Author Topic: Snub Nose  (Read 1400 times)

Offline rocky_taco

• Trade Count: (0)
Snub Nose
« on: February 03, 2008, 07:35:29 AM »
I'm very interested in a snub nose revolver.  I was really thinking about the S&W Centennial, but am starting to lean toward the Ruger SP101.  I guess because it doesn't have an integral lock, MIM parts, and is a little heavier and probably easier to shoot hot loads.  I'm interested in the SP101 with Crimson trace grips.  I'm having a hard time deciding between the DAO and the regular SP101.   Is there enough advantage to the spur-less hammer to justify the DAO? 

Offline rockbilly

Re: Snub Nose
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:46:28 AM »
I have Stubbies in both a Model 60-9 and a Model 649, both are .357 and equipped with Crimson Trace grips.  I highly recommend either gun for a concealed carry weapon.  I have popped a lot of caps in the Model 60, it has been my "Snake gun" for many years.  I usually shoot .38 shot shells for snakes, but have shot a lot of hot .38s and .357s in the gun too.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:09:07 AM »
I have the .357 SP-101 in 3" barrel with aftermarket Crimson trace grips and like it alot. I think the Ruger is a sturdier gun and also heavier. As to DAO, I'm undecided. For strictly defensive shooting I would go that way, if you fire only double action then the hammer is just something to snag on clothing but if you ever feel the need of precision it is nice to have the single action option, you pays yer money and takes yer choice.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 01:36:52 PM »
I like both the DAO and the DA. I think if you practice enough in DA you can get reasonably good. Hard to imagine needing to make a precision shot that would require a single acton trigger in a snubbie. If I were going to carry one, I'd go for the shrouded hammer.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline IMshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 03:09:18 PM »
Try finding a Colt Detective Special.  They really shoot good, are small, and hold six rounds instead of five.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 03:37:03 PM »
I have and use both a Charter Arms 38 Spec in two inch and the Ruger SP101 in 3 1/16.IMHO the ruger is byu far the  better weapon .I carry mine on a Don Hume IWBH  with a good belt it is hardly noticeable.
When I carry the CA it is in a right front pocket holster.  HTH  Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline RBishop

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:38:48 AM »
I like Colt's for the reason already mentioned-6 shots. They made several snub nose revolvers-Detective Special, Cobra, and Agent to name just three. I prefer the Cobra or Agent because they both have an alloy frame which makes them lighter than the steel framed Detective Special. They all three conceal very well and are a pleasure to carry.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 03:36:23 PM »
rocky taco:  my personal preference is for the Smith and Wesson j-frame snubnose revolvers.  The Ruger is a sturdy chunk of gun, certainly, but the S&Ws are reliable.  The newer S&Ws are +P rated -- even the older ones have been shown to hold up to extensive +P testing but the newer ones show a +P indicator.  That means the revolver is as strong as you need it.

I would not recommend the 357 caliber.  I leave that for hunting big game.  The 38 Special is all you would really want in a snubbie.  I don't use high speed hollow-points, I use slow moving heavy chunks of hard cast lead.  I don't use a +P load, I just use heavy slugs.  My preferred load is a Winchester powder charge under a 200 gn semiwadcutter. 

I would also not recommend a hammerless revolver or one of the dao varieities; they are really for those folks who know how to use a snubbie in a defensive role.  I like a hammer to cock but I also like the concealment offered by a hammerless revolver, so I chose the S&W Model 38, the Airweight Bodyguard or its cousin the 638.  The Bodygurad is the j-frame with the 'humpback' appearance which allows it easy to draw from a pocket but also gives you access to the hammer for either single or double action shooting. 

HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 07:56:09 AM »
I firmly believe my Model 66 snubby is just the cat's meow for up close and personal serious social situations. Six rounds of hot .357 JHP tends to be a prescription for discouraging those who'd want to harm me and mine. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 07:59:01 PM »
The above advice is all sound..it kinda comes down to how concealable you want it to be, and how powerful you want it to be. I just bought a SW 442 finally......drops in my pocket, lighter than air, loaded with the hot modern stuff its fine  for its intended purpose. Anything else those .357s are the ticket but you pay for it in weight and recoil.

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 06:35:51 PM »
I've carried around a Charter for years and finally bought a SP101 2" in 357 at Christmas. Both guns are plenty accurate. I took a shot with my Charter in November at some turtles in a river at about 40 yards and actually got within 8 inches, and used it in April to take the head off a rattler with 158gr lead ball. I took the Ruger to the range last month and easily put all 5 into the head of a standard silhouette at 25 yards, one handed, SA, with Rem 158gr 357 sjhp. So I wouldn't undersell the accuracy part. (I can do the same with the Charter using 38's) But full house 357's do sting a bit. 110gr sjhp's in 357 were really smooth in the Ruger. I still want to try some 125's.

I do like the DA in the Ruger, it's almost two stage and I can shoot it fairly well in DA, I like it better than the DA on my father's S&W M19, the DA on my Charter, and the DA on my P85 (which is long). If it were self-defense only, DAO would be cool, but I kind of want one gun to carry everywhere, so I want the DA/SA option. The Ruger is heavy, not as heavy as my 1911, so I didn't mind the trade-off, but it's not a 16oz gun like the Charter either.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 09:21:49 PM »
My wife has been carrying the 3" SP101 for about 14 years now. It's a fine shootin gun, even with .357s. The weight really helps out. The S&W J frames are NOT fun to shoot with the magnum loads. I do have a 638 Airweight, the cousin of the Centennial, and it is great with .38+P loads. It rides well in a pants pocket which is not something you would want to do with the Ruger. They both have their advantages. For holster carry, the Ruger. It is easier to shoot, and handles anything from .38 to .357 without punishing you. The Centennial will be a great pocket gun, but your firepower is more limited. It will have a better trigger than the Ruger.

As for the Crimson Trace grips, my wife put them on her SP101 about three years ago. She loves them at the range, but usually forgets about them. I think in a crisis situation she would forget to turn them on. I adjusted them for Winchester 110-gr. .357 magnums. That is an easy recoiling load for small .357 snubbies. I've started using them in my 2.5 & 3" K frames, too.

The Colt Detective Special has been suggested. It's a great little gun, and I wish I had one, but they are rarely found in the marketplace these days, and the price folks are asking for them is pretty darn steep. You will pay a lot more for the used Colt than you will a new Ruger or S&W.

The SP101 and the S&W are both fine guns, and you cannot go wrong with either. Let us know what you decide on.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Swede1896

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 06:59:37 AM »
I just purchased a Smith and Wesson 640 357 magnum and love it.  I had looked at the model 60 also, but the concealed hammer is much easier to pull out of your pocket without snagging on anything.  I had a Colt SV-IV in 38 special.  The double action pull was a dream, but was just a little to big to fit in my pockets.  The 125 gr. jacketed HP .357 Magnum does really kick in a 23 ounce gun, but the .38 Special +P are very comfortable to shoot.  I have large hands, so the gun slides back from the magnum recoil because the grips are a little small.  I would still definitely recommend the Smith and Wesson 640.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 03:07:39 PM »
Ummmm, I hope I'm right about this but for you folks who like the S&W j-frames but don't want to deal with the exposed hammer I believe there is a hammer with a smaller tang, or whatever it is called - it's the part of the hammer you place your thumb on to cock it back.  Or possibly it is a dao hammer - I just can't remember.  I'm hoping this might be a viable option for someone.  Mikey.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 12:17:14 AM »
Not sure what you're eluding to Mikey but the 38/638/etc has a shroud over a normal exposed hammer so you can cock and fire it single action as well as double action. I have one as one of my routine concealed carry guns mine is the 638. They also make the 42/442/642 which is like the original Centenial gun which has an internal reduced size hammer and is completely covered and cannot be fired single action but is a DA only gun.

I don't currently have one but have owned a few over the years and sure wish I'd kept that last 442 I had as it had a really nice action and was quite accurate to boot. I came close to coming home with another the other day but elected to get a 637 instead as it's a house gun not a carry gun and the exposed hammer is a good feature not a bad one in my opinion for the duty I'll be putting it to.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 02:13:42 AM »
IMO !
The exposed hammer is a better option for almost any use except carrying concealed in a pocket. I can even say that for Auto loaders.
There are a number of hammers that are OK for this type concealment but the hammer of any kind is a drawback too this type concealment.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 06:50:13 AM »
Yupper that's why the S&W guns with the 42 and 38 on the end of their model designations are so popular. I really do like the Centenial type aka 42s for pocket carry as they are completely enclosed so pocket lint can't get down into them like it does on guns with exposed hammers. Still I also like the option of being able to shoot it single action should the need for a more carefully aimed shot be needed. My 638 seems the best over all compromise for pocket carry to me for that reason. It rides in one of my pockets very often.

I like a vest with pocket that holds it hidden and when in situations that could most easily present a need to employ it you can put hand into pocket holding it ready for immediate action if needed with no one aware you are even carrying much less carrying it in hand ready for immediate use. Since the hammer is shrouded it could be fired from inside the pocket should time or stealth be a needed factor.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 04:47:55 PM »
GB.........shooting from your pocket, you is a little sneaky ain't ya?

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 09:28:38 PM »
RB
You brought back a memory.
YEARRRRRRS ago--my wife of the time (still my present wife) had a couple of semesters til she finished her degree. I was out of Sam Houston State in Huntsville and it seemed more prudent for her to finish than to transfer to another school so I got a job at the Prison.
This was back in the old row tender days--if that needs explanation I will provide.
Anywho, I had a row tender who fell from Ft Worth on a murder charge.
I ask him one day what the circumstances were and he said it was over a pool game---it is always over a pool game.
I digress.
He said the issue was decided when the old boy with whom he had the disagreement tried to take his gun out of his pocket. The row tender said he just leaned on the table and the father back he leaned the higher the hits got.
You just know both of them had their CCW .
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD