Author Topic: H&R CR-45LC - pros and cons?  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Owlnmole

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R CR-45LC - pros and cons?
« on: February 17, 2008, 01:51:28 AM »
Hi, I am new to the group though long a fan of the H&R single shots.

I am thinking of getting one of the CR-45LC carbines in .45 Long Colt, as I love the old-time look without being a replica of anything in particular. My wife and I have been looking at houses in Vermont, and it would make a great general-purpose farm rifle.

It would be a great toy, especially if, as I have long threatened, I get into reloading. Even without making my own, LRN cowboy loads are pretty cheap and there are some hot 45LC (Buffalo Bore comes to mind) that would make it a potent, short-range deer gun if I want to go down that road.

I did look through the archives here, I have yet to see a detailed range report on this particular version though I have seen reviews of the .38-55 and .45-70 long-barreled ones. Anyone have any experience owning or shooting one, or anyone able to point me to a magazine review?

Thanks and regards,

Matthew

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
Re: H&R CR-45LC - pros and cons?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 02:11:48 AM »
Welcome
The little 45 is a neat little rifle I plan on getting one. The only thing I would change is the barrel contour. I would prefer it more like a standard Handi Rifle. I plan to open it up to 454Casul. for a little extra punch. another option is a new 44mag Handi off the shelf ammo is generally easier to find. But for a 45Colt  Reloading is the way to go I don't own a 44mag and feed 2 45colt  a Ruger BH and a 94AE Trapper you can use the TC/Ruger Blackhawk loads  Get it you'll love it

Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline goldhound56

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 04:04:43 AM »
 I got one in Jan. It is the best thing i've bought for myself in along time .  I have had 5 neck & back surgery's ,I can take it out and shoot it 10-12 times and feel no pain ! I'm looking to put a vintage style scope on it ( for looks ) . It's small & light ,I think you would enjoy having it around the farm !! I have not been to the range with it so I can't help you there , but after shooting this gun I think it will do well at the range .

Thanks Kenny

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 05:48:01 AM »
Welcome aboard Matthew!! ;) There have been several 45 Colt range reports, Grampa Mike's are in the FAQs and Help sticky, use the search function, it's easy to use.  Here's a couple of my range reports.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=search

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,118881.msg1098392036.html#msg1098392036

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,124487.msg1098436387.html#msg1098436387
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 45LCshoooter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 04:48:56 PM »
Wow! This is my first time back in ages...just back on-line at home this month. Drifted over to the H&R 1871 site looking around and saw the new chambering: i knew this would be the first place to go to learn more. I have a Bisley stainless and a Trapper, this would be the perfect companion if it works out right.

45 Colt's have a bit of a small rim...but the .444 has the same, so i am guessing that your extractor problem was a fluke?

Welcome aboard, Matthew...it's good to be back.
All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 05:07:59 PM »
45 Colt's have a bit of a small rim...but the .444 has the same, so i am guessing that your extractor problem was a fluke?

If you're referring to the defective extractor on the 45 Colt Carbine, it's been reported on a few of em, not just mine which was one of the first made, hopefully H&R has fixed it since no one has reported it recently, they do have eyes/ears on this forum, ya know. ;) The .444 extractor was never a problem, they just cut the Colt extractor post a tad too long, it was easily fixed with a touch of the dremel.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain