Author Topic: which should i buy?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline soggy

• Trade Count: (0)
which should i buy?
« on: January 01, 2008, 06:40:48 AM »

Looking for a fully rifled slug gun, and have a couple of choices....

H&R Excel 5 Combo - can buy for $599 (Cdn $) and get both barrels.

Ithaca Deerslayer 20 ga. NIB at $699

Savage 210F at $619

Kinda of leaning towards the H&R as having another smoothbore is appealing, but how accurate are these as slug guns?

Appreciate any feedback on this.

Happy New Year!

Soggy.

Offline deerhunter10

Re: which should i buy?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 07:30:22 AM »
Soggy, here's the info that I've gotten over the past year of research myself after being in the market for another shotgun. First I would probably lean towards a 12 ga verses a 20 ga. I know this is an arguable subject, but the gun manufacturer's and ammo companies have given me some of the ballistics and data on file, and with the wider variety of ammo selection, energy and performance I've personally seen in the field, the 12 makes more sense.

As far as your gun selections, what I've heard from people that have them and read myself. The deer slayer is supposed to be outstanding. It's got a screw in barrel like a rifle does, and accuracy is supposedly amazing. As far as the Savage 210 goes, they have had some major ejection issues, if you don't use super high rings your shell will not eject, and for the gun to function properly as per their design, from accuracy to ejection etc, you must use 3 inch slugs, and that came staight from savage. As I have spoke with multiple techs over there. However it is a very accurate gun. Again from the info I've gotten from the people that have shot this gun the H&R slugster is probably the most accurate of the bunch, it's a 10 ga bored to a 12ga so it's heavy and awkard but it seems that the one that everyone points to. I've had it in my hands, to funky and heavy for me, but it's priced right at about $250.

Curious to see what other feed back you get here because I'll be making my decision pretty quick myself. The only difference is I've got a chance at an 1187 brand new with a monte carlo stock, R3 pad, and fully rifled barrel for $680 that I have to decide on in 2 weeks. Hard to pass that up.

Offline soggy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 12:38:27 AM »
Thanks Deerhunter

I guess you are referring to the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. That is another option as well. I can get the non-laminated model for under $200.  The H&R I was referring to oringinally was their autoloader, which I understand is a Verona re-labelled. Interesting feedback on the Savage though - not sure I want to be limited to the 3" slugs all time.

Cheers,
Soggy.

Offline usmc2111

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 06:21:34 AM »
Either the H&R USH or a Rem 870. These are the most accurate from what I've read.

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »
if it was me I would go with the H&R but its your choice.  For the scope you should look at Mueller.

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:22:09 PM »
Which ever one you buy...Dont cheat yourself on a scope....Some of these guns are brutal to shoot....Go with a good scope with a good name...and a good warranty.....And hang on tight....

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 03:13:30 AM »
I own the deerslayer 20, savage 210 in 12 both shoot great with hornady sst's. I like the ithaca it kicks alot less andit shoots flatter.
squeeze it, don't pull it!!!!