Author Topic: wyoming mule deer Region H  (Read 1854 times)

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
wyoming mule deer Region H
« on: September 05, 2003, 08:18:36 AM »
Booking the right hunt is very important.One must first take consideration in the way you want to hunt.That is,do you want to walk,ride in a 4x4 or sit on a horse.?
I booked a hunt with an outfitter from the Pinedale area,his name I will keep annonamous.This hunt was in high country so,obviously we needed to ride horses.That much I handled with some difficulty,since I'm and eastern tenderfoot.
The food was horrible,we slept on army cotts in our own sleeping bags.We stayed in cabin tents for 3 nights,then moved to a spike camp for two nights and pitched a tent and slept on the ground.
There were 5 hunters in camp counting myself,no-one took home any game,and I was the only hunter to take a shot at a 3x3,which was approx 180yds away,but missed.Very little game was seen in this 5 day hunt.The weather was also warm.
The cost for the outfitter alone was 2300.00 per hunter.When I contemplated how much it was costing me each day for these conditions,I swore this would be my last trip like this one!!
To top this off there were no portable showers as promised, and had to go without a shower for 6 days.
Hey,I'm 55 years old ,and maybe a person should be younger for this kind of trip or just want to "rough it".Not Me.
I am planning a trip this year,the cost about 1000.00 dollars w/license.I'll be staying in a hotel with a swimming pool,restaurant,hot tub,jaccuzzi,and a soft bed.I can still get up early and be out before dawn and hunt as hard as I please and hopfully I'll be more successfull.
BTW the scenery was fantastic but thats about all that I enjoyed.

Offline Jim n Iowa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Wyoming Hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 03:07:10 PM »
I have hunted wyo for deer, antelope in the north central area. Many years ago, you just needed to hook up with the local VFW and get aquainted. So now things change. I will go back for a Antelope hunt probably cost +250 for license and treaspass fees. my point is you don't really need a guide unless you want a wall hanger, or you are very shy.
Want meat ? I mean corn feed prime deer. Come to Iowa. Check out Iowa white tails on google. Sorry you had this ex. I am a native and we do have great guides and services, but Its like every where else a newbe comes in and makes like a native.

Jim