Author Topic: Handgun for wife  (Read 1663 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Handgun for wife
« on: December 18, 2008, 03:02:41 PM »
My long suffering (with me for a husband) wife feels more secure with one of my handguns on her nightstand when I'm off hunting for the weekend.  She has shot with me before, not recently, and has her own SAA 45 Colt.  At one time she was talking about trying CAS, but we never got around to that.  She has however been after me to set up a range in our basement so she can shoot practice bullets at home.

Unfortunately she now has rheumatoid arthritis.  Seeing how swollen and painful her hands get, I got to wondering if she could even shoot a pistol anymore.  Tonight I gave her my daily CCW, a S&W M49, to see if she could pull the trigger.  She can't.

Maybe with practice she will be able to, then I can consider how she deals with recoil.  Just for information, I've got a number of handguns, single action, double action, SA & DA autoloaders in calibers ranging from 22 LR to 44 mag. and I wouldn't be adverse to getting something else just for her.  Personally, being old fashioned, I prefer revolvers for self defense, but...

Anyone have any ideas?
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Handgun for wife
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 05:03:39 PM »
You could get her a Taurus that way she couldn't shoot you with it.  :o

Serially tho how bout a Glock. They can be had with pretty darn light trigger pull and if you load it up for her all she has to do is pull the trigger until it's empty. My wife shoots a Glock better than revolvers.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline tonygrz

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 06:47:36 PM »
My wife prefers two guns.  The first being the S&W M36 with the older wooden grips.  And she likes a Hi-Point in 9MM.  She shoots both guns very well.  For someone with painful fingers I would consider the S&W 36 and teaching her how to shoot it single action - hammer back, pull trigger.  With the HI-Point, you could just leave a round in the chamber and put the safety on.  All she has to do is take the safety off and pull the rather light trigger.

Just my quarter's worth -

Tony Garza
Life is great, don't screw it up with WORK !!!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 01:09:27 AM »
You could get her a Taurus that way she couldn't shoot you with it.  :o

Bill ol' pal, Do you have any idea how much enjoyment you have gotten out of me buying that Taurus?   :D

how bout a Glock.

Now there's an idea!   :o  I've never shot one, always thought they look like a brick.  But a lot of people I know have them and everbody who does loves 'em!  As I remember, they are always cocked and locked aren't they?  Like you said, just pull the trigger?   ??? 

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 01:24:18 AM »
S&W M36 with the older wooden grips.

Thanks Tony.  My M49 is the 36 with a hammer shroud.  That's the one she didn't have enough strength to pull the trigger on.   :(  And, she also can't thumb back the hammer.  Which also excludes her SAA.  I tell you, that "arthur" is bad stuff.

And she likes a Hi-Point in 9MM.  a round in the chamber and put the safety on.  take the safety off and pull the rather light trigger.

You know, you'r right.  I'm not familiar with the Hi-Point, but that procedure would go for any SA autoloader.  :-\  I've got some in cals like 32 ACP, 7.62x25, 9mm & 45 ACP.  I ought to let her try those!  I didn't really consider that because I've always had an irrational aversion to the cocked and locked carry of a SA auto., but maybe...  :-\
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline S & W 642

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 02:51:32 AM »
Get her a Kel-tec sub 2000 it is in a 9mm or 40 cal. and it folds up to 16 inches and easy to shoot. She can hold it with both hands and point and shoot. Plus it is alot of fun to shoot.
Eph2:8-9

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 03:31:56 AM »
I am most sorry too learn of the illness.
You could just stay home---just kidding ;).
Can she cock a pistol of any type?
If she can, most reolvers or many semi-autos are the answer.
This is a most dibilitating disease, I wish you both the best, both with the disease and with finding a good weapon for her.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 03:46:49 AM »
A Hi-point with a light trigger :o You might want to look at an XD in 9mm in the subcompact or compact model, and have the trigger tuned to 2 lbs. (competition trigger) it would probably be just right for your wife.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 04:30:38 AM »
I may be mistaken but doesn't the Glock cock with the trigger pull?  If I'm correct is it going to be difficult to get a RELIABLE pistol if the trigger is really light?  The XD is cocked with the slide and just polishing trigger components gives a sense of a light pull while still maintaining a safe reliable trigger.  The thing that I like best about the XD may also be to your wife's advantage, the grip is much like the Browning HiPower, the contours of the grip do much for reducing the felt recoil.  I admit, I've only gotten to play with two Glocks in my life, my first and my last,  I dislike them.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 04:34:43 AM »
Indeed I do Richard. I sure am glad you bought that thing just think how much fun I'd have missed if you didn't.  ;D

I tell you, that "arthur" is bad stuff.

Yeah tis. Me and Mrs. GB both got it bad but a different type than your wife has. Her next younger sister tho has the debilitaing type in her hands as your wife does. It is wicked nasty stuff to deal with for sure. My hands are getting more painful but I still have decent strength in them.

Faye shot my G19 very well and it seemed to fit her well. Glock makes them in three sizes so you should be able to find one that would fit her fine. Those lighter triggers on them make it easy on folks with hand problems as your wife has. They do be heavy tho.

The little Kel-Tecs might be worth considering as well. They are small and light and easy to carry. I guess I've never actually measured the trigger pull on any of mine so am not sure on that.

But the Glocks are always on safe and always ready to fire both. Light trigger pulls and they just never fail.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 05:43:31 AM »
have you considered a shotgun?  A 20 ga semi auto with lighter loads of #4's would be great.  She wouldn't have to reload, cock or anything else but pull the trigger.  Kick wouldn't be too bad.  After some recent research that came out I'd put on a short rifled barrel to take advantage of the spread induced by the rifling...

If it's a pistol and nothing else, I'd look into a 9mm 1911.  It can stay "cocked and locked", but there is still that pesky thumb safety and grip safety that she might have prob's with.

Okay, I got it... claymore mounted in the hall.  All she has to do is hit the switch...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 06:26:20 AM »

I would suggest a glock as well. Only lightening it a bit. The stock pull is 5.5 lbs but seems like much less with geometry. Not as light as a single action revolver but probably the best I've felt in a DA only. There are some cheap easy fixes for the good glock trigger to make it great.
First is a  3.5 Pound Connector (G35C). And then a wolf reduced power firing pin spring(WRPFPS). This will drop the pull to around 3 lb.
BTW the glock has a very short trigger stroke for a da.
Finish up with a good polishing of the sear and firing pin block with a dremel and it will break as cleanly as most custom 1911's. The two parts run less than $30 combined.
 For target you may already have a ruger mk2 or browning buckmark, both can come with an adjustable trigger. Or you could just get a conversion for the glock in 22. I'm sure you have a little k frame or the like in 22. She can wear a wrist brace or archery wrist protector and force the hammer onto it to cock. Since it sounds like she has the type that deters dexterity with the digits.
 For racking a slide teach her the push pull method. Instead of holding grip stationary and racking slide she can reduce effort by half. That may give her the ability to rack the slide in a way which is more comfortable. Such as charging hand on top instead of behind slide.

The xd is a good pistol as well, just not as many parts on the market yet. I'm still waiting on the 22 conversion that was supposed to be out last year. Maybe next year. It is a better design, just not as many configurations as the glock.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 07:39:17 AM »
Altlaw
with anytye of auto how would she clear a stove pipe or a fail to feed?? Mossberg makes a .410 pump with a pistol grip slide  with the 3piece buckshot load or  slugs it would be formital at house ranges  and easy for her to grip
IMHO
Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline Totenkopf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 08:02:57 AM »
 A little off topic but saw a drug commercial last night on arthritis. Claimed to slow joint damage and relieve pain. Said to go to the fancy name for an arthritis Dr., maybe rheumatologist or something like that.
You know what's sad, I speak seven languages and can read and write six of them. Can't even string sentences together or spell correctly in my own.

http://www.humira.com/RheumatoidArthritis/Default.aspx
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 10:35:44 AM »
I would try a glock 19 or a springfield xd both are great guns. I like the xd it has a beavertail safety like a 1911 if you can find a range close by that you may be able to rent the guns and try them i know there is a range i go to that does that like 5 or 10 bucks. Good luck

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
ATlLaw:  Forget it partner!  If the Lady cannot pull the trigger on a M49 because she suffers Rhuematoid Arthritus with swollen and painfull joints she is not going to be able to manipulate the controls (trigger, hammer, safeties) on pistols or revolvers.

She will however be able to manipulate the controls on a short barrelled pump gun of appropriate caliber - appropriate for her that is - and let's not forget that even a lowly .410 with Double O at close quarters is very effective.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 12:30:32 AM »
Mikey
Most of us here for awhile have come too realize that your opinion is worth more than 2 cents.
Why I would even go as high as a nickle. ;) :-*
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »
Thanks Bill, I appreciate that.  But ATlLaw - last night on one of the TV channels was one of those 'crime scene' police shows that involved, among other things, a suicide by 38 Spl revolver.  Upon autopsy they found the deceased had suffered from Rheumatoid Arthritus so badly he could not even have gotten his finger into the trigger guard, or had the strength to  have pulled the trigger. 

Larger controls such as those on a shotgun can be managed by people whose grip is affected by swollen and painful joints.  Try wrapping your trigger finger in adhesive tape and then getting it to pull a trigger, it is a good technique to see how someone whose hands are disabled do not work.  Mikey.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 04:49:37 AM »
I tell ya, there is such a wealth of good advice and well thought out opinions here!  It really humbles me and I appreciate everyone's input.   :)

I looked at a number of handguns and checked out a couple of indoor ranges last weekend.  I think the Missus and me are going to shoot up some of my TEOTWAWKI ammo stash with some of my handguns then rent some others that look interesting.

Another thing I hadn't thought of that was brought up is the clearing of a malfunction issue.  I'm afraid her condition will cause her to limp wrist an auto.  Maybe a shotgun won't be to far a stretch for her after all!   :D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 06:50:36 AM »
I would look into a medium frame 38 or 357 double action revolver.
Put over size target grips on it and possibly a target hammer.  I would look for the wood grips that have the back strap of the fram exposed.  These grips allow for the shortest trigger pull and the wide target grip helps to spread out recoil as well as fill the hand making less pressure needed to hold the revolver.  This may allow her to be able to squeeze through a double action.
The wide thumb patch on the target hammer makes it easier to cock the gun.  The DA revolver has less roll to it than does the standard SA revolver and with weakened hands making it easier to produce multiple shots.  The standard S&W design relies on the web of your thumb, your middle and ring finger to control the muzzle flip where a traditional SA like the Colt uses your pinkey to stop the roll.
An auto may be easier like an H&K USP that is able to be cocked and locked making the trigger pull light and can be had in 9mm that is really mild in recoil compared to the 45 or even 40 versions.  But the questions of is she strong enough to remove the safety and on the USP with out decocking the gun.  But that will just take some practice.
Also you have the slide to deal with if a round fails to feed and she may not have the strength in her hands to cycle the slide.
Not putting down the autos but the slide needs to travel back X far and if she is not a stable platform, she my move.
Let me put some numbers to it and maybe I can explain it better.
If the auto cycle recoil of 2 inches is what is needed to opperate the slide and she recoils 1 of those inches the slide will only move on the gun 1 inch but has moved the full 2 inches.  So the slide moves back on the frame 1 inch and the frame is allowed to move back 1 inch at the same time the slide has traveled the full 2 inches that the blowback was designed to do,  Causing either a Stove pipe, failure to eject, or failure to feed.  If you wife can hold the auto and shoot it than one of the Cock and Locked or short DAO guns like the H&K2000 may be the ticket.  The 2000 has a short double action in a small gun.  With the gun cocked the hammer will fall but nly takes a little pressure to pull it back and then you have your standard 3-5 pound trigger.
Have you thought of a 20 Auto shot gun?  Like a Charles Daily.  with the plastic stocks things can be bolted or even glued to the foreend like a light and with 5 rounds 7/8 of an ounce of bird shot she would be well armed with out the punishing recoil.   You can cut down the barrel to 18 -20 inches and add a fiber optic dot or sights.  You can work with her on the best way to reload or top off the mag.  The bolt release can be made bigger by either using some epoxy and gluing a quarter to it or drilling and tapping it and screwing a quarter to it.  That way shells can be droped into the open action and the heal of the hand can close the bolt.
With anything you pick she will not have to un load it.  If she wants to practice she has you to unload and reload and if she needs to use it the police coming to take the report and toe tag the bad guy will be able to unload it for her.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 07:57:49 AM »
It is a debilitating affliction, I can't fathom the distress it causes.
The weapon would have too remain loaded. Unlike many, that is not a bother or fear for me.
It would have too be easily cockable or easy trigger pull. I would think that easily cockable would be the most sure choice.
A very short weapon if a shotgun.
Maybe a slightly altered double barrel--.410 or such. Finding one with a hammer may be a bit of a problem. The safety should be easy too ease off though.
I think a double barrel would/should work fine. God knows, my worse nightmares are being in front of a shotgun.
Keep us posted.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 03:14:26 PM »
If there's no small kids in the house  a cruiser cocked pump with the safty left off. Pump Point Squeeze pump squeeze 10-8. there are no kids in my house( I'd sooner have a goat). mne mounted over the closet door (inside) out of site out of  mind
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline jeep08ham

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 03:31:21 PM »
I can really understand what you and your bride are going through.  My wife has had MS for about 30 years and we have had to go thru which gun works best for her strength and not bad on the recoil side so it would not hurt her joints.   We tried all kinds, The Glocks suck as they are light enough that the recoil hurt her hand, plus trigger pull was terrible.   After many tries, we settled on my XD 9 subcompact that I previously called my CCW gun.   It is something she handles extremely well and does not hurt her hand on recoil.   Also the trigger pull is just 2 pounds 4 ounces.   Now I am in the process of getting my own XD 9 Subcompact since she layed claim to mine.   Since I have never had a misfire of any kind and the XD shoots where you point it, I will buy another XD.

IMHO

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »
We went to the gunshow today and she got to handle a number of pistols.  She actually didn't like the subcompact Glocks, preferring the next larger size.  Safeties were a problem for her and she couldn't cock the .410;s we looked at.   :(

We're both getting a better...  uh, ...grip on the situation though.  ;D  A few range trips and we'll be able to make a rational decision...

Maybe my M1 Carbine will work in the interim?   ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »
A camp gun by Ruger?
I am sure you will find a solution.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD