Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 723 times)

Offline Pike

• Trade Count: (0)
Need advice
« on: March 06, 2008, 07:20:39 AM »
I have been reading the forum for the last couple of weeks and am still somewhat undecided. I wil be getting my ccw in the near future and I am trying to decide on what typs of gun to get. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices between a Ruger SP 101, a Ruger SR9 and the Springfield XD. Recoil is not a factor for me. I have a Bisley 44 mag. at home and when I shoot it a the range I usually go through a box of shells with no adverse affects. Several of my friends have the XD's in 40 cal. and they swear by them. I not sure what advice that I am looking for. Money is an issue so I want to be sure I get what I really need. I would like to keep the cost down to 600 or less. I am not really sure that I need something with more than 5 or 6 shots. If I do I probably should not have been in that area to begin with and I also want some thing that my wife can also use. Any advice would be appreciated

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Need advice
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 07:36:24 AM »
All things considered , first the wife - is she comfortable with an auto . Can she pick it up and use it with out looking for controls ? can she rack the slide with ease ?
second -weight and shape can you carry it all the time . Don't laugh when i got my lic. i started with a Colt 45 now after years of trial and error its a S&W mod. 38 .  Alum. frame  $ 400.00 + or - a couple bucks . I have the sp-101 and they are heavy at times . I like pocket carry as it works winter or summer . Trust me on this carry in the same place or you will reach for something that's not there when you need it .
I agree with you if you are shooting more than a few rounds you are in an armed conflict not a street confrontation and had better be looking for an escape route instead of reloads .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 07:42:42 AM »
Pike - I'll definately go with Shootall.  I have a S&W M38 and feel quite comfortable with it.  There are times when I hardly know I have it in my pocket.  Heaviest thing about it is the ammo.... 

Price is about right too.  With this is mind you could get the M38 for carry and a nice, used S&W Model 10 Police trade-in for at home.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline gila_dog

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 08:55:23 AM »
A lightweight revolver is a wonderful thing until you shoot it. It sounds like recoil isn't a big thing to you, but it may be to your wife. I know a couple of ladies who bought lightweight .38's. They shot them about 10 times, and put them away. Yes, they have guns, but they aren't any good with them because they won't shoot them... it hurts too much.

My wife has a S&W model 36 .38 spl with a 2" barrel. It's made of steel so it weighs more than those airweights. But with its Pachmeyer grips it isn't too bad to shoot. She is pretty good with it. And it's simple to operate.

Most women I know aren't that interested in shooting, so they don't do enough of it to really become competent with a semi automatic. Too many buttons, the slide is hard to operate, they can't stuff more than 4 or 5 rounds into the magazine because their fingers just aren't strong enough or tough enough, don't know where to start to clear a jam, etc. I don't know if your wife is like this, or not, but if she is, a .38 revolver is probably your best choice. I would then buy a good double action .22 revolver when you can afford it. With that she can learn to shoot safely, competently and accurately, without the cost or recoil of the .38.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »
my wife carries and shoots the model 37 airweight . with no problem .

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 02:01:22 PM »
I vote for the SP101. The extra weight makes it nice to shoot especially if your wife is recoil sensitive.
With 148 grain .38 wadcutters the recoil will be very mild with that gun.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 02:41:16 PM »
 I have a few pistols and usually end up caring either a Walther pp or a CZ 82 in 9mm makarov. its simple i love my 1911 but it is too big to conceal on a small frame. There is no weapon that gives a one shot knock down, just ain't going to happen ,if it would knock down a man it would break the arm of the shooter. carry a weapon that you can conceal properly, people get nervous when your gun peeks out, and one you can shoot accurately . nothing more impressive than a big ole 50 cal revolver that the shooter closes his eyes and turns his head before he jerks the trigger on.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 02:23:27 AM »
doublebass , do you carry all day every day ?
it ain't all about shooting its about having it with you .

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »
Before you buy the SR9 or the XD make sure your wife can operate them if she is going to use the gun you get. When I sold guns I saw way too many men buy guns for their wives that they wanted for themselves. Their wives couldn't rack the slides. The women were frustrated, and the husbands were mad.

I think the SP101 would be a great choice. You've got three power loads to work with: .38 Special, .38+P, and .357 mag. That covers plinking, self-defense, and really serious self-defense. Aside from the dependability of a revolver, it is much easier to load and operate. It's a good size for carry, too. My wife has carried the 3" model for about 14 years now. She got the laser grips a couple of years ago, and she sure likes the little red dot. It's smaller than the SR9 and XD and with magnum loads it packs a bigger punch. (Ya might only hit 'em once — make it count! ;D) Accurate, too.

Oh well, that's my 2¢.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Bigbuck

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 07:43:44 AM »
My SP 101 is pretty much a daily carry item for me.  It is a little on the heavy side....but no more than my buddy's XD Compact when fully loaded.  The SR9's grip seems a little long to me for good concealed carry, but I like the way the gun feels.

If you're wife may also carry this gun....it depends on if she's a "gun person" or not.  If she's not familiar with clearing a stovepipe...I'd get the revolver for ease of use.  Pull the trigger and go bang.... big bangs ;D

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »
Take a semi-auto, create a stovepipe jam and have her clear it. You'll have your answer real quick. Revolver !
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 07:05:20 AM »
Dave in WV now that was simple !

Offline Pike

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 03:35:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies. This will mainly be a carry gun for myself .but I just need one that my wife would be able to use in an emergency. With this in mind and the advice recieved I will be looking for a SP101. If I have any further questions I will be sure to ask them here.