Author Topic: Stainless Redhawk Cylinder  (Read 715 times)

Offline Steve in Michigan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Stainless Redhawk Cylinder
« on: January 31, 2008, 02:38:43 AM »
Is there any easy way to clean off the carbon burn rings off the front of the cylinder on my stainless Redhawk? I've always had to scrub and scrub to get them off. I know it doesn't affect the revolver, but I would like to have the front of the cylinder the same color as the rest of the gun.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Stainless Redhawk Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 03:12:32 AM »
most gun shops have a cloth you can buy that will remove it , mine was about 4 dollars , starts off a yellow color .
it may have been marketed under Birch Wood Casey brand !
then Flitz will work as will tooth paste with baking soda
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 04:20:29 AM »
Thanks, Shootall. I've used all of those methods and it still requires a fair amount of scrubbing. I'm wondering if there is an easier way, like putting the cylinder in the dishwasher or something like that someone has tired and works well with no damage to the cylinder.

Steve

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 04:37:45 AM »
try brake cleaner then but remove grips first !

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 05:22:26 AM »
most gun shops have a cloth you can buy that will remove it , mine was about 4 dollars , starts off a yellow color .
it may have been marketed under Birch Wood Casey brand !
then Flitz will work as will tooth paste with baking soda

That is what I use also... no idea what the name is but it is for stainless only don't use it on a blued gun

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 05:31:52 AM »
Why in the world do you care? If it builds up enough to be a problem it's mostly likely not just carbon anyway. I remove the cylinder to clean it from time to time but only rarely on my guns. When I do I use Hoppe's #9 the original and some 0000 steel wool and take off anything that really matters rather quickly and then lube it up and put it back together again.

You're never going to make a fired revolver look unfired again and for the life of me I don't understand why that goal is even considered. That mind set is foreign to me so I just can't wrap my mind around it.

I buy mostly stainless guns because they require less frequent maintenance than blued guns. I'll give them a wipe down to remove finger prints after each shooting session and then when the build up of gunk gets bad enough to affect accuracy or function I'll break down and do a thorough cleaning and get back to doing what is fun and that is shooting. I hate cleaning guns almost as bad as I hate anything I can find to do so I do it as little as necessary but when necessary I do it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 06:26:30 AM »
I agree with you 100% Graybeard. I seldom clean my guns on the inside and most of my cleaning consists of wiping them down and removing the dirt on the outside.

I was toying with the idea of selling it (I lost my job in September. Michigan Sucks) and I wanted it to look good.

Steve

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 06:48:58 AM »
Then in that case I'd use a combination of methods. The Hoppe's and steel wool should get most of the carbon build up off. Those yellow treated cloths work on lead like nothing else as long as the metal is SS. If you still need to take off more you might try a brass or bronze brush with a Dremel tool or drill. If you really just absolutely GOTTA get it all off you might have to remove metal. In that case don't remove anymore than you have to. A very fine abrasive cloth like 400-800 grit sand paper might get the last.

Personally I don't think it's worth that last extra effort and don't think it will enhance the value or sale ability of it at all.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 08:40:28 AM »
shoot steve, i've used alot of different items,the best seems to be a bronze brush
and mothers car polish. alot of folks like flitz. you just may find it at an auto parts store,if not there natchez and midway carry it. good luck, dan

Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 12:11:32 PM »
I'm the opposite on cleaning, I enjoy it and look at it as part of the day. I don't shoot all the time though, I guess if you're lobbing a lot of lead down range it could get old after a while.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline counterfitter

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
Amway  sells a metal cleaner called L.O.C. PLUS ,it removes heat burns on stainless steel pans. Just a dab on a clean shop rag takes the black right off.

Offline Jay HHI6818

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 03:10:24 AM »
Try using Flitz . I use it on my FA & S&W 686. Takes a small amount of rubbing.

Offline Wingman26

• Avid Poster
    • Wingman 26 Home Page
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 11:20:39 AM »
A brass bristle brush will take most of it off in a few seconds.
John
Site Staff  http://mp-pistol.com/
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 08:31:51 AM »
kroil oil might also