Author Topic: Something recalled  (Read 262 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Something recalled
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:28:35 AM »
I thought I'd relate a story from my youth. Some may find it amusing.

My best friend's father employed an Arab in his cabinet shop years ago, which made the Arab a bit of an outsider with the other workers, who were mostly Cuban. Pork is the most popular meat among Cubans, but the Arab didn't fully appreciate this fact. At lunch times the Cubans shared their food with the Arab, who asked whether there was pork in the food. He was always assured that there was no pork. Knowing that moslems should not eat pork, this nevertheless got to be a prankish game with the Cubans who would bring extra pork or ham croquettes, pork pastries, and other foods in which the pork was a major component but was also disguised by seasoning and preparation. The Arab was quite happy with this and always commented about how delicious these pork foods were.
Safety first

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Something recalled
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 05:26:14 PM »
Reminds me of when my wife and I got reassigned from Alaska to New Mexico.  We arrived just before thanksgiving.  For the usual Thanksgiving party we decided, (with encouragement from several of the older women I worked with) to make our dishes from game meat.  These ladies had never had Moose, and claimed to not have had venison in several years.  When I brought the dishes in I required that the dishes be marked appropriately so no one would unknowingly eat something they would not want to eat.  One of my co-workers, Connie, ,made signs for "Bullwinkle Stew"  "Bambi Roast"  "Diamond Slivers".  Well as most of you can figure out that meant Moose stew, Mule Deer roast, Diamond Back Rattlesnake fried and the meat torn from the bones into slivers.  These two young women "Yuppie Types" really went after all the meat dishes.  They just raved about the stew, and those spicy slivers.  Finally one of them asked where I bought my meat.  I told them it was game meat, they said "No, it taste too good to be game meat.  Don't try and tease us where did you buy it?"  Finally one of the elderly women there leaned forward and looking them in the eye asked, "Can't you girls tell the difference between venison and beef?  And those spicy chicken slivers you like so much ain't chicken, it's good ole Rattlesnake!"  Those girls grabbed their mouths and ran from the building.  They refused to speak to me for the next three years.  Oh well I somehow survived with out their attention.  The elderly women were always inviting the wife and I out to their homes.  They never got tired of talking about those two young ladies.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.