Author Topic: What do you think of Super Sniper scopes?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
What do you think of Super Sniper scopes?
« on: January 15, 2008, 04:30:16 PM »
I was wondering what you guys think of the fixed power Super Sniper scopes. I am thinking of putting this fixed  power 20X42 on my Remington 243 Varmint SPS. http://www.swfa.com/pc-4307-231-super-sniper-20x42-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx   I do a lot of groundhog hunting and shots past 300 yards are common. This scope has the Mill dot reticle. I was wondering how this would work on a fix 20 power though? Mill dot scopes are normaly set up to be used at 10 power. Do you think a Mill dot chart will work for a 20 power fixed scope? Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: What do you think of Super Sniper scopes?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 03:51:43 PM »
I've never owned one, but I've heard a lot of good about the Super Sniper scopes.  As to the Mil Dot reticle, it can be set up to work at any magnification, so no worries there.  Any Mil Dot chart / calculation table or formula will work fine.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 04:10:18 AM »
I always thought that mill dot reticle's worked at the 10 power setting. This is why I ask if a mill dot calculator would work at 20 power. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »
Mil Dot reticles can work at any power, it's just that the US military tends to favor 10x fixed-power scopes.  Any fixed power scope (regardless of magnification) with a Mil Dot will work exactly the same as any other as far as the Mil Dot is concerned, assuming the manufacturer didn't really screw it up (and Super Sniper scopes have a good rep, so shouldn't be a problem).  10x, 20x, whatever, it will just work.

Variable power scopes are a different matter.  Most variable scopes sold in the US have the reticle in the 2nd focal plane, so the reticle stays the same size through the entire magnification range.  That means that a Mil Dot reticle in one of these scopes would work at one and only one power setting, usually (but not always) the max power setting for the scope.  Many scopes sold in Europe have the reticle in the 1st focal plane, so the reticle appears to grow and shrink as the power setting is changed.  A Mil Dot reticle in one of these scopes will work at any power setting. 

Hope this helps.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 05:42:16 PM »
I have been to a couple other web sites with this same question. They also hold Super Sniper scopes in high reguards. I might just give it a try. Dale

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 09:08:21 AM »
I used to have one a semi-custom Savage 10FP in .308, back when I had more time to play the long range game.  I thought that it was a hell of a deal, honestly.  The finish on the scope is superb, and the glass is definitely fabulous too.  I had the 10x with the rear parallax adjustment.  It's a stout thing, I swear, I think that I could have driven nails in a 2x4 with it, and not damage the scope.  I'd recommend it to anyone.  Lots of the local police departments use them, as the SWAT teams are basically self-funded.  Most officers around here don't have enough discretionary income to hack out a grand or more for a scope.  Unless money was no object, I'd take the SS every time, as I can get a decent heavy barrel rifle and scope it with a SS for about the same amount of money as a Leupold Tactical.  The 20x is too much for me, I'd look at the 10x or 16x.  I've noticed that I can't shoot any better with a scope that has 20x or more than I do with a 10x-14x top end.  But that's me.  And I don't do a lot of varmint hunting for things like P-dogs or groundhogs.

Offline razorbuc

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 01:42:17 AM »
Dale,I have a SS on an AR15 for two years.At first I ran all the tests,moving the groups around the target with the knobs..etc..and it easily did what it was supposed to do,returning to dead on every time.

Then I dialed it in at 600 yards at the local gun range.That was two years ago,and I haven't had to touch the turrets since.(kind of boring,almost :))

Mine is the side focus 10x.At first I was sort of hesitant at the low magnification,but have gotten used to it.At six hundred yards,my AR will consistently hit clay pigeons laying on a berm,all day long,if the wind isn't blowing.(Not bragging,just saying the scope is nails.)

(I love the looks of the SS....and things like the etched cross hairs...the guarantee to seal at 30 ft under water......plus,3-400 bucks isn't bad for a good scope these days.)

Not sure about the mildot thingy..sorry.

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 03:18:51 AM »
You already know what what I think of them my friend. Just be done with it and order one, you will not regret it. It will get boring though because once it's dialed in, you'll never have to mess with it again. Drop it, kick it, throw it around, you won't hurt it. Just remember, 2 much power can complicate things. If people can use 10x out to 1,000, surely we can use them comfortably out to 3 or 400 :) 16x might be the best route to take in this situation. That's a lot of zoom for 200-300 yards. I notice that I start feeling uncomfortable with a 10X when I get to 500 but that's just because I'm not accustomed to it.

Here is the 10x rear focus on the VLS..the thing is a beast! I like the Burris Xtreme Tactical mounts so I may get another set and remove the Leupold standard stuff that you see holding the Super Sniper in place in the following pic you've seen 100 times  :D

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 06:52:47 AM »
I have decided I am going with the Super Sniper 16x42. I think the 20 power would be to much. Great looking setup you have there. Is that a 308 or a 243? Dale

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 07:03:56 AM »
Sniper - I feel the same way you do about the high powered scopes. I feel that I do not need them. I have bought and still have 20X + powered scopes, but I find I turn them down to 10X when I am in the field. For years I used a straight 10X Bushnell Banner with BDC on a Remington 700 VS. I have shot tiny black birds at 250 yards with it, and never felt I needed a higher power. I just seem to hit small targets easier with 10X than I can with 20X. I start trying to get the cross hairs on the target and I see movement, I try harder to hold it still and I just keep getting worse so I then try to pull the trigger as I am moving back and forth across the target. I do not notice this as much with 10X or lower. If I am on a very steady rest, then I can shoot the higher powers with confidence. I just can not find shooting of a bi-pod steady enough. For my 22 walking guns, I use a 2.5X or a 4X on for the same reason.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 07:09:16 AM »
.308, all my 700s are .308's thus far.

Congrats on deciding, you won't regret your decision. Chris and the people @ SWFA will take good care of you. Lately they've had a lot of items I've wanted on back order but their customer service is top notch.

LaOtto222...

I feel 10X is the perfect zoom, I've had 18's, 20's and 24's and the shaking just irritates me and my shooting is hindered by it. You don't still have that VS do ya? One sweet rifle my friend, I passed one up 2 years back and wish I nabbed it. Could have gotten it for 600.00 like new! I never said I wasn't a fool, LOL

-Aaron-

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 10:49:08 AM »
I do still have the VS, it was a 222, but have rebarreled it to 221 Fireball. Since I did the conversion, I still have the old barrel, in case I want to switch it back. I bought it back in the 80's, white line spacers, checkered walnut, high gloss shine, it is beautiful. I hang on to my guns now. I traded a 222 Remington 788 for the VS and have kicked myself ever since. I would like to get another one in 222, 30-30 and 44 mag. That 788 was the sweetest shooting gun for it's weight...not nearly as good looking as the BDL VS, but less finicky about what shoots good in it, every thing shot good in it. Still keeping the 700 BDL VS, it brings back too many fond memories.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline LHitchcox

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 12:23:44 PM »
I just spotted this thread and was gonna try to talk you down to a 10 or 16 power, but I see that you have already decided on your own to go with a 16x. I wouldn't want more than that in a fixed power. My highest magnification fixed power was a 16x Redfield and I found I lost the last 15-20 minutes of evening light  at that power. Mirage can be a problem even with 16x. I find that I do most of my shooting at 12-14 power regardless of the top magnification on my scopes.

Leon

Offline ba_50

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 01:07:04 AM »
Dale,

Lets us know what you think of the 16X. I'm hoping they will have the variable out by Spring.

How is the accuracy with your SPSV? I'm am looking at the LH .243 coming out. Does it have a rusting problem when wet? Thanks. Bob