Author Topic: 243 Rossi  (Read 1742 times)

Offline jjamna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
243 Rossi
« on: October 30, 2007, 06:08:42 PM »
What is it with the 243's. I was looking thru all the old post and a lot of people are having trouble getting them to shoot good. I had a Rossi 243 with bull barrel and it would not shoot better than 6 inches at 100yds. Had 3 or 4 cases blow in half that is when i sent It back to Rossi. When I got it back it looked like a different barrel as far as I could tell but It still didn't shoot worth a hoot. I took it to my gunsmith and we put a Field  Headspace gauge it it and it closed and fired. We put a no-go headspace gauge in it and it closed and fired. We put a Hell no don't go headspace in it and it closed and fired. We put a Dummy 270 Win cartridge in it and it almost closed. For all of you with accuracy problems with the 243 that is what I would check. Unfortunatly I don't have a fix other than trade it. Bad part about trading it is some kid may get it and get turned off to hunting because he or she can't hit anything. Or worse they may get hurt. I would like to see Rossi Recall the 243's but I don't look for that to happen. Like I said I sent mine back to them and they didn't fix it. Please post If you check yours and that is the problem maybe Rossi will do something then.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: 243 Rossi
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 05:02:24 AM »
Maybe the round itself tends to be problematic.  Seems a lot of guys with H&R/NEF single shots were complaining about similar problems with the .243 in the past. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline dpastordan

• Avid Poster
  • Shooting firearms since 1962
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 10:11:29 AM »
The .243 can be finicky at times.  I had a Remington 742 that was very accurate with Federal, Winchester, Remington, and handloads.   Normally 1" to 1/2" groups at 100 yards.   I tried some Lapua (Norway or Sweden mfg.) when stationed in Germany and they all stuck!  I would shoot and then half to pull on the bolt to get the brass out.

I have an NEF in .243 that began shooting all over the paper.  It took awhile to break it in.  Shoots fine now.  My other .243 is a Remington Model 7.  I've only used Federals so far with acceptable groups - 1 1/2" to 2" groups thus far.  I have some Remington and some hand loads waiting for my next trip. 

Offline CRDNLPLT

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 01:09:26 PM »
Finally got out to shoot my Rossi 243 non bull barrel after almost a year of owning it.  Shot 58gr Hornady, 80gr Rem (not core lokt, but can't remember which) and 100gr Rem Core Lokt factory loads.  Some of the Hornady's hit the paper sideways it appeared.  The 80gr Rems did ok but the 100gr Rem Core Lokts were shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yards.  Couldn't get over to the 100 yard range but will try them when I can.  Thought I'd let you guys know as this gun appears to have a bad rap. 

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 04:46:55 PM »
I would tell any young hunter looking at a rossi 243 to
save the hard earned money they have burning a hole
in their pocket and buy a slingshot or ball bat and they will get
better results.
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE