Author Topic: Need a whitetail gun.  (Read 750 times)

Offline ToadHill

• Trade Count: (0)
Need a whitetail gun.
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:13:02 PM »
I've been looking for a reasonably priced .308 for hunting deer.  The county my land is in now allows rifles to be used.  I've always hunted with a Ithica 12 gage but as I get older I'm not happy being kicked by that mule anymore.   I have looked at the Savage bolt action and am considering it, but I thought since I'm used to only getting one shot with my smoke pole why not try a single shot H&R.

I've never shot one and have no idea how accurate they are.  I can get the savage with a inexpensive Simmons scope for around $465 or the H&R with a midrange Bushnell for around $400.

I'd appreciate anything anyone can tell me about the H&R. 
I can't control my day, but I can control my attitude.

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
Re: Need a whitetail gun.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 05:30:44 PM »
How far are you shooting? Is it woods distance or bean fields. If your hunting woods I would say go with the 30-30 Handi ammo is available at every Wal-Mart and mom and pop store for less then .308win which means you can shoot it more with out breaking the bank. A 170grn Rem Cor-Lock makes for dead deer.
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline ToadHill

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 05:46:06 PM »
Most of my shots are from my stand which overlooks 2 open fields.  Distance can range from 75 to 250 yards depending which area the deer enter from.
I can't control my day, but I can control my attitude.

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 05:58:22 PM »
Ok in that case the .308win is a good choice. I pick up my .308 survivor on the 27th I will let you know how it shoots as soon as I can get it to the range.

Offline Moss88hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 06:18:09 PM »
I love my .308 survivor, but since there is no recoil padding it kicks like a mule. You can't beat the bull barrel though. It is as accurate as you could ask for. Many people that have this rifle put the handi rifle stocks on them. If I remember correctly you can get the stock from the factory for under 40 bucks, but you could probably swap with someone because it is a great stock for smaller calibers. I got mine at Bass Pro in Nashville for 279.99. Another option would be to get another caliber and have the bull barrel fitted to it. That gives you an excuse for two new rifles!
"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!"

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 06:30:43 PM »
I heard that the large slip on limb saver pads will fit on the survivor stock.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 04:41:08 AM »
The .308 handi would be a very good choice and the 7mm08 might even be a tad better. For tree stand hunting I think you'll like the short overall length of the handi better than the repeat shot ablity of the bolt gun.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline s_hawk

• If ya come, ya better come heavy!
    • Texas Punishment Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 05:27:26 AM »
I'd go with the .308 Survivor. I use Federal Vital Shock 165 gr. Sierra Game King. It will definitely get the job done at the ranges you've mentioned.
Hawk
Glory Lasts Forever

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 07:55:07 AM »
the 308 is a good choice, don't know about the survivor. I do know that the Mueller scope is hard to beat, as good or better than scope twice their price, JMO.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline canoe13

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »
Hello, I had the good fortune to have the same thing happen; after 25 years of hunting with a shotgun I could finally hunt with a rifle in my county this past season. I trade away a Ruger 10/22 for a Handi rifle in .243 hoping to use it for coyotes. So when the new rifle season came up I had not gotten the bolt action rifle I was planning to use.  I decide to take out the Handi and it was great ! So much lighter to carry and quicker to shoulder and way more fun to shoot at the range.  I got 2 deer this year and passed on a third one , too small. The first was a neck shot at 50 yards and the second was a shoulder shot at 70 yards. I never saw two deer drop dead so fast.  I picked up a Handi in 30-30 last week so my son can use the .243.  I do not find a single shot a disadvantage ; I have hunted with them  for years whether shotgun, handgun or muzzleloader.
Good Luck to you, Steve

Offline canoe13

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 04:06:16 PM »
Hey, I forgot to say I think .308 would be an excellent caliber or .270 is another good option. Plenty of power but perhaps a lighter recoil. My next Handi will probably  be a stainless .270.

Offline indydave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 05:15:08 PM »
25-06 flat powerful and easy    and its a factory  chambering     i want one!

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »
When I go south for Whitetail (Tennessee, and Texas) I take my 30-06 Handi.  The same one I use up here for Caribou.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline luv2shoot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 02:59:01 PM »
Hard to beat a .280 :D
If it Feels Good, Shoot it Again!!!!