Author Topic: What daypack is your choice?  (Read 789 times)

Offline tominboise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What daypack is your choice?
« on: August 22, 2003, 06:09:40 PM »
I am trying to decide on a day pack for deer & elk hunting.  I have been using a fanny pack for the last 10 years, but am getting tired of it pulling my pants down and not fitting under my coat.  I also want a little more capacity to carry my coat when I shed it, etc.  I ordered an assault pack from cabelas, but it doesn't seem quite right to me, and it was $70.   I am thinking of a cheap "jansport" or similar from the used sporting goods store, but am not sure if that will do it or not.  

What do those of you who use a day pack, use?  The intended game is mule deer and elk in Idaho and Montana, so lots of walking, and the requirement to pack a certain amount of survival gear.

TIA,
Regards,

Tom

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 06:57:58 AM »
:D There are a lot of opinions on this, here's mine.
I've used a number of different packs, both fanny and daypacks. Most of the time I don't need something real large. I don't camp for a few days. I leave a big packframe at camp for packing out game. Those fanny packs pulling your pants down are really annoying. I put shoulder straps on mine and incorporated my shoulder holster for my contender into it. It worked well. The drawback was that I had all these straps to figure out everytime I went to put it back on. I used a couple different daypacks. Get one you think is big enough. I have one designed for biking  that I like. It has side pocket for a water bottle and an elastic strap that works well for holding a big jacket, too bad its not camo.

Offline Bucky

Day Packs
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 07:10:09 AM »
I use the Bianchi Endurance daypack.  It works pretty well, it has a pouch for the hydration pouch, and it is comfortable on my shoulders and back. 8)

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 04:34:27 PM »
I use what we call a "Combat Pack" in the army.  I was issued this thing a few years ago, and you can pick them up in almost any Army surplus store.  Another thing you might consider is called a "Ranger 3 day pack".  I like to use these small backpacks because I carry about 3 days worth of MREs and other necessities just in case.  Hope this helps.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 04:12:55 AM »
I too have come to hate the regular old fanny pack, but I never really like full packs because it's tough to sling a rifle.  Last year my wife bought me one of those fanny packs with shoulder straps from Cabelas.  I couldn't be happier!  I love this thing.  The shoulder straps keep it up, which helps with the falling pants and moves the weight off your hips.  It's got straps in all the right places, making it a cinch to strap on your jacket or coat as the day warms.  It was a bit pricey at about $75 or so, but it has been well worth it.

Offline Questor

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 02:40:43 AM »
I used a $10 day pack from Wal Mart for a while but it didn't hold up too well. I replaced it with a $35 daypack from another department store and it is much better. I don't remember the brand, but it competes with Jansport on price.  They do have a lot of nice features when you get into that price range.  The ones I completely rejected were the $50 to $70 day packs. They aren't worth it in my opiniion.
Safety first

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 02:44:02 PM »
:D I picked up a used jansport pack at Goodwill today, $3 . It's not as nice as my bike pack but I may use it for bowhunting. I'm letting it air out for a few days on the line even though it doesn't smell. It's green. :P

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2003, 06:43:43 AM »
I DON'T CARE FOR FANNY PACKS CAUSE I'VE LOST MY FANNY WITH OLD AGE, AND BACKPACK STRAPS PULL WHEN I SHOULDER A RIFLE.  WHEN I HUNT BLACK POWDER, I USE A POSSIBLE BAG ON A SHOULDER STRAP.  I FOUND A CAMO BAG ON A STRAP FOR CARRYING ON MY SHOULDER WHEN I RIFLE HUNT.  I CAN SWITCH SIDES IF ONE SHOULDER GETS TIRED AND IT DOESN'T SLIDE OFF MY NONEXISTANT ASS.  HUNTERS WITH PURSES - WHAT NEXT?

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.