Author Topic: Anybody use Uncle Bud's Bull Bag?  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Stan M.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Anybody use Uncle Bud's Bull Bag?
« on: May 17, 2003, 06:07:37 PM »
I was looking at Uncle Bud's Bull Bags and was wondering if anybody here was using them? I was looking for something to sight in rifles and  maybe some groundhog hunting. I was using a Loghman sight vise but found it to be time consuming ,clamping ,unclamping especially with break open single shots.  I have an Outers Varmiter vise but don't feel it is that steady and it seems a little akward. Thought about buying a mechanical front rest, and bag with a rear bag, like the bench boys use. My Harris bipod works fine with some rear support. The Bull Bag looks more practical and simple.
Thanks,
Stan

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 04:15:36 AM »
Stan, I have a similar bag made by DOG GONE GOOD. I think they are out of Oregon.   They are on the internet and have several different styles/sizes.  If you want they pack them with some type of shredded plastic which works great.  I have had excellent results with mine.  I dont know if the Uncle Buds bag is as good or not.  I have seen them in the store and they look  the same . . . but I do not know if they shoot the same.  It is important with this style bag to push the upper parts of the bag together once you have your gun set.  This helps hold the gun from jumping up when you shoot.  Good luck with your choice . . . the research is half of the fun. :D
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Contributor
    • HANDLOADING FOR HUNTING
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 07:30:01 AM »
I have a buddy that has one and he loves it..
I want to finish well
I want to end this race
Still leaning on HIS AMAZING GRACE

Offline KN

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 01:10:47 PM »
I have a Ballistics Shooting bag from Cabellas and it works OK but I prefer a Harris bypod.  KN

Offline Camel 23

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 07:02:02 PM »
Just a comment about the Loghman sight vise that you mentioned, its a waste of money.

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 08:48:18 AM »
I've got a bull bag and it works great. The tacky material it rests on takes a lot of the felt recoil so I use it to sight in my big rifles too. It works great on the hood of my truck when shooting prairie dogs too.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 10:56:38 AM »
My previous post here was shooting lighter calibers.  But now shooting my 7mm I find that my rifle is bouncing upwards instead of coming straight back.  This is a 24" barrel, not a carbine.  Is it possible to have too hard of a shooting bag?  I do not know why else this would happen.
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 07:04:07 PM »
One of my buddies at work has on he's wanting to sell. I carried it out today and tried it out. I've got a Lohman Magnum sight vise and I fell more comfortable shooting with it than the Bull Bag. I did turn the Bull bag sideways, kicked out the bottom of the bag and folded one side of the top over and found what I think may be the best contender and auto pistol rest I've ever used. I rested the butt of the contender on the bottom of the bull bag and layed the contender across the top edge. Very stable and recoil absorbing. Too bad I can't use that method with any revolvers due to gas escaping from the cylinder gap. I may talk numbers and wind up getting it. I could always learn to love it for the right price.  :-D

Frog :D
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES

Offline Stan M.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2003, 06:09:55 AM »
Thanks for all of the input! I think I will give the shooting bag method a try. Unle Bud now has a new shooting bag that is velcroed together and will seperate for different configurations. I might wait and get that one when I find one in the catalogs.
 I think the bull bag will work fine on the shooting platform I have across the bed of my truck, at rear near the tailgate. I can leave the weighted bag on the platform while checking out the ground hog fields. I can then get out and get a shot off without a lot of set up time. I could seperate the bag and use one of the smaller bags under the butt stock when using the bipod riles.
  My neighbor is excited about this folding shooting bench from Mobile Hunting Tecnologies called the Mobile Hunter. http://www.mobilehunter.com/index.asp
It folds up and can be set up in a couple of minutes. He tried it has to have one now. It weighs 15 Pounds.  I'll try it when he buys it.
Thanks again,
Stan