on his first shot at the range it came back and killed him instantly as a result.  I've never forgotten that photo...nor will I these.

I never pick up any gun without following the same exact procedure EVERY time...I don't care how stupid others may think I am in doing so.

Offline bscman

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 06:21:11 AM »
Among the other things mentioned, I'm wondering why he was testing his safety with a LOADED WEAPON....especially inside his home!

Wow...

Offline fernie

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 11:39:13 AM »
P.S. -

I think it took a lot of guts to post something like this on yourself on the internet.  I mean, who want's to be judged by the world?  If you're out there, thanks.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 01:16:48 PM »
Ouch!!!!!!!
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 01:35:03 PM »
Stupid is as stupid does. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 01:51:41 PM »
Everyone who handles firearms should read that & see the pics.  A real wake up call.  Thanks for posting.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Beers

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 06:56:07 PM »
"Life sucks until you accidently shoot yourself in the leg. Then you realize life hadn't sucked as much as you thought it had." - That's actually one of the better quotes I've read in my lifetime.

I gotta commend this guy for posting all this on the 'net. It's always wise to learn from one's mistakes, but to learn from the mistakes of others is preferred.

This guy is extremely lucky... I'm gonna guess he managed to miss the femoral artery, sever that and you don't have much time at all....

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 05:27:25 AM »
Well, maybe stupid is as stupid does.  But sometimes people just get in a hurry and make poor choices.

One day I was cutting a ziptie at work.  I used my Benchmade knife instead of a box knife because they are tough.  Should have used scissors or wire cutters, but then I would have had to walk to get them.  So even better, I cut down with the knife. 

I didn't even feel it when I stabbed myself.  I thought that the knife just slipped off.  I looked down at the knife and thought, "why is there grease on this knife?" 

It was fat from my leg. 

There was a small blood spot on my workpants.  Then when I put 2 and 2 together, blood just gushed out and started soaking my sock. 

Scary stuff.  Learned a couple of lessons.

The picture doesn't do the bruise justice.   The pressure bandage that I put on it is why there is purple line below the wound.  I think that I was incredibly lucky to have stabbed myself with a 3-1/2 knife and only nicked an artery with it.

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 06:42:26 AM »
Bluebayou, knives slip too much to suit me so I generally use my leatherman pliers for that sort of thing. Mash the blob and the end pops out.

If I have to use a knife, I slice at an angle. Mush easier and much better control, and easier on the edge.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 01:18:11 PM »
I too would have to commend the guy for posting this on the Internet. His was a very hard lesson learned and he will have several months of rehab to deal with.
I think that his overall pain and suffering (not to mention having the hell scared out of him) far out weighed what others might think of him in his quest to keep this from happening to someone else.

This should be a real wakeup call like jcn59 said. The whole thing may have been stupid and senseless but these things can be cured. Once you are gunshot though, most will say that you tend to stay
gunshot for a long time.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 05:23:55 AM »
And, when the house is dark and quiet, he thinks about how lucky he really was. And how badly things could have gone. 

Offline toysoldier

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »
I helped patch up a couple of guys who didn't pass the course at the Chapman Academy in Columbia, MO. This was a top firearms instruction facility, teaching LEOs, paramilitary, and some you just didn't ask about. All were experienced with firearms; they were being supervised by top instructors. Still, accidents happened. I think the lesson for us all is NEVER to be complacent. A little obsessive-compulsive behavior is a good thing when handling firearms.