Author Topic: Argentine FM brand of Hi-power P-35?  (Read 639 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Argentine FM brand of Hi-power P-35?
« on: February 19, 2008, 02:08:17 PM »
I saw 2 imitations of the Browning P-35 high power pistol, made in Argentina, with the brand of "FM" on the box at the last gun show.  The price was around $350.00 new in the box.

I have heard that the "Bersa" line is made in Argentina, and while inexpensive, they do work.  However, the steel is said to be soft.  This would be an ok gun if you wanted a cheap home defense pistol, that you would not shoot much.  Has anyone bought one of these Argentine P-35 guns, what did they think, and are they better in steel quality over the Bersa brand.  I might get one as a shooter, but if junky, why waste the money.

Thanks.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Argentine FM brand of Hi-power P-35?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 03:50:53 PM »
FN made HPs everywhere in the world!  An argentine HP is made from the belgian spec in a Fabrique National plant.  I'd buy one as a shooter.  I'd also bet it's better than any bersa.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:47:08 AM »
Chris D:  Those are Brownings, not imitations.  The P-35 was made in Argentina under contract with Browning.  I had one, it is/was great, would quickly jump on another if I saw one in the $350 price range.  There is nothing cheap about those P-35s or soft about their steel. 

Bersa - good little pistols in the 22, 32 and 380 caliber.  Not familiar with any in the 9mm caliber but would not hesitate to take a P-35 over a Bersa any day.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:56:52 AM »
This would be an ok gun if you wanted a cheap home defense pistol, that you would not shoot much.
why on earth would anyone want to rely on a cheap pistol to do the most important job that a pistol could be asked  to do??     this is one of those times when being frugal isnt in your best interest.   i am talking about the mentality, not the gun you mention;  because as mikey said....
There is nothing cheap about those P-35s or soft about their steel.

my point is if you are going to use a gun for protection,  you should be familiar with it and use it enough that you can have confidence in it.   

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 06:23:17 AM »
The reason I was comparing cheap guns to expensive guns is the value of their use.  It would not make sense to buy a Wilson 1911 to keep in a drawer just in case a crook broke in, even though Wilson makes nice guns that you can trust your life to.  A Bersa would be a better choice as it is lower cost and does work for home defense, it is not something I would shoot on a regular basis and expect it to hold up like a Wilson or a Springfield.

Also, in some places in the US, if you use a gun to shoot an intruder it can take some time to get your gun back after the police seize it for evidence, and they don't clean and care for it while it is in police custody.  Sad to risk a $2,500.00 Wilson to poor keeping, and not as bad for a $225.00 Bersa to your wallet. 

When I was at the last gun show, the FM Argentine pistols did not appear to get much customer notice, perhaps they were afraid of a large steel center fire pistol for only $350.00.  I will check into it further as I was thinking of getting it for occasional shooting as a historical gun, my CZ pistols are fantastic which I shoot more, and I prefer them over other makers anyways.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 07:33:07 AM »
i suppose it is all how one looks at it.  i think i understand what you are trying to say.  but i disagree with your mindset. 
     myself,  if my famiily's life was on the line, i'd take the wilson.   in that moment of truth, the last thing you want to hear is "click".   
   whatever you decide to do,  just use the weapon you choose enough that you know it works and works reliably.  dont put yourself in a bad situation.

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 08:15:23 AM »
Myroman3, I agree with you 100%, but you better watch out or the Hi-Point folks will get on your case. I had this discussion with them not long ago. They wanted to keep their Kimber locked up and carry a $200 Hi-Point. I don't get it.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 09:56:14 AM »
me either.  as a matter of fact,  my kimber is the go to gun in my house.   i have shot it alot and we work well together.     
    this reminds me of my dad using a bolt action j.c. higgens as a home defense weapon.  i told him it would work perfectly,  as anyone he confronted would suddenly find themselves helpless....with laughter.   he turned shades of red and had to laugh at that himself.   but at least he knew the higgens would go "BOOM!" instead of "click!".    i just cant see trusting ones most valued things to a cheap weapon. 

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 01:01:29 PM »
Chris

It depends on which model you are talking about with the FM model pistols.  The FMs have been made for a number of years.  One pistol is an exact copy of the Browning mil-spec pistol.  It has everything the Browning has, including the scalloped slide.  Then, you have the later version which is a "Browning" rendition.  The slide is not scalloped and it's a fraction heavier.  This is a later pistol.  The Browning copies are made of better steel, and I think they were discontinued in the 70s.  The later version has a reputation of having softer steels, but I have no experience with them.  A friend has one and he has experienced some difficulties with it, involving peening of the slide lug recesses where the barrel lugs mate.  He also had the barrel cam break.  To the gun's credit, the recoil spring he was using was way too light for the 9mm loads.  The peening may have been a result of issues concerning slide velocity from too light a recoil spring.

I have one of the FM Browning copies of a milspec P-35 pistol.  It shows no issues with soft metal.  The gun is mil-spec accurate and reliable.  I rather like it.  I bead blasted off that baked on finish, stipped the heck out of it and parkerized it. 

Dan