Author Topic: 12 Gauge Pardner Turkey vs. Standard Pardner 20 Gauge Recoil  (Read 990 times)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
12 Gauge Pardner Turkey vs. Standard Pardner 20 Gauge Recoil
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:59:49 AM »
Hi all,

I'd like to hear from any of you that have shot both. I know recoil is subjective but I'm interested in everyone's opinions
on the recoil difference between the two.

I currently own a 12 gauge Pardner Turkey with the extra full choke and due to a neck injury I'm considering downsizing to a 20 gauge Pardner. I've shot plenty of 3 and 3 1/2 magnums through it to know I should probably stop using those (even though I used a 3" Remington Nitro on last years Tom, it did the job well). They are no fun at the range.

My question is do you think there would be enough recoil difference between a 2 3/4" 12 gauge out of the Pardner Turkey (it has the slug in the buttstock so it weighs approx. 6 1/2 lbs.) and a 2 3/4" 20 gauge out of a standard Pardner with full choke to justify downsizing?

Thanks
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: 12 Gauge Pardner Turkey vs. Standard Pardner 20 Gauge Recoil
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:33:42 AM »
I have identical twins in 22" 12ga & 20ga.  I only shoot 2 3/4 shells.  YES, there is a difference in "felt recoil".  Both mine are wood stocked and have no weights in the "stock bolt hole" and both have factory recoil pads.

If you can find one of the early TDC 20ga models, they have a 26" barrel, only 2" longer than the standard turkey gun.  You would have the screw chokes and a vent-rib.  OR  The youth Pardner synthetic with a 22" barrel, no vent-rib and screw chokes.(change to wood stock to help with "felt recoil")  Also, there are still a few of the youth turkey guns around, 20ga, 22" Full choke and camo stocks.

Just my $.02

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 04:27:16 PM »
Thanks Cookiemann, I'd love to find one of those early 20 Ga. TDC's with the 26" barrel. I
have a 20 gauge TDC on order from Wal-Mart right now that I'm giving to a friend of mine
who is just getting into hunting. I'll try that out first before I buy anything to see if I might want one.
I know it's a little long for turkey hunting but it seems like it might be a pretty versatile gun.

I'm also considering a plain jane 20 gauge Pardner with a full choke. Those have a 26" barrel
and it might be a nice lightweight turkey gun. My other option would be to send in my Pardner
Turkey receiver and get one of those barrels you mentioned such as the 22" choke tube barrel.
Decisions, decisions.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 05:02:23 AM »
Doublebass, I at one time owned 12 ga. and 20 ga. pardner barrels and have since sold the barrels. I now just have a 28 ga. The recoil of the 12 was more than I wanted to deal with. The 20 ga. was manageable for me but was just a little too much on the wife and grandkids. I think the 20 ga. would be good for whats ails ya.

My 20 ga. barrel went to a turkey hunter. It was full choke and the 26" version.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:07:13 AM »
Hey Mike,

I think I might end up going for the basic 20 gauge Pardner with full choke and 26" barrel.
I agree with you on the 12 being a little too much especially with my neck trouble. I wish it were legal to hunt turkeys with a 28. My 28 gauge is a pleasure to shoot and is my go to gun for birds and small game. I'd have no problem killing a Tom out to 25 yards with it and I like to call turkeys in close anyway.