Author Topic: Shotgun Barrel With Monte Carlo Stock  (Read 398 times)

Offline mardrobe

• Trade Count: (0)
Shotgun Barrel With Monte Carlo Stock
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:46:36 AM »
I want to have a shotgun barrel fitted to a Handi-Rifle with a Monte Carlo stock.  I see on the H&R website they recommend replacing the stock with a standard one.  Do you think this is really necessary?

Offline njanear

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • www.geocities.com/njanear13
Re: Shotgun Barrel With Monte Carlo Stock
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »
I just fitted a .30/30 barrel to my .280 frame and with the synthetic Monte Carlo stock, have a real hard time lining up the sights due to the stock (I am going to scope the .30/30 eventually).  I can only imagine what it would be like trying to go lower for the bead sight on a shotgun.
Njanear 
    12B/21B - Combat Engineer, the way to B           1985 - 1996 GaARNG
Atlanta, GA

Offline OHHJIMMY

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 02:11:50 PM »
I think you would have trouble with your eye being too high. I have a little trouble with the standard stock being too high. I would like it to be maybe 1/2" or so lower. You could try it and always buy the standard stock later. Tim could tell you what would work.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 02:57:44 PM »
I'm not much of a shotgun guy, but I think you'd need a low comb stock to shoot a shotgun properly with just a bead, I can use some monte carlo stocks with a WGRS peep sight and they work fine with a scope of course, but even the low comb stocks work for a scope and are preferred by some over a monte carlo. So unless you're gonna have sights or scope on the shotgun, get one of their low comb stocks while the barrel is being fitted, you can look at all the stocks in the "let's see some Handis" link in the FAQs, they're made in pallet wood, walnut, laminated and camo, some straight, some pistol gripped, checkered and uncheckered, lots to choose from.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 01:25:04 PM »
Most trouble is with stocks that are too low. People like to aim a shot gun like a rifle with the eye down to the e top of the barrel, this is wrong.our eye should be 3/8" above the barrel to have a clear view of the target. The beat is only used for reference and not used to aim.
You only look at the target swing and fire. If your eye is 1/2" above the barrel that is ok too as long as you don't aim and look at the beat.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 05:50:18 PM »
I may see the end of the barrel when swinging on a target, but I am not real aware of it. I look at the target with both eyes open, every thing just seems to go natural and I pull the trigger when it feels right. Some days I can not miss, and others I can struggle. One day I shot 4 out of 4 woodcock with my trusty 20 Gage SKB 100. I have had days when I can't seem to hit a rabbit running straight away. It may have to do with the fit of the gun due to clothing or it maybe I am just having a bad day. I think Fred has described it in more technical detail.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.