Author Topic: odd 223 happening  (Read 755 times)

Offline indydave

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
odd 223 happening
« on: March 02, 2008, 02:52:52 PM »
finished my chamber polish and was functioning checking my 223 barrel with some sized primer only empty cases   and they STUCK     had to get cleaning rod out   odd   did it 3 times in a row opened action and viola! case was flush with the breech!!!!!   hopefully does not do that with live rounds     i dunno what to think  no apparent primer set-back either      ideas???????

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: odd 223 happening
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »
Did you FL resize?

Mc

Offline indydave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 03:13:29 PM »
yes  and this was primer ONLY   no powder no projectile!!!!!!!!!  pushed in flush when i loaded it in the breech

Offline jdwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 03:29:58 PM »
finished my chamber polish and was functioning checking my 223 barrel with some sized primer only empty cases   and they STUCK     had to get cleaning rod out   odd   did it 3 times in a row opened action and viola! case was flush with the breech!!!!!   hopefully does not do that with live rounds     i dunno what to think  no apparent primer set-back either      ideas???????
I'd do one of two things. Have a gunsmith convert the ejector to an extractor or trade the gun in on a newer model that has an extractor.
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline indydave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 03:34:11 PM »
well i just got it back less than a month ago from being fitted at h&r  it has a cam in the underlug   i am quite confused i thought all late barrels were extractors

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 04:03:13 PM »
Is the extractor claw coming out of the underlug when you open the action? Does it catch the rim or miss it if it is? May be the wrong extractor or maybe they put an ejector claw in it accidently, it's too short to work with an extractor cam, but you can put a short spring ahead of the ejector claw and make a hybrid ejector/extractor out of it as shown in the conversion info in the FAQs.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline indydave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »
when i open it   it comes out    odd    but when i fired the primer only  case   it did not   odd

Offline indydave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 04:11:37 PM »
oh and catches the rim

Offline indydave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 04:13:09 PM »
ok i looked where is there a hybrid extractor conversion listed?????

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 04:20:55 PM »
See  Extractor to Ejector conversion, it's a couple topics below the 2nd generation underlug pic.

If the extractor claw works in and out of the underlug when you open and close the barrel, it must be missing the rim.

A properly functioning extractor has a lot of force on the spent case, I loaded some 440gr CP bullets for the 500S&W, apparently got some bullet lube on the outside of a case, it stuck in the chamber, with normal opening force the action wouldn't open, so I broke it over my knee and it forced the case out to the end of the travel, then I had to use pliers to get it completely out of the chamber. So I know it has plenty of force to extract a stuck case if it's working right, it's either gonna rip the rim off, or it ain't gonna open. Could be a broken roll pin on the cam. Just about any way ya look at it, unless you want to fix it yourself, sounds like it'll need to go back to H&R for repair.  :-\

Tim

Offline indydave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 04:42:59 PM »
oops i meant it goes in and out as i open the action empty     LOL    it was grabbing the rim   maybe i just did not open far enough?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 05:01:59 PM »
It's possible it's missing the leaf spring which might allow the extractor to slip out below the rim, although I didn't use the leaf spring on my conversion and it still worked. But it may be applicable to just the 223 chambering. Can you see the leaf spring at the rear of the slot in the bottom of the underlug? You can slide it to the rear with a screwdriver tip, it's blued spring steel. If the spring is missing, call H&R and have em send one to ya, you can knock the rear pin out and install it real easy. ;)

Tim