Author Topic: H&R Ultra Varmint .243  (Read 503 times)

Offline Willie496

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R Ultra Varmint .243
« on: February 16, 2008, 02:43:08 PM »
I know this topic is old news. We shot the range today @100yds  best we could do 1.5" shooting from the rest with a bag just forward of the trigger.
HSM 75 Grain V-Max, 14mph crosswind, 39 degrees.
 After we finished at the bench we did some prone shooting with a Harris bi-pod @ 200 yards 3x9-40.  shooting 1/2 gallon OJ containers filled with water very pleased with the results. I think this is as good as it is going to get until the barrel gets about 100 more rounds, and the shooter gets a better feel for the gun. Your thoughts are welcome.
Willie

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R Ultra Varmint .243
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 02:58:36 PM »
How's the trigger? You might try some lighter bullets too. Of course, they usually do get better as the barrel breaks in, you can speed that up a little between range trips with the bore polishing process with flitz or JB as mentioned in the FAQs.  ;)  Or just have fun shooting it, but with the cost of ammo now, that's not always the best solution.  :-\
Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Willie496

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 03:58:55 PM »

The trigger is not to bad I am sure someone could make it lighter. As far lighter bullets? A savage owner told me at the range this is a close as you will get with this gun. He is not an H&R salesman..
Lighter than a 75 will make it worse in his words. He thinks a 100 or larger would be better. I do not have enough time in the chow line to talk rate of twist and grains size yet!!!
I will get a lighter grain and give it a try. I was just enjoying the nice weather and shooting with my son. The bottom line...........? This is a great gun, fair price, and my first ever rifle larger that a 22lr.
Willie.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 04:40:03 PM »
You can go either way actually, they'll sometimes show a preference for one or the other, but others shoot both equally well, Mitchell's shoots the 55gr and 95gr Balliistic Silvertips well under an inch, I have three H&R 243s, two like 95-100gr Federal Fusion and Powershoks and the other seems to like 80gr Rems so far, but it hasn't seen much ammo yet, so time will tell. Try the Federals, they're about as cheap as you'll find, so they're easier on the pocket book!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Willie496

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 04:57:22 PM »
I will try the 95-100 federals. Thanks for the information.
Willie.